Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Mobile
Tourist

Re: slow download on iPhone

[ New ]

I keep order SDSDQXL-032G-A46A, which is straight from the list of approved cards, and they keep sending me SDSQXAF-032G-GN6MA [Newest Version].  The newer card has A1 and V30 on it.  It is a class 10 card designed for action cameras and 4K, with speed up to 100 MB/s.  If GoPro supports the second, newer version, card, then I have already tried this card in my Hero 3+ and it did not change my experience.

Hiker

[ New ]
Repeat the problem is only di IOS App!
I tried this:
With mi iPhone 6s : problem
With my son iPhone 6: problem
With my friend IPhone 7: problem
With my wife Android phone: NO Problem!!!
GoPro

[ New ]

Hello everyone!

We have recently released an update for the GoPro app for iOS:

Current Version: 4.6
Release Date: 8/7/2018

Please have your app updated and test if it clears out the issue.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]
I had updated my iphone6 with this, didn’t make any difference, still too slow to download since your update to iOS, pretty sure it’s gopro’s way of making us buy a new model which is pretty average on your behalf
Tourist

[ New ]

Hey Ej, thanks for the information. Tried with the new version, trhe expericence even got worse. Now it won't even start the download. I get to see the thumbnails of videos, but when i start to download it won't even start. Cheers, Denis

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @bashik @boldstorm84428

I have tested an iPhone6 just now and did not encounter any issues transferring files.

Also tried the GPS overlay.

Do you still remember the resolution used with these videos?

Supported Resolutions for Copy and Share in the GoPro App

Kindly try to uninstall then reinstall the app.

Then have the camera paired again.

Regards,

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]
No change to my situation either. Previewed photos are still blurry and when I tried to download a photo, the app became unresponsive. Preview of a short video clip (8 sec) didn't even work.
Tourist

[ New ]

Hello,

I have the same situation.

In my case I have a Go Pro Hero 3+ Silver edition and a iPhone 7 with iOS11.4.1. Before I have iPhone 4S and it works great.

I prove the workaroud to set the iPhone on airplane mode, seems that improve the transfer speed.

I prove too with and iPad (iOS 10.3.3) and it happens the same like with airplane mode.

I've update the firmware of the gopro and reset all the default settings.

What is the problem: the iOS or the gopro firmware (3.02)?

Hiker

[ New ]
With the latest App update i solved all the problem. Thank you
Tourist

[ New ]

In my situation, with the latest update, it did not solve the problem. Is another update planned?

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello  @stoutshore06144

Thank you for sharing your results. There is another update coming but we do not have information yet on when it will be released. Please continue to watch out through our channels - here, or at gopro.com. 

Best regards, 
Marius

Tourist

[ New ]

There is definitely a problem with IOS app and Gopro Hero 3+ (mine is black).

I am having this problem since the beginning of this year (and before it, it always worked fine without any problem) and we are already at september and Gopro team didn´t figured out how to solve this. It´s really a shame. I tried absolutely everything that was suggested on this topic and others.

Also tried with my iPhone X and a iPhone 7 and both have the exactly same problem: slow (ultra slow) download. If I use a Galaxy S9, it works like a charm without changing any configuration on the Gopro.

And there is more! If I use a app called Myk on my iPhone X (that doesn´t have anything related to Gopro official team) the download of videos and photos from Gopro works PERFECT. How can anyone explain this!? How a indepent team can make an app that works perfectly and Gopro can´t?

Hiker

[ New ]

I'll try today this app MYK.

I think will work better, but, I think have days GoPro works well, another day is terrible and I don't know why.

Have you tried with iOS 12?

Cheers,

Edu Pimentel

Tourist

[ New ]
Thanks man, downloaded Myk and works like the app used too, took only 30 sec to download a 7 minute clip where would take over 1.5 hours with the GoPro app, GoPro need to sort the 💩out if a 3rd party can do better
Tourist

[ New ]

@bravewater84607

Yes man, tried iPhone X with iOS 12 and iPhone 7 with iOS 11.

MYK is fine, the only problem is that I can't download a set of time-lapse or burst photos. It only downloads the first photo of each set.

Sent an email to their support team asking about it and I'll update here when they answer me.

@boldstorm84428

It's nice to know it helped you out. 

Sightseer

[ New ]

Tourist

[ New ]

So I updated GoPro app today to version 5.0, just released.

Unfortunately, it´s still slow and photos preview are blurred (you have to wait like 30 seconds to preview in the right quality and even in this way, sometimes it never loads).

But I think download speeds are slight better - still far from being normal as it used to be.

