Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Labs
Hiker

Re: FW 1.70.75 issues Post here

[ New ]

I've had way too many gliches with this FW 1.70.75 (now my 2.7K video's don't work... (error message says, "format the SD drive")

HOW DO I GET MY GOPRO 8 BACK TO THE ORIGINAL VERSION 1.6?  :(

GoPro

[ New ]

2.7K works fine, I expect something else is causing the issue, not the firmware. You can install 1.6, just as you need 1.70.75. Download from here: https://gopro.com/en/us/update/hero8-black

Adventurer

[ New ]

Dumping fw 1.70.75 for FW 1.60  

transferring files camera is not on at all, bat pull   back to the Norm

Reloaded twice fw 1.6, fw 1.60,    If you're going to get these new issues (For me) then my suggestion is think about fixing  your gopro first, worry bout Beta last.   these  issues are existing and also created by GoPro.  keep you posted how many more times this fails to operate again

Nomad

[ New ]

After I updated to FW 1.7 for the second time and then (apparently important!) reset to factory settings, my 8er now works perfectly!

However, there are some ambiguities: why does the 8 sometimes get hot, sometimes not (always the same battery and the same SD card)? Why is the battery sometimes discharged with an external power supply, sometimes not (always the same power supply, same cable, same battery)? What exactly happens when you insert the battery? Why does one obviously have to wait 5-10 seconds after inserting the camera until the camera can be reproducibly switched on immediately? If you switch on too early, nothing happens (or the display is black, but the backlight is on ...) - then I have to hold the power button down for 10 seconds, then the camera switches off and I can switch it on again without any problems. . (since FW 1.6 like this!). Why is the battery, which is 100% charged, charged anyway with an external power supply - at least the charging LED lights up - actually it should go out after a few seconds, since the battery is full (but sometimes that is exactly what happens ...) ?! These are behavior patterns that make no sense to me as a whole, because they only sometimes exist ...

Adventurer

[ New ]

As I know my camera I will warn (My Notes)   that after the Beta added, the Fun begins,  camera now with QCused stayed on, all do to whatever updated bug left in, this is  what happened.  oh I was to finish the issue. I will...

GoPro

[ New ]
There is a confirmed bug in the boot sequence of 1.70.75. The camera boots whenever you add the battery, plug in the USB or insert the SD card, it then checks for any other action, this is normal. This process is necessarily more complex for Labs as it also uses awake-up timers for any planned recording. If you press power within the first 10 seconds it is suppost to boot very quickly, as it is already on. Normally the camera shuts down again after 10 seconds, without even waking the two displays. If you press power within 5 seconds of adding the battery, everything is fine, it boots up normally. If you press power anytime after 10+ seconds, everything is fine, does a fresh boot. It is pressing power between 5-10 seconds after inserting the battery, or SD card, etc. that the weirdness happens, leaving the camera is a on, but fully runnning state. Such a weird bug, why we missed it, but we finally know what it is, and will address it in future builds. 

This is the nature of Labs, there will always be more bugs than the main release, as the testing process is much shorter (by design.) This was the necessary trade-off as full testing is very time consuming and Labs adds so many more permutations. 
Highlighted
Nomad

[ New ]

Thank you! But THAT is information that should actually be read on the website in exactly the same way!
Because then you know how to best handle the camera ...
Why do you only have to find out something like this in the forum?

Adventurer

[ New ]

@oliverz513  they more or less could have warned you, they did not.    I reverted back, and you just heard a member that they are being decline, if they do not show documentations of issues. gopro never know with them?  And here a Engineer  says  there is a issue, so happy he did not say " we will pass this to a team, and   check the site  for future updates.... Lol

Hiker

[ New ]

I do like the features that this firmware has enabled, and the idea of being able to print out QRs for quick set of common modes is great rather than fumbling on the screen.

shame quick capture doesn't work now, I found that a really useful feature .  Is there any work around for re enabling this feature ?

thanks.

GoPro

[ New ]

QuikCapture works fine, it just can't be used with any of the the time-delay starts command.  So you will have reenable QuikCapture if you have done a delay start recording. You can even use a QR Code enable QuikCapture.

Qr_QuikCapture On_.png
Hiker

[ New ]

0dan0 thanks for reply and that's great to know it can work.

just for useful feedback though, QC did not work for me via toggling it via the menu so turning QC off / on etc did not re enable the feature with its inbuilt menus. 

maybe a previous QR setting I've used prevents it from working ?   I shall investigate further and report back.

Adventurer

[ New ]

After the finding out QC desables. I manually  turn on  and press the QC. and off I go.   so now we're hearing this Firmware may have   caused a fault, or be faulty, sounds good to me.

Tourist

[ New ]

I can't set the FOV to narrow, when using fN the camera is set to wide.

GoPro

[ New ]

'fN' use Zoom on the camera for the same effect. However the video mode used needs to support zoom, e.g. 1080p.

Adventurer

[ New ]

thank you for deleting the two posts, a forum is about sharing issues and findings to all ..  thank you for your understanding.

Adventurer

[ New ]

as I reverted back   nothing to report of isuses.