Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Labs
Hiker

GoPro 8 and 9 have little control in the Supersuit housing for diving

[ New ]

Hello, 
I have been using the GoPro 7 for underwater use since it came out. I always use the camera in its housing while diving. With GP7 I can enter the tools menu (by pressing both buttons) and change individual settings like resolution, fps, shutter speed, white balance, exposure compensation... to adjust the camera to the varing lighting conditions we often find underwater. This total control of light offers excellent results.
I have now a GoPro 9 and I am surprised to find that this image control is lost. I can only access the different user pesets that need to be programmed on land before putting the camera in the housing. And I cannot adjust just a single setting, like for instance changing white balance depending on the lighting I use, or adjusting just the exposure for a particular backlit scence. 
Even if Gopro 9 is a powerfull camera it is a pity that its full potential cannot be used underwater due to the lack of adjustability. It seems like an effort has been done to simplify user interface for non professional users and important functions have been lost along the way.

It should be easy to include an option in the tools menu to enter in a submenu to change individual settings. Ideally, this menu could be personalized with the most often used parameters, and be shown on both screens, or at least in the large back screen because the front screen can be blocked by some underwater accessories. 

This is an example of the underwater scenes I could shoot with GP7 and I won't be able to do with GP9 unless a comple tool menu is implemented: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pi5Dwl9DBxs&t=63s

I would be glad to collaborate with suggestions or ideas to improve the underwater usability of GP9. There are few things that should be easy to include in a firmware update and could make GP an excellent underwater camera. Like locking white balance (with a 2 seconds side button press) for a particular scene. 
The market potential for divers can be huge too if a few issues are addressed.

Looking forward to hearing GoPro plans to improve usability underwater.

Regards,

GoPro Underwater scenes with a variety of technics
GoPro

Re: GoPro 8 and 9 have little control in the Supersuit housing for diving

[ New ]

It is an interesing point you make about the two button contol, but I imagine you intended this message for a different forum.  This forum is for GoPro Labs, currently custom firmware for HERO8.  However, alternative controls for the GoPro is a lot of what Labs enables. So when it comes to HERO9, you might be able to use QR Codes to gain the missing settings.  QR Codes for diving will have it own limitations, but I sure there are imaginative solutions. 

Hiker

[ New ]

yes, Besides a whole control two-button menu I was thinking about maybe using QR codes underwater which will be much quicker than the two buttons tools menu. 
Can the QR codes change just a single parameter of the settings? for instance: can I use a QR to change only white balance and leave the other settings as they are at that moment in the camera? or does the QR code have to include a whole set of adjustments for all the parameters?
I often only have to change one or two parametes and leave the rest as they are. 
If a complete two-button adjustment menu is included in the labs firmware update of the GP9 (when available) it will be a huge step forward. I teach advance underwater gopro techniques and right now I have to advice my students to buy or keep their GoPro 7 because it is much more versatile inside a housing than a GP 8 or 9.
Would it be possible to contact someone in the GoPro team to address this issue? I am sure someone in charge of taking decisions has simply not thought about this huge potential of the new GoPros for the underwater market that is being wasted for not including some lines of code in the labs firmware. 
New firmware could include an "advance tools option" that would enable the two-buttons tool menu of the GP7 but shown in the back screen. This way most "land" users can keep it out the way and only divers ebable it to gain full control.
Please feel free to give my contact (info@glowdive.com) to anyone who could develop this option in the GoPro team. I really think I can help to improve many functions.
Thanks

GoPro

[ New ]

All commands can be separable.  w55 <- whitebalance 5500K,   w28 = 2800K, etc.

Labs will not be adding the two button menus controls.  Labs is only successful as it can add features and controls without changing the camera UI, so it is significantly less work.

I will forward your concerns.

Hiker

[ New ]

Thank you. It would be so good if someone at GoPro could take care of this. It is a problem that is recurrent conversation among divers. We always believe that the underwater market is marginal compared to the action sports market, but it's not negligible and spends good money renewing gear if is well taken care of.
Meanwhile, labs and QR can be a good solution when it comes available for GP9. In fact, it can be a fast way to change values carring an underwater booknote of QRs. Can't wait to try it...