Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
This is an open group. Sign in and click the "Join Group" button to become a group member and start posting.
Highlighted
Tourist
Map in Karma

Hi alla

What is the function map in Karma? How can I use it? Can I follw the Karma on the map?

Highlighted
Explorer
Re: Map in Karma

There really isn't much use for the maps other than for planning your flight (not setting flight paths, just viewing the area) and for locating the drone if it gets lost.

Highlighted
Hiker

I asked this question below in the regular Karma forum and got no response, so I'll try it here:

Has the way maps can be downloaded into the controller changed?  When I first got the Karma I thought you were able to add location  by typing in a city and get the download of that map.  Now the only download I could do was the last known location, which is where I'm currently located.  If I select "Add Location" and I put in a city, I get a message "No location found. Try searching by city, point of interest, or neighborhood."  I've tried several different cities and towns and just get that message.  That message comes up as soon as I put in the first letter and doesn't change.  The download icon in the upper right hand corner also stays grayed out. 

My wifi is connected and signal is strong, so that's not an issue.  Is there something I'm missing?  Do I have to have gps conectivity? Right now it looks like I have to actually be at a general location to download the maps for that location, as last known location is the only option that seems to work.  Everything has been updated to latest firmware.

Any help is appreciated.  Thanks.

I like to have the maps to see where the no fly zones etc. are so I can plan where to fly.  No sense going to a location and finding out it's a restricted area after I've travelled there.  Also as Daniel has pointed out, it will help find the drone in the event you have a fly away.

Regards,

Bill

Highlighted
Sightseer

Bill, I ran into same situation with search. I believe when you do search that controller map app is only looking in your local area.

What i've been able to do is add a map to distant location by scrolling through the map on the controller to get to geographic region and then zooming into area I'm interested in flying around. I've been able to set up a number of locations from the comfort of my home with a good wi-fi connection.

Hope that helps . . . if you're still involved with th forum

Highlighted
Sightseer

The maps can be used to fly your Karma when it's beyond visual range. All you need to do is select the icon on lower left of the controller display and the map (assuming you've downloaded it for your flying area) will replace the camera image. You can scroll, zoom in and zoom out by using standard touch screen gestures (pinch, pull, swipe)

Hope that helps

Highlighted
Hiker

Thanks robynl.  I'll give that a shot.

Regards,

Bill

Highlighted
Sightseer
I forgot to specify it’s the circle icon to right of adjustment icon at lower left of display.
Highlighted
Tourist
Betreff: Map in Karma

I think that you must enable location services within your account settings. I was wondering too, why it seems not working anymore, but after enabling the location services it worked like a charm.

My information about karrma maps is that karma is flying much more precise if it´s "connected" to a map, as the flight and landing precsision isn´t that grate, comparing to a DJI drone, for example. I know, there´s much more hardware (cameras) involved at DJI.

And finally, I am able to download maps from another places than where I located now. So it´s not for local orientation only. You can prepare and download you´re maps when you have wi-fi and then off you go (or fly :-) )

HTH

laszlob1