Hiker

[ New ]

.Entendi, @thiagor610 - muito estranho esse comportamento.

Tentei o aplicativo citado aqui (Myk), me pareceu ser muito bom. Mas, aqui em meu país, o preço dele está acima do que desejo investir agora para essa finalidade. O correto seria a GoPro disponibilizar um app que seja bom o suficiente para não procurarmos opções de desenvolvedores terceiros.

Valeu!

Hiker

[ New ]

I have a gopro hero 5 and sessions and I have been doing this for awhile now.  I have had problems from day one trying to get my media to my mobile device as that is the main platform to share and send my videos and photos from my drone and cameras.  

When I download a 10 minute video to my Iphone Xs it takes one hour to do so.  I am not joking.  It usually takes about 1 hour for one 10 minute long video.  I have reached out to gopro before to give us a better way to put media from our cams and or Micro SD cards and I bought the Iphone SD card reader adapter and it works good for about 1-2 weeks and then it just failed to work or connect.  It was cheaply made in my opinion. 

I have connected my phone to camera wifi to put my videos on and I even bought another micro SD card adapter and tried to use its software or app to put my videos on my phone to share but the app is just a joke.  It just crashes during exports.  So basically we have no way to get media on our mobile devices and its the year 2018.  Real cool huh...

I have made sure my camera is connected via bluetooth instead of wifi but it just seems to use wifi no matter what.  In fact I have it connected with wifi and bluetooth at the same time and it still takes 1 hours for 10 min long video.  To me a 10 min long 1080p 60fps video should not take this long but I am no expert.  I just know that its virtually impossible to get media onto my iphone to share videos with friends and family.  

And yes everything is updated and new in fact.  So here we are in 2018 and its the little things.  Mobile devices are basically our pocket PC and one would think Gopro would start selling a new version of the iphone lighting adapter.  I notice you cant even buy those things anymore.  What's that tell you?  Come on Gopro..  Give us something to transfer our media to our mobile devices better/faster.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @gromz

The connectivity between the camera and a mobile device via GoPro App mainly works on Wi-Fi. Bluetooth is only utilized during startup, or the very first time that pairing is done. 

The observed times of import or transfer that you have observed are really long. I have just made a sample recording using a HERO5  Black camera with version 2.6 firmware. The resolution was set to 1080p at 60 fps, total duration of which is 11 minutes. The import to an iPad with GoPro App version 5.0 took about 16 minutes. Total size transferred was at least 4 GB. 

If you have not done it yet, see if manually updating the camera will help. Let us know how it goes. 

Thanks, 

Marius

Hiker

[ New ]

I've followed the manual update steps to a T and it does not manual update it self.  I guess because I am already on the most updated version.  So I dont think it will work.  I also dont see why I would need to update if I am on the version.  In my opinion the camera and my iphone just dont work right.  In my guess it just uses the wifi and not bluetooth.  You cant just choose one or the other.  The app on my phone goes to connect and it makes you connect wifi before the camera will even show up on the app.  I can go to bluetooth to turn it on or connect but after I close the settings on my iphone and go back to bluetooth it shows it disconnected again and i just have to redo it.  I dont know what is going on but its been like this for me since I bought my gear.  I only had 2 weeks of fast uploads when I had to sd iphone card reader which we can no longer buy.  I dont know if I would anyways because it didnt last long. I wish we could just connect these cams to iphone with a cord.  Impossible to get vids on my iphone.  I have tried everything.  Brand new phone even.  The camera settings or app needs more settings for bluetooth or it just need to connect bluetooth only.  For my cam to connect to app on iphone I have to take my phone off my wifi and connect to cam wifi.  Slow speeds I guess.  Im no expert but id think bluetooth is fast. I wouldnt know. Just my hunch 

Explorer

[ New ]
If you are running a manual update correctly, the firmware will install anew, regardless if you are on the current version or not. If the camera is not initiating a firmware install, then you are not doing it correctly. List the steps that you are taking and perhaps we can see why is not installing for you.

Manual updates reboot the camera system in a way that restarts and resets can't do. Often, by simply doing a manual update (even if the camera is already on the latest firmware), performance issues get resolved.

