Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Labs
Nomad

Ability to sense a crash

[ New ]
I find that with all the sensors that this advance camera has, it should make sense that it can detect if there happens to be a crash.

I record while riding but on loop mode. But I'm very concerned that if I end up in a crash and was not able to stop recording, evidence of possible driver error and how bad of an error could be erased.

I would just think it would be cool for that feature to be in it
GoPro

Re: Ability to sense a crash

[ New ]

The camera does have accelerometers, so they could be used to find extreme moments after the event.  It would be hard to use them to trigger a capture, so maybe they could be combined with loop mode to determine which clips to automatically save. The tricker part would to train the detectors, I don't want to crash.

Nomad

[ New ]
I would think that it would stop recording to save the data, then continue recording.
Nomad

[ New ]
Anyone else think this is cool
Tourist

[ New ]

I thought about this as well. 

Based on current capabilities, if your worry is like me, you record a 30minute loop. Crash, and aren't able to stop the recording, so the moment ends up being overwritten 30 minutes later. 

This is what I was thinking of: 

- Immediate start to looping (ideally a 60 minute loop at least, to make sure a 20minute hold doesnt overwrite the crash).

- End at speed (0km/h)

- Hold for 20 minutes (1200s)

Not perfect, but an improvement. If you crash and can't get up and turn the camera off, it's likely you/your bike will be stationary for at least 20minutes anyway. 

Limitation: you stop at a cafe for 20 minutes, you'd need to remember to restart the capture (QR code printed on a sticker and attached to bike handlebar?)