Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Labs
Nomad

Future Feature? Timewarp Stabilization

[ New ]

Please, if it's even possible with the hardware could you guys consider some form of Timewarp stabilization axis settings?

I've been shooting a lot of driving night lapses which are sadly very prone to instability with the many awfuls roads around here but still look pretty decent. I attempted a day time drive the other day with Timewarp thinking it would be great for smoothing out the rough roads. However after spending a ton of time very precisely centering the camera's postion to get the right persepctive lines with the road the Timewarp video I ended up with constaly drifted right & left when all I needed was something to help smooth out pot holes and the rotation caused by uneven roads. I assume a longer trip down a straight stretch of road may work better as I was turning often with the city driving & I'm sure the algorithm was just trying to help but it was a rather big dissapointment that it so heavily ruined the framing. Even more odd was it would tilt the frame every so slightly off rotationally while driving and then adjust back to the proper framing when the car was stopped.

I know it's a long shot but some ability to choose which axis is stabilized, or some strength adjustment would be amazing.

GoPro

Re: Future Feature? Timewarp Stabilization

[ New ]

I find regular timelapse for car mounted shoots finem=, however I agree a horizon look for TimeWarp would be nice.  In TimeWarp can be made more stable using the zoom -- zoom in a little and the results will be more stable.

Nomad

Re: Future Feature? Timewarp Stabilization

[ New ]

I'll certainly have to try out the zoom method the next opportunity i have. Does the horizon lock feature not even extend to TimeLapse or Warp on the recently released 9?

I believe the previous attempt at a TimeWarp driving was using 15x so perhaps choosing a lesser time multiplication would result in less dramatic smoothing. I'll definitely test out an assortment of configurations.

If you can put in the good word for some sort of horizon lock and pan lock for people shooting locked down moving videos on a future Hero8 or even Hero9 (i'm sure eventually I'll pick one up) Labs release I know I & I'd assume other could get much use out of that. Would also work very well for those of us who do long bike rides but want the stabilization & specific fluid visual style of TimeWarp without all the drifting frame issues it causes.