Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see if it is on our Update page.
GoPro Labs
Adventurer

FW 1.70.75 issues Post here

[ New ]

I have started this thread because I downlaoded and installed the  latest beta firmware.   My first issue   is

1. a BLank screen. a 12 second press  was needed, a battery pull as well. if I taken off the firmware the blank screen does not happen.

Adventurer

Re: FW 1.70.75 issues Post here

[ New ]

Shut down  eratic flicer with  closing for 30 plus seconds. with the   QR schedule.

GoPro

[ New ]

Yes, you are correct and I have just confirmed this bug. Fortunately it can be avoided as it only happens with a particular sequence. The start-up bug happens when you insert the battery, wait for a couple seconds after the LED flash, then insert the SD card, then power on within the first 10 seconds. If you insert the SD card more than 10 seconds after the battery or any time before the battery, or at the same time as the battery it doesn't happen. This will be investigated for any future Lab builds.

GoPro

[ New ]

"Shut down  eratic flicer with  closing for 30 plus seconds. with the   QR schedule"

Sorry, I don't understand this report.

Hiker

[ New ]

Oh I got the shutdown flickering on shutdown as well once.

It kind of just looked like all the messages that popped up when you scan codes flickering over the shutdown message, then the gopro shut down fine. I'm trying to reproduce it but I haven't been able to yet, but I'll keep you updated and try to get a video of it happening if I work out how.

Nomad

[ New ]

Charge the GoPro with the original USB cable, then switch it on - the display remains black. Unplug cable, display becomes active, cable can be plugged in again. Recording starts - the battery is not charged but is sucked empty despite the external power supply!

After removing the SD card and battery and reinserting the SD and battery, the GoPro freezes after switching on. The battery must be removed and reinserted. Then the GoPro can be switched on and off without errors. Such errors already existed with firmware 1.6 !!

Adventurer

[ New ]

As I am on FW 1.7.75 betaware here: 

I have charged the camera with it being in the OFF, I noticed  the camera came on at 100% full. I am again seeing  if that will happen once more. as the Led stayed on at 100% so the glitch did not happen  (not trying to bring in existing firmware issues)

I also taken note which  if I give a command for 5 seconds I  expect 5 seconds of video it gave me 7 seconds.  and the actual file is 7 seconds.  any ideas of this?

GoPro

[ New ]

"I expect 5 seconds of video it gave me 7 seconds. "  That is normal.  It isn't attempting to be to the second precise.  Typically this feature would be to stop recording after an hour (say for timelapse), it will stop within a few seconds of an hour too.

Tourist

[ New ]

Should the camera, phone app, or Quik reflect this version once it is applied?

Nomad

[ New ]
With the current firmware 1.7 I recommend not to charge the battery in the camera! Even if it is 100% full, the charging LED continues to light ... I can not rule out that the battery is still being charged ...
Adventurer

[ New ]

As I came across the  next issue of my Username simply  staying on until I   tapped the screen. and   after the camera off once again I get the Quick capture Desabled, and the BLAN screen of Death,  I also will have he next issue as soon as i get confirmation not here to pick on every single detail but is that not what Beta testers share issues.

Adventurer

[ New ]

COnfirming that Quick capture is 100% an issue with setting up.  I set the scheduled recording, and after the commands are over my quick capture is   off. I also can say if I set off for 1 minute . it won;t do thecommand and trying to get help from a website  team here simply  was trying t osay it works, while it does not, we love to see these f eatures in full action from the Team players the nsaying it works. like a pet rock I say 

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi,   files I've recorded on 1.70.75 are not working in ReelSteady version 1.0.9.  I've tried two different Hero 8's . Message in ReelSteady says no metadata found,

Camera settings:

GPS: Off

4K 4:3

30 fps

Hypersmooth: Off

.LRV, .MP4, .THM files all there on card.  

Anyone else seeig this?

Tourist

[ New ]

Nevermind,  I saw in another thread that a new version if Reelsteady will be out in a few days,

Adventurer

[ New ]

As I  taken note   I found out hte hard way;  QuciCapture gets desabled using the QR. so whenwe want to set things up. get the shot, and then go about  using the Gopro the normal way, that is where the fun starts. 

I learned that  the  auto power off was fun to oC5 is 5 minutes. I thought tossing in oC1 would be 1 minute. it  changed to never for me. so  are theyse commands even accepted to the camera or the ones they post are.  the full list does not offer all the commands it just gets you started.

