Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
This is an open group. Sign in and click the "Join Group" button to become a group member and start posting.
Highlighted
Sightseer
Want to view my GoPro Fusion 3d photos & videos using my new Oculus Quest

Yes.. I'm new at this. The technology is amazing, but so far I haven't been able to take full advantage of it. I did find a bit of info on the net discussing this... but it lost me. I purchased an Oculus Quest hoping I could view my Fusion photos from the inside... like I was "there." Clearly the Oculus can do it... I'm just not sure how. If anybody has the patience to deal with a dummie (when it comes to 3d) I'd appreciate some help. I have an I-Phone, an Android tablet, and a Windows 10 PC. I'm willing to pay for software and I'm computer literate... actually I have a Master's in Information Systems Management... but that came years before any of this was invented. Thanks in advance.

Explorer
Re: Want to view my GoPro Fusion 3d photos & videos using my new Oculus Quest
Hmmm, I'm not familiar with how the Oculus works or how the photos need to be formatted, but I do want to clear something up. Fusion creates 360 photos and videos....But this is NOT the same as 3D. 3D-360 cameras not only capture spherical data, but also the depth. I'm sure you can view the photos and videos in a way that allow you to look around in all directions, but you will not have 3D depth. I hope this makes sense and helps you correctly search for the answer.
Nomad

Can the Oculus load Youtube videos? It probably can. If so, the quickest way to watch your footage (and to share it) could be uploading it to Youtube after the stitching. That's what I do with all my goggles, although they're simpler models: Daydream, Cardboard and things like that.

Sightseer

Have you thought about doing the cheap version?  Using Google Cardboard VR googles and using the Google Streetview app to capture the images, then on your phone, when you choose a picture you select to view your image in the VR googles and just sliding your phone in?  Then as you look around you look around the photo?  These are the cardboard googles https://www.amazon.com/Google-87002822-01-Official-Cardboard/dp/B01L92Z8D6

Sightseer

I appreciate the clarification which leads to the question... what does it take to create a truly 3d image or video? (I'm guessing lots of expensive stuff that's not currently available). Only looking in one direction, without the ability to "look around" would require two separate cameras spaced a fixed difference apart focusing on the exact same center point from different angles... the way our eyes work. Adding the ability to "look around" would require those same to cameras to "look around" until they capture the entire image in all directions... sounds difficult, expensive, and complicated.... could it be done with two fusion cameras? Anyhow, once again, you are correct. The fusion does not create a 3d image... it does create a spherical image which, when using suitable hardware, creates the illusion of being inside the photo... something I've never before experienced... something I look forward to experiencing more and more as we move into the future! 

Sightseer

After monkeying around with it quite a bit this weekend I've come to the conclusion that my hadware isn't quite making the cut. Stitching / rendering is the bottleneck. I succeeded in stitching and posting a couple of spherical images to facebook, but I was unable to stitch any videos... it kept crashing. (I was able to view my Facebook posting with the Oculus... Wow! that's cool!) I went through the online checklist and couldnt get it to work reliably. It's been a couple of years since my last PC purchase... it's probably time to upgrade. I also tried posting to YouTube this weekend but didn't succeed. My plan is to come back with some better hardware and try it again. Thanks for the valuable input!

Nomad
You would need something like the Insta 360 Pro II, with as many lenses as possible and lots of pixel interpolation to generate all the missing images between the lenses. And forget about tilting your head. It's an astronomical headache.

https://www.amazon.com/Insta360-Spherical-Camera-FarSight-Monitoring/dp/B07GPRGMP4/ref=sr_1_3?keywor...

Then playing it back would also require some hardware/software combination unknown to me. Paradoxically, such a thing is more or less trivial with computer generated images. So maybe at some point the solution will be to capture a 2D image and a depth field, then apply the depth data to the image digitally... maybe, or regenerate the whole scene with CGI using the 2D 360 data as a texture.

GoPro did try to produce something in this direction, but I never saw any footage produced by it. The post-production workflow was probably unbearable: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbB-4pT7NJs
Sightseer

Not a bad idea... but I already own the Oculus Quest. I was able to post an image to Facebook and view it with the Oculus over the weekend (fantastic results). Haven't been able to post a video yet... but the issue is probably with my hardware. Thanks for the input!