Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
This is an open group. Sign in and click the "Join Group" button to become a group member and start posting.
Highlighted
Sightseer
How / when do you contact airports?

Hi,

I only had the Karma for a day, and I am wondering how and when do you guys contact airports? Everywhere around me, there at least 5 airports within 5 miles. 

Highlighted
Hiker
Re: How / when do you contact airports?
If your just flying in a lical park within 5 miles of a airport Karma only gives you a warning screen saying your a flying in restricted space, you have to check the box to fly saying you fully understand the rules, and you have permission
Highlighted
Sightseer

That is correct, but the regulatory requirement appears to be that you have to call each airport to notify them. This sounds several lighyears beyond the overkill line, so I'm just wondering what people do.

Highlighted
Explorer
The honest answer: Click acknowledge and fly. Keep the drone below 400' and within LOS. If you see aircraft, land.

Correct answer: Google the airport and get the phone number for the tower control. Call. You are not looking for permission, you are calling to let them know that you will be using airspace. Be prepared to tell them where, when, how long, purpose, and altitude.