Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
This is an open group. Sign in and click the "Join Group" button to become a group member and start posting.
Highlighted
Tourist
One thing leads to another

So I have only had my drone for about a week. I have only flown it a few times. The first thing I noticed about it was that it drifts...quite a bit.  Yesterday I was flying and it was drifting quite a bit so I decided that I would land it and move to a different area to fly. I brought the drone back over the landing spot and about 4 ft off the ground, I hit the land button, looked down at the screen so I could hit the return to launch button, only that was not on the screen. My thumbs were not on the joysticks, so the craft should have been hovering, instead it had gained about 3 ft in altitude and was flying directly into a tree. As soon as I saw that it was rising I started pulling down on the left, as soon as I saw it was flying forward, I started pulling down on the right joystick. It did not respond to anything. It hit the tree and fell about 4 ft to the surface below. (That was problem 1).

I brought the drone in, changed the broken rotors, powered on the drone and the controller. On the controller screen it says to fully extend the arms. I looked at the drone and the left rear arm feels like it snaps into place, but does not look like it is as far back as the right side.(problem 2) 

Has anyone had to work on their drone arms yet? Anyone have any suggestions or reasons for the drift and the non-response from the controller?

looking for help

Highlighted
Explorer
Re: One thing leads to another

Your first step is to contact GoPro and get your flight log loaded.  They can also give you the steps for removing/adjusting/replacing the arm.

Highlighted
Tourist

Is the flight log only available through GoPro? Is there no way for me to get it on my own? Any idea what info it will have?

Highlighted
Explorer

My Karma doesn't have very much drift if at all.  I can get some if I'm close to the ground, but not much.  That's a real bummer that you're having issues.  Why were you hitting RTL after initiating the landing?

Highlighted
Explorer

As of now, only GoPro can access them. It will give all  kinds of info including communications from the controller to/from the drone.

Highlighted
Tourist

I had flown the drone near the landing area then hit the land button. Usually on the controller screen it will then prompt you to choose return to launch or return to you. I was looking for those two icons to show up on the screen and they did not, as I looked away for just a couple seconds at the screen was when the drone took off on its own.  I had maneuvered the drone near the launch site just because of all the drift I was having.

Highlighted
Explorer

I see.  Since you were so close to the ground, it's best to just bring the bird down on your own.  You'll also notice that you can land much softer than Karma does automatically.  The return to launch function should really only be used when you are recalling the drone from a distance and want it to head back to you/launch.

Highlighted
Explorer

If you hold down the land button for 3 seconds, Karma will land in place.