Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Labs
Hiker

Delayed action command for night photo

[ New ]

I'm still struggling with this for some reason when I try & set up a delayed action photo to repeat every 50 seconds the camera wakes up at the specified time takes one picture then does not repeat the command. 

I am trying to photograph the night sky so I would like the camera to wake up at 23:30 take photos every 50 seconds & turn off 3 hours later. 

This is the code I've been using !23:30NmPN!S!10800E!50R but all it will do is wake up take 1 photo & then stay on idle.

Thanks,

GoPro

Re: Delayed action command for night photo

[ New ]

What you want to do requires a more complex command. The commandyou used will take one photo each day at 11:30pm.  

Your command explained: !23:30NmPN!S!10800E!50R

!23:30N <- wake at 11:30pm

mPN <- set the mode to Photo Night

!S <- take a photo

!10800E <- wait three hours (this is used for video modes or timelapse modes.)

!50R <- then 50s after three hours repeat everything.

If you used a time lapse mode you command would mostly work, yet the battery wouldn't likely last three hours, so you would need external power.

What command needs (for your original intent) is a conditional.

>02:30<23:30!23:30N~!50NmPN!S!R

>02:30<23:30  If (time > 2:30am && < 23:30)

!23:30N                  nap into 11:30pm

~                       else

!50NQ                    nap quickly for 50s

mPN                set the mode to Photo Night

!S                    take a photo

!R                    repeat

Basically this is what the construction time-lapse calculator does for the daytime projections: https://gopro.github.io/labs/control/construction/

Hiker

[ New ]

Thanks that's brilliant will try it out when we get some clear skies again. 

Hiker

[ New ]

This code does not work either according to my tests if the camera is activated by this command it wakes takes 1 pic and then just stays turned on it does not repeat the take photo command.

I'd like the camera to wake up at 23:30 and take night photos every 50 seconds and at 02:30 I'd like the camera to switch off, the above command does not do this.

GoPro

[ New ]

It works here.  In the MISC folder is a qrlog.txt file, send that to me it will hopeful show where the error is.

Tourist

[ New ]

This sample looks like it would be doing exactly what I want and that I could use it with slight modifications for both daytime, night and sunset lapses and capture the raws I want...but its driving me nuts and I can't figure out what is wrong in my syntax. 

>02:30<23:30  If (time > 2:30am && < 23:30) -
!23:30N                  nap into 11:30pm

I interpret this as if time is between x and y, nap untill z, wake up and get going. However, if I put in say

>14:00<10:00!10:00N~!30NmP!S!R

to capture between 10:00 and 14:00 hours and nap until start time (or at least as long as the battery lasts), the camera will just start shooting after 30 seconds even if the time is 08:00 at the moment of setting this.

However If I set the sample code you provided, it will work properly and how x hours untill start and go back to sleep. Its confusing.

GoPro

[ New ]

A number that is both >14:00 AND <10:00 doesn't exit. If we supported OR that would have worked, but these stacked conditions are always using AND. Also if we used time wrap-around style times number, nothing would work. A command like if(time>14:00) would be always true, as 13:00 tomorrow is greater.  These confidional are number based, describing the time within a day. And yes it is confusing.

but I think you want >10:00 and <14:00, that exists, then reverse you then-else commands.

So:

>10:00<14:00!30N~!10:00NmP!S!R

Tourist

[ New ]

@0dan0 wrote:

A number that is both >14:00 AND <10:00 doesn't exit. If we supported OR that would have worked, but these stacked conditions are always using AND. Also if we used time wrap-around style times number, nothing would work. A command like if(time>14:00) would be always true, as 13:00 tomorrow is greater.  These confidional are number based, describing the time within a day. And yes it is confusing.

but I think you want >10:00 and <14:00, that exists, then reverse you then-else commands.

So:

>10:00<14:00!30N~!10:00NmP!S!R

Hmm. I will try! Thanks for enlightment! :)

Not unfamiliar with simple code and script stuff (web dev) so I would rather like to try learn a ittle of this than just copying stuff w/o knowing at all how it works. When you ain't got error logs its kind of stumbling in the dark as well :D

Labs functionality and this approach that allows us to test stuff is really cool stuff tho. You guys at GoPro are really at something here. Kudos!