The list of troubles will out weigh the use for me, but that will start to get lower each use and time I figure gopro's issues out on my own.  I thought I had a fine line on my vids, can be my youtube side.  but one may never know.  I like my camera to work 100% then the Blac screen of Death with fw 1.70.75, not an existing trouble its a new trouble that was created when loading. goFigure its a gopro   back to and will reload back to and will reload, the story of my life. I do not need a Timer right now but if I do I know where to come.   GoPro can simply add the timer in and keep the software Beta!.

Nomad

[ New ]

Yes, that happened to me too. Where is the info on a new version of REelSteady GO?

Hiker

[ New ]

WTF! The clips (fron latest H8B labs FW) are not being recognized by Reel Steady Go (also latest FW 1.0.9)

First big-time promoted as optimized, and then nothing working.. as often usual at GoPro.

I am pretty disappointed and also upset.

Screen Shot 2020-06-01 at 9.57.54 PM.png
Hiker

[ New ]

Also, new clips were generated at file size 4.01 instead of promoted 12GB.

GoPro

[ New ]

This has been discussed on the forum.

- ReelSteady's Labs update is going to be out it a few days. 

- 12GB is actived https://gopro.github.io/labs/control/chapters/, it is recommended you restart your camera once it has read the code. 

Hiker

[ New ]

I restarted my cam, double-checked FW version and so on, BUT it did not do the 12GB file recording, see screenshot.

Say what, Reel Steady not active yet.. Why do they currently post & promote it then on the Labs pages?????

"1. ReelSteady GO Optimization

This firmware optimizes HERO8 Black’s in-camera rolling shutter correction to be more suitable for ReelSteady GO stabilization. This will guarantee you get the best post-stabilization out of your HERO8 Black."

Screen Shot 2020-06-01 at 11.51.33 PM.png
Nomad

[ New ]

Heh - it's a beta and not an official firmware!
Errors can be expected - even if you don't like it ...

List all errors, write what you did how and when the error occurs.

You can be disappointed and upset if the errors in the official firmware are still there  ;)

Tourist

[ New ]

I am fine with having issues with beta versions.

That's part of the testing.process. But if they are promoting the new support for RS, they should provide us with a link to a beta version of RS that can read the metadata.

Hiker

[ New ]

@oliverz513 - Regardless of a beta version, GoPro should noy promote or promise features that are not implemented yet (which one of the GoPro guys confirmed now) or not working at all. - It's a big difference is a new feature is being tested and has issues, which I am ok with, but this is just a bad joke. 

Hiker

[ New ]

@aespid I agree, and this is the least they should do if they care.

I lost a full day of shooting (flying, driving, etc.) as I can't use any of today's footage. Really pissed..

Hiker

[ New ]

@0dan0 - Just to be clear, you guys listed "Reel Steady optimization" on top of the new Labs FW features,  and here is another quote ("PRO TIP" - LMAO) that shows how "negligent" wrong info is being spread..

"PRO TIP: You will not lose any pre-existing modes or features on your HERO8 Black—this update simply adds more features."

Link: https://community.gopro.com/t5/en/Introducing-GoPro-Labs/ta-p/603173

Nomad

[ New ]

I understand the anger and frustration, but honestly, before I use a new (beta) version, I test it and do not use it for productive recordings;) Then such errors would be recognized immediately and you have time for the last current version to get back, with which the desired function also worked.
So for the future. First read in the forum - others have already discussed this fact extensively, only then test whether what you expect really works and then use it productively!

I'm curious when a customized version of ReelSteady will be available for download ...

Nomad

[ New ]
Again. This is not beta firmware. And GoPro knew when itvwas released that an upgrade of ReelSteady GO was required but did not inform us.
This is NOT an unknown "bug". GoPro does not need it to be tested. The inability to work was known to them. Stop blaming users for not testing. GoPro broke established principals of even beta versions by not indicating a known bug.
Adventurer

[ New ]

Takes some time to get used to how gopro lays things out.  This is clear as day Beta firmware

noted on the camera prompt till the User clears , then you can call it your own whatever.  As we Find commands within the camera and only what GoProlabs allowed, we try our best to create our own and share, but at  times we come across a issue and we scream to  Earths end,  so here I will do my worst to get my point across.

For example !2O

ezgif.com-video-to-gif.gif

And we get them to work, while  0dan0  will say  this:

yesterday
Re: How to Auto shut down after an Schedule How to.

