Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see if it is on our Update page.
GoPro Labs
Hiker

Bug Report | GoPro Hero 8 | Camera Crashes during Record/Streaming (typically within 5-10 minutes)

[ New ]

As per title. GoPro is crashing within 5-10 minutes of starting a stream that's also recording, or just a standard record.

Has only started to occur after updating to the GoPro Labs Firmware v2.50.71

Previously did not use the GoPro Labs firmware.

When starting, I go through the same routine just to ensure consistency.

Details:

Camera - Hero 8 Black

Firmware Version - 02.50.71

Occurences - 4 (see image attached)

Modes used -

• Streaming (480p while saving to SD card, Other/RTMP)
  • Recording (1080p | 60 | SuperView)

SD Card - SanDisk Extreme 128GB A2 V30

Other Information -

• Owner Information has been set into the camera via QR Code
  • The GoPro has had no permanent overlay upon startup when crashes occurred
  • Sunset/Sunrise was used once prior to this to help configure GPS

Process:

1. Start camera
  2. Scan QR code to Erase Overlay
  3. Scan QR code to put speed data (date and time fields are left blank)
  4. Scan QR code for hotspot (I do usually repeat this even though the data is saved)
  5. Scan QR code for target address (Using Other/RTMP)
  6. Scan QR code to stream at 480P and save to SD card (3 of the 4 instances have been from streaming, the 1 instance of recording, recording was executed manually after performing steps 1 through 3)

As the camera is on a helmet and not connected through the app., I don't have a preview to monitor the camera.

Since this has happened several times, it's too risky to proceed continuing using this firmware since it's used for road safety.

I'm going to try revert to the current stable release, so I won't be able to provide any further updates.

GoPro Crash Report.png
GoPro

Re: Bug Report | GoPro Hero 8 | Camera Crashes during Record/Streaming (typically within 5-10 minute

[ New ]

It is not clear what you did?   Can you confirm that this failure is: Live stream + speed overlays + recording?  I have that combination (plus lap timer) running for 8 hours straight for an edurance autorace (although using an earlier Labs build.)  So it might be your camera needed a factory reset, or that the combination is too much, particularly if you make the overlays too large, it will eventually crash the camera.

Hiker

Re: Bug Report | GoPro Hero 8 | Camera Crashes during Record/Streaming (typically within 5-10 minute

[ New ]

Hey Dan,

Just using Speed Overlay, Top Right corner.

Vertical size 100

Horizontal size 0

Offset 10

QR Command: g1oMLFIN=0oMBRNO=10oMBURN="(0,60)[TR'GPS53%1.2f'm/s]"

I haven't managed to revert back to the previous Firmware so I managed to use it once again this morning.

Video feed crashed nearing the 8 minutes mark. I restarted the camera, restarted the stream and with no overlay, lasted the rest of the trip (about 33 mintues).

Here's the link to the video feed just as it crashes:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/961096927?t=0h7m15s

I am not sure if this is coincidence or not.

I only noticed after posting yesterday that the attached image on the original post shows 2 isntances of recording and 2 instances of streaming (there was a third instance of streaming I fixed halfway through the trip so didn't manage to snap that).

I will do a factory reset and update later today.

QR Code Setup_Speed.PNG
GoPro

[ New ]

Does it fail without the overlays?  A 60 pixel overlay should be fine, 100 pixel might be pushing it.  The video on twitch just stops, so it hard to learn anything significant from that.

Hiker

[ New ]

Without overlays, I had no issue. I did a factory reset and left it to stream with overlay on.

Was streaming locally to MonaServer and it went for 1hr 4min before it stopped streaming. The camera didn't freeze though.

As for the Twitch clip, when that happens, the camera just freezes as per the image in the original post. Screen is unresponsive and LED remains on. The camera can be forced shutdown by holding the power button and it repairs the file.

I was going to update a little bit later today as I am going to be hitting the road soon.

Will update then 👍

Hiker

[ New ]

Another crash today at around 10 minutes into the stream/record.

Next one I will do with stream only, no recording.

After that, I will do a no overlay while streaming and recording.

So far, the only time it hasn't crashed is when I had it sitting static on my desk. Every other crash has been during movement.

Would the actual video files be of any help?

I usually format the camera so mostof the footage has been erased but will retain anything from future instances.

IMG_20210324_183852.jpg
Hiker

[ New ]

Update on this.

Have had 2 livestreams since last post. Both with stream only, no recording.

Have not had any crashes.

However, after doing factory reset, the overlay is not giving off any GPS/Speed information.

I have scanned a QR code for Sunrise/Sunset to get a GPS lock, cancel the time delay, power the camera off and on, set the overlay, stream.

Unfortauntely, the information is still not displaying and just giving readouts of 0,0 coordinates or 0m/s speed reading.

Have double checked that the GoPro is receiving a GPS signal before streaming (as it's all outdoors).

GPS option is definitely on for the QR codes I have been generating.

GoPro

[ New ]
The sunrise/sunset hack is not a necessary step. Just enable GPS in the menu, and await around 60s with the camera outside, or until the location icon shows in white. I might take longer for the first lock after and factory reset.
Hiker

[ New ]

Hey Dan,

I have been trying over the last several days to get this to work and still no results.

I have been bringing it outside and waiting for the GPS icon as stated.

I have tried putting on the overlays then starting a stream.

Tried starting a stream then doing overlays.

Doing both speed and GPS coordinates, and making sure to have the 'Use GPS' box checked.

Still giving me 0 across the board.

20210330.png
GoPro

[ New ]

I don't think this is just a Labs issue, something else is going wrong.  Can record a short video outdoors (after GPS Lock) and send me the LRV file (dropbox link or similar.)  The overlay is just trying to display the metadata, so I need to check the metadata within a video file.  Metadata is indentical between LRV and MP4s.