Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Labs
Tourist

[Bug] Race speed overlay

[ New ]

Hiya folks,

Recently I bought a Hero 8 to use as both dashcam on my speedbike + for sports. I installed the Labs firmware to use the following functions: chaptering (so I could capture 1 ride in 1 file), and overlays for the date, time and GPS info.

I discovered that at a certain point in the ride, laps would be displayed instead of the Date / Time / GPS location, without enabling it. As I wanted to display the speed in km/h as well, I thought this function might do the job (the default overlay only shows meters/sec), and I (purposely this time) activated it with the oMLAPS=1 qrcode. As it only showed mph, I disabled it later again (oMLAPS=0), but the laps would keep coming back. I erased the overlays, and it stopped showing, but after setting the overlays for date/time/gps info it would pop up again. After removing Labs, installing the base firmware, then installing Labs again it would still show up when using overlays.

So somehow the oMLAPS=1 function is activated when using the overlays, and it is triggered when it detects a race track? I only use it on public roads in the city, so I'm curious what exactly triggers it.

To demonstrate, check this video of my ride this morning below. (the laps start showing after about a minute, when a lap is completed)

I'm running the latest Labs for the GPH8 (02_50_71).

GoPro

Re: [Bug] Race speed overlay

[ New ]
Yes that is weird, and a tad cool. I'm not going to reverse engineer why this is, likely something got permanently saved in metadata. The fix will be to erase all metadata with !RESET or click here https://gopro.github.io/labs/control/set/?cmd=!RESET
Tourist

[ New ]
Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately it doesn't work. After resetting, then erasing the overlays and setting them again (permanently) the race laps still pop up at a random moment (in the video above it was 9 minutes, but sometimes it's 1 minute). I'm clueless what triggers it, but the only thing that stops it is disabling the overlays. Possibly the 'permanent overlay' option could be the cause? Seeing that it's still experimental. For now I'll be using VIRB to add speed and date/time overlays. Pity GoPro doesn't supply any desktop software (that works) to do this. Editing high res video on a phone seems to be the only option, which is ridiculous to be honest.
GoPro

[ New ]

I have worked out what the issue is, and there is an easy fix. 

Use this QR Code. 

!MLFIN=0  or click here and scan https://gopro.github.io/labs/control/set/?cmd=!LFIN=0

This sets the finish line for your "lap" marker, rather than trying to determine it from the path your are taking.  The camera bug will be addressed if there are future builds on your camera, but the hack above is a full solution.

Tourist

[ New ]

Just tested it this morning, and it seems to work, thanks!