If we look deeper into this discussion; Below the  Auto Off command is there and GoPro Won't allow you to set anything outside  of oC5, oC15, oC30, never and here is a perfect example getting to the issues at hand

02.png

As I  know certain commands can be set within screens, here you will see failure at first with the command oC1.  as the command is correctly entered to Preference/General looking at Auto off it fails to show, because  the   command must be entered for this on the Live feed first, for this  feature, while others it will accept, a hit-n-miss.  

ezgif.com-video-to-gif.gif

Now lets show you what oC1 does not do and why?  As the Code oC1 is Auto power off at 1 minute, GoProlabs "Excluded"  1 min, 2 min, 3 min, 4 min, 6 min etc. etc. they most likely excludes seconds as well, and only allowed 5 min, 15 min and 30 min what the actual camera has defaulted and in there, that is the only allowedc ommand, Beta firmware  is "Limited by Goprolabs"

ezgif.com-video-to-gif (1).gif

When I  created a topic for  a   command help post here.. trying to figure out how I can get theschedule  recording to simply shut down, I resolved it. and that I hope will help others out.  We clearly see there is  way more issues, requests and some.  Beta testing this is.

I hope I made just a little sense, but the street is wide, and goes both ways and leads to many different paths, as long as we head in the right direction and get things resolved  then brush off issues gopro has to fix what is broken first, before they can advance further.  not a GoPro fan boy. I'll  show-n-tell right to

Nomad

[ New ]

There is no excusing GoPro releasing this firmware and promoting a feature knowing in advance the feature does not work. That is not a characteristic of "beta" anything. It is a violation of standards of any organization to issue something that they know does not work without informing users. "Known" bugs have nothing to do with beta. "Beta" is about users helping to find bugs that the developers overlooked, as the OP is doing, however inarticulate he is. The ReelSteady GO issue is not about discovering a bug. It is behavior by GoPro that is unaccpetable. We do not want them to ever do this again, so it is not helpful to try to excuse it or cover it up. And we want them to fix the issue so that the footage that has already been shot can be used.

Adventurer

[ New ]

@jenzeee  Are you referring   a hero 7 black as well? 

@nicewave25336   if jenzeee referred on post in page 3  mess 17, about fw 1.09.09 that is the hero 7 black, and  the issue is with RS not fw 1.70.75 its an existing issue if asked.   

I totally agree, fix first before releasing!

Blank screen of Death I call it. came about with FW 1.70. many reported   a blank screen of death before fw 1.70.75 due to sd card inserts, or simple camera turn on, yet when  no one said a 12 second press corrected it, the  resolution was return to gopro.   so is this  related to an existing issue, we (I) do not know.  So  Iagree with all on Realsteady go  if  it was not present and came about then its an issue.  I shown  exactly my issue  and hope gopro can resolve it with further testing, and that is exactly what they are looking for:

Us Users to do their  work for FREE!.  while allowed to use Beta firmware to ztest, report any issue  that happens, and if the camera renders DEAD, gopro  waives a warranty  replacement!.

Now that is something no. 9 says a lot about it  Lol

IMHO.

FISH

Hiker

[ New ]

@fishycomics ??

Well I am only referring to H8B.

Afaik, Labs is not compatible with H7B or any other model.

Adventurer

[ New ]

@jenzeee wrote:

@fishycomics??

Well I am only referring to H8B.

Afaik, Labs is not compatible with H7B or any other model.

thank you, when other firmware was added that was what I thought I read.   why I asked. thanks again.

Tourist

[ New ]

for those saying it's not beta:

Although GoPro state on the Labs page:

Don’t think of it as a beta experience, though. Think of GoPro Labs as an insider look at innovative features our top engineers are playing with ... In fact, these features may never make it to a camera release, but they’re cool enough and cooked enough to give you a taste.

To my mind if it's possibly never going to make it to an official firmware (GoPro Website) then I see Beta 

Also did anyone actually read at the bottom? Probably most didn't.

Beta Participation Terms and Conditions

That kind of sums it up 100% that this is beta testing.

Nomad

[ New ]

Although Labs (Insider / Beta) program is clearly described and there is a "beta participation requirement" that can be automatically accepted by using the SW, some are expected to be free of errors, the announcements are 100% correct, then set them Software productive and do not want to see that the latter was their own fault ... So there is no point in discussing further here.

