Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Labs
Tourist

Can you auto start IMU triggers on start up?

[ New ]

I really like the idea of using the IMU trigger to auto start recording and stopping, however I don't like having to scan a QR code every time I power up the GoPro.  Is there a way to configure this to be the default setting so it is enabled all the time?  Or enabled until canceled somehow?  If so, how do you configure this?

Thanks!

GoPro

Re: Can you auto start IMU triggers on start up?

[ New ]

The best way is to use the boot metadata command. With this power comes some risk, don't set a boot command that doesn't work, as it will run every time the camera powers on (with or without an SD card.) 

Test you desired startup command like: mVr4K30!SI5-7D1H5!3R

mode Video, res 4K 30fps,  Start IMU Trigger with sensitive 5, end sensitivity 7, Delay 1s,  Hold 5s, repeat after 3 second. 

So the new boot QR Command is this form:   !MBOOT="mVr4p30!SI5-7D1H5!3R"

Try it here: https://gopro.github.io/labs/control/set/?cmd=!MBOOT="mVr4p30!SI5-7D1H5!3R"

Pressing the shutter button will cancel the script. 

To fully remove the boot command you need to erase it with !MBOOT=""

https://gopro.github.io/labs/control/set/?cmd=!MBOOT=""

Tourist

[ New ]

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

Hiker

[ New ]

Can a string be displayed on start up using !MBOOT? I don't see how to get quotes in quotes, or into a loaded script.

GoPro

[ New ]
You can already display boot text with !MOWNR="User information".  If you want additional text displayed, you can also use OWNA through OWNZ.  You can add a very long complex message if you like.  There is limited memory for this, so I don't think you can use all 26 messages with a lot of text, also that would delay QR scanning 26 seconds.  

Your other idea is a very good one: use a script. This would use the SD card, so that is not limited by non-volatile memory storage. This is the way all boot commands should be done (way safer.)

Create your boot script like this

!SAVEboot=mVr4p30!SI5-7D1H5!3R

Then set you boot command to load the script: 

!MBOOT="!Lboot"

Now for your other idea for using quotes in scripts to display messages, I just found a small bug in that.  The script save command is fine with quotes, just not spaces.  So !SAVEmessage="Hello World" will only display "Hello". However, I have found a work around, use \5 for spaces.  So !SAVEmessage="Hello\5World\nIt\5is\5a\5good\5day."  Works correctly.
GoPro

[ New ]

@5zero7rc Please see the update not on the safely way of using boot command, using !MBOOT="!Lboot" and then having a boot script on the SD card.

Hiker

[ New ]

All of my QR codes are printed. To allow changes, I use the form "!L00000". This briefness also makes the QR code the smallest possible (#1, 21x21) while enabling the highest error correction. The script sets up, then calls a second script for the repeating part. I don't use !SAVE, I just edit the files on the memory card. I can't recall why.

\5 ... I wouldn't have thought of that. Is there a work-around for using < or > in scripts?

Another idea for making boot scripts safer is to allow different scripts for powering on and quick capture. I don't know that I even have a use for a boot script, but now that I know they exist, I will probably find a use that I can't live without.

I appreciate all of your work on this. These features set GoPro apart from the imitators.

GoPro

[ New ]
Since the 2021 builds for Labs, the < and > conditionals should now work in scripts.

Adding script files manually may allow more complex scripts, but the !SAVEscript= is super convenient when in the field. Most smartphones don't have an SD Card slot for editing scripts.

Quick Capture will somewhat bypass the boot script anyway, and QC is so fast, it is running before the QR processing starts. If the camera is recording the boot action will not be performed.
Hiker

[ New ]
Hey,
what about !u for USB trigger and !MBOOT ?
How will they perform together?
GoPro

[ New ]

Probably okay, but I don't see must advantage to combining them.   USB start already issues a command at boot. 

Hiker

[ New ]

OdanO -  How do you add script files? Is there a way to store them on the SD card and boot from them?

Tourist

[ New ]

Yes, there is a way to do exactly that.

https://youtu.be/8sI32YEwzhY