Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Mobile
Highlighted
Tourist

streaming with android phone hotspot

I just got gopro black 7. I tried to setup a facebook live feed using my oneplus 3t as the device for gopro app and hotspot for feed wi-fi. Well the phone does not allow both the hotspot and wi-fi on at the same time. Please explain where I can find a total set of instructions how to configure the setup if it is at all possible.

I did get some live feed done but it broke off and maybe either camera or phone wasusing external wifi. 

The app freezes when I try setup the live feed, and won't connect the app and camera after that unless the camera is reset to factory settings.

Highlighted
Hiker

Re: streaming with android phone hotspot

[ Edited ]

@marttia32783 wrote:

I just got gopro black 7. I tried to setup a facebook live feed using my oneplus 3t as the device for gopro app and hotspot for feed wi-fi. Well the phone does not allow both the hotspot and wi-fi on at the same time. Please explain where I can find a total set of instructions how to configure the setup if it is at all possible.

I did get some live feed done but it broke off and maybe either camera or phone wasusing external wifi. 

The app freezes when I try setup the live feed, and won't connect the app and camera after that unless the camera is reset to factory settings.

Yeah facing the same issue here too,

Help is appreciated
Thanks in advance.
Regards.
Shane

Highlighted
GoPro

Hello @marttia32783. Make sure you have a cellular plan that lets you use your phone as a hotspot. On the app, from the Live Stream Setup screen, select Turn On Personal Hotspot and follow the steps to connect. It may take a minute for your hotspot to appear after you turn it on. Wait a moment and then select your hotspot when it shows up in the menu. It is important to stay within range of your hotspot during your live streaming session to avoid disconnection.  Hope this helps. 

Highlighted
Tourist

I am using a Oneplus 3T with the latest android version available for it. 

The problem seems to be that the setup you prpopse is not possible due to the fact that usage of both wi-fi and hotspot simultaneously is not possible. This seems to be very common with mobile phones. I am able to connect my gopro to the goproapp on the phone. The phone connects to the wi-fi created by the camera. But, when I try to setup the live feed, turning on the phone hotspot turns off the wi-fi. This happens the other way too. It is very frusrtarting that if this is just the way gopro live feed needs to be set up and in reality it cannot be donbe with th phone alone (requires connecting to another network) it renders many mobile live broadcasts impossible where the camera is moving. If this is the case I will be returning the gopro7 as this is a serious limitation to the usability of the device that has not been explained at all by gopro. 

I found the answer: Wifi and hotspot can't be used at the same time because one wireless card is only capable of working in one mode at a time. It can be either in Master mode (Access Point or Hotspot mode) or in slave mode (Connecting to some other WiFi source). To do both things at a time, you need two wireless cards.

I wonder how many people are struggling with this and all for nothing. The are a billion android phones out there. Gopro should definately publish and maintain a list of compatible phones.