Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Labs
Hiker

GPS Time sync: time is off by 30mn

[ New ]

Hi!

I'm using 4 Hero 9, all with GPS Time Synchronization enable.

I noticed that sometime, some Gopro have their time off by exactly 30 mn.

BTW : I'd like to have an option to force the time synchronization. That feature that don't change hour/day is a drawback for me.

GoPro

Re: GPS Time sync: time is off by 30mn

[ New ]
Just use the time sync QR code first. GPS is in UTC, so it would only be possible to set local time without a time zone. The difference between the camera's local time and GPS time is the computed time zone. If you want UTC, there is now a UTC option at qrcntrl.com
Hiker

[ New ]

If I use a smartphone to set the Hero clock to UTC, that will use my smartphone clock, which could be off with the Gps. So no, it's not a good option for me: More work to set all the Gopro, and less accurate.

The Gps time sync is way better for me : Just fire (power on) and forget.

GoPro

[ New ]
You only need to set your camera clock once. The reason it was 30minute off is you camera's clock had drifted too far. Set it once a month, or whenever you remove the battery for more than 24 hours. The GPS Sync works automatically as long as the internal clock +/- 5 minutes accurate.
Hiker

[ New ]
Hi!
It's exactly what I don't like.
Is my camera clock too far ? Did I remove the battery ?
Now that the cam is on, is it correctly synced ? And my cam n°2, n°3, n°4...
It's a waste of time.

Maybe there is a useful usecase for this behaviour, but I don't see anyone.
GoPro

[ New ]

So you only want GPS based UTC time? And you don't want your timezone preserved? That can be considered for a future release.  

GoPro

[ New ]
Use the camera once a month and the clock will not have drifted too far. Or set time if the battery is removed for more than a day, these are the conditions used to preserve timezone. Everything else is not separate issue, as whether a particular camera sync'd with GPS is still a factor in either setup.
Hiker

[ New ]

Local time or UTC, it doesn't matter for me.

So if you think that you can add a UTC GPS Timesync "whatever how it changes the Hero clock", I'll be very happy with it.

GoPro

[ New ]

All you want is the timezone information turned off. The default behavior has the timezone extracted from the current RTC time. So by ignoring timezone your time and date would be up to 12 hours off local time. For multiple cameras, that are only GoPro HERO9s, this could work in some limited productions. Whereas the current solution was designed for the more common time-of-day timecode, used when mixing GoPros with other cameras. However, there is a hack you might want to try: !MZONE=<minute offset>  so !MZONE=-420 is my tz, for PDT (7 hours behind). This way GPS + ZONE metadata, will get you local time timecode, even if your RTC is very wrong.  The risk you are taking by not setting your RTC (recommended) is some timecode will be wrong if the GPS signal lock is not received before the capture clip ends. No GPS + no valid RTC = bad timecode. Setting RTC is simply insurance.