Due to the discussion, it would certainly be desirable for GoPro to finally point out on the Labs website on firmware 1.7 that videos are not compatible with ReelSteady current version 1.0.9. If there is already a test version here, a link to it!

However, it must be clear that this can certainly be a function that will never be adopted into an official firmware and in the end there will also be no customized version of ReelSteady - with which videos that were recorded with firmware 1.7 may never be processed with ReelSteady .
By the way: I also have problems with RaceRender with these videos - GPS data is recognized, exported, but then no longer used (e.g. speedometer).

I have reported here and at RaceRender - we will see what comes out of it.

Tourist

[ New ]

Regarding the issues with ReelSteady, the best is to reach out to the ReelSteady team and they will provide you with the links to the latest build that is compatible with this firmware.

I installed it earlier today and it works great. :)

Nomad

[ New ]

ReelSteady Support already contacted about a new software - no response received yet ....

Nomad

[ New ]

@aespid  maybe you post the link where you can load the software - or is it not for Windows?

Hiker

[ New ]
Nomad

[ New ]

"Invalid Movie" ... possible that it is because the video was recorded with QuickCapture ...

Hiker

[ New ]

RS Go works only with the original file generated from the GoPro, plus you have to meet the requirements in your settings, e.g. Stabilization off, no 24fps, etc. If it is an QuickCapture export file RS won't work.

Nomad

[ New ]

THANK YOU! Then I have to do all the tests again without QuickCapture. This info (did I miss it?) would have been helpful at the beginning on the GoPro website ...

Tourist

[ New ]

I inserted the card first, then the battery and still had the issue. 

@0dan0 wrote:

Yes, you are correct and I have just confirmed this bug. Fortunately it can be avoided as it only happens with a particular sequence. The start-up bug happens when you insert the battery, wait for a couple seconds after the LED flash, then insert the SD card, then power on within the first 10 seconds. If you insert the SD card more than 10 seconds after the battery or any time before the battery, or at the same time as the battery it doesn't happen. This will be investigated for any future Lab builds.

Tourist

[ New ]

Burn-in will fail after minutes of recording.

Adventurer

[ New ]

@businessman9 wrote:

Burn-in will fail after minutes of recording.

Would you Post up the QR code and command for your issue please?

Hiker

[ New ]

@oliverz513 "THANK YOU! Then I have to do all the tests again without QuickCapture."

- You're welcome

"This info (did I miss it?) would have been helpful at the beginning on the GoPro website ..."

- Well now you can feel my previous frustration a bit better, right? ;)

Hiker

[ New ]

@oliverz513 - Just a quick story how GoPro's lack of communication cause a "costly" domino effect for me..

So, I shot some fpv footage with the new Labs FW three days ago and then found out that Reel Steady was not compatible. And due to the fact RS does not work when in-body "stabilization" (Hypersmooth) is on, the footage looked pretty "shaky". - However, no RS update was available the day after, so I decided to downgrade back to v1.6 and take the shots again, at the same place only for that reason. And guess what?! - First flight, 10 secs after take off my battery died next to road and on top of it my FPV quad (incl. H8B) got rolled over - RIP my dear quad and H8B. 

Needless to mentioned that I was not (and still not) in a good mood. Maybe not directly GoPro's fault, but if they had done a better job on communication, this would have never happened.

And now, RS Go update not working with my Hero 5 Session.. can it still get worse?!?

IMG_2432 copy.JPG
Nomad

[ New ]
It looks really bad - I can understand your anger.
Adventurer

[ New ]

Preference /General/Default modes:

FW 1.00-F1.6 were Profiles, example Standard, Cinematic, burst, slow mo,  last  setting.

FW  1.70.75 now last setting used, Timelapse mode, Video mode, Photo Mode

I am set to Video Mode by Default Mode;  As I simply set  up say mV, or mP all is fine, if I  placed in a code, that  Iwas helping out prior, my default mode kicks to Timelapse.   if and when I find the codes again, or the issue I will report again.  I say   just make sure when you use the QR side of the firmware these are the issues to expect,  

FISH

GoPro

[ New ]

switching modes is only temporary.  So "mV" for "mode Video", will not change what mode the camera will boot, which will follow the default preset preferences. You can change the default.  So "dV" will set "default Video",  like "dT" for timelapse and "dP" for default photo.

Adventurer

[ New ]

Problem is after a QR is set,  the default mode  from video was changed  . does not matter if I used an example or not, it happened.  think I  mentioned that.