You have to use the camera Wi-Fi to transfer files. Wi-Fi Direct promises device-to-device transfer speeds of up to 250Mbps, while Bluetooth 4.0 promises speeds similar to Bluetooth 3.0 of up to 25Mbps. If you think your transfer speed is slow over Wi-Fi, it would be an absolute crawl over Bluetooth.
Hiker

[ New ]

I did exactly as the directions said.  I am using the sd card from my camera it self.  I did not reformat or remove any files from the camera card it self.  It has videos on it.  The directions do not state any info about this sort of thing.  Other then that I did exactly like directions said.  Downloaded, extracted then put files on card manualy and not in a folder.  Turn cam on and it just normal, no reboot or beeps and no firmware update.  Files just sit on card I guess.  Plus there are files on it already.  I just copy pasted and over write them but they just revert back I guess.. I dunno..

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @gromz,

You just have to reformat your SD card and follow the same steps that should work.

-Jay 

Hiker

[ New ]

I appreaciate all the advice.  But reformating then putting the files on the card did nothing.  It just turns on normally.  Its ok. I have about giving up trying to get videos on my phone anymore..  I dont even know why I have these things..  I just like the drone footage but would just be insane awesome to share some videos..

Explorer

[ New ]
Stop putting just the files on the card. You need to put the UPDATE folder (containing the files) on the card. Once done, you should only see ether Folder UPDATE on the root of the SD card.
Explorer

[ New ]
Also, what SD card are you using?
Tourist

[ New ]

Is there any resolution to this issue? Has 5e latest app that is supposed to fix this problem been Released?? I’ve been dealing with this issue for almost a year and it’s happpenimg between my hero 3+ Black and my iPhone 7+. The WiFi is unusable and I have one of the recommended sd cards. No amount of re pairing or any of the steps outlined has helped me.

has go pro just abandoned the support fo the hero 3+???? I paid a ton of money for this thing a few years ago and it’s junk now.

extremely extremely frustrating 

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @sevk8248

If you have not done it yet, try manually updating your HERO3+ camera. This will help clear out any possible issue with the current firmware installation. There is no new update on the firmware but manually updating the camera firmware will help due to the reason mentioned. It helps as well to make sure that the phone that you are using is updated to the latest iOS and that you have the latest version of GoPro App installed. Should you need further assistance, our Support team here https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs will be able to help. 

Best regards, 
Marius

Tourist

[ New ]

Tried reloading the firmware 3 times and it made no difference whatsoever.

Tourist

[ New ]

I have same problem in gopro hero 7 black in iPhone 7 plus it's very slow to preview and donload picture but when I use Android in huawei P20 it's no problem about this in huawei p20 it's very fat to preview picture nad very fast to download picture.my micro sd card is sandisk extreme 32 GB.Please solve this problem when use with iPhone.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @sunnyflame6340,

Please uninstall and reinstall the app on your phone and check if that will solve the issue. 

Thanks,

-Jay 

Tourist

[ New ]

no resolution to this issue. I just wasted 30 bucks on buying a new SD card that is on go pro's recommended list. No change in video downloads for my iphone 7. Still sits there for an hour then fails out.

Is there NO RESOLUTION for this? 

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @sevk8248

Apologies for the delay.

We are still waiting for an update from the team in charge.

I'll get this thread updated once I have information.

Thanks!
Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

It can't be serious...

I'm having this issues from years, the go pro hero 3+ Black does what I need, but this issues made me not use or I have not "enjoyed" my experiences as I should.

I thought it was some issue with my camera, so I downloaded the photos on my PC, if I use my friends go pro hero 4 silver put my card on I can download the files quickly into my iPhone.

The only time that it worked is when I bought the camera in 2015 with my iphone 5s, then I had this problem with the iphone 5s, 7plus, X and Xs Max.

From time to time I was searching the internet for a solution, today I find this thread to discover everyone is having this problem, not enough, I also discover that there's is a software called Myk which I can download the files F!@##$ fast.

Ubelievable GoPro, almost 3 years of frustrantion that I can't use my camera as it was itended to be and a 3rd party can make a software that works.

Please, fix it.

Tourist

[ New ]
Hi guys! Same problem with my Hero 7 black and iPhone 7. VERY slow downloading of videos in gopro app - 1-2 minutes long videos can be downloaded for about 30 to 40 minutes and as you mentioned the camera gets really HOT in the lense area...
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @hardydive44550,

Do you turn on your bluetooth and Wi-Fi on? 

Also what is the resolution of the video?

Your video may have high framerate and different aspect ratio. 

Try to record in 1080 or 2.7k with 16:9 aspect ratio and at least 60Fps to check.

The files is being converted to make it compatible on your phone since GoPro has MP4 file format by default. 

Regards,

-Jay

Tourist

[ New ]
Thanks for answering,
Video is 4K60 16:9 HEVC. Bluetooth and WiFi are on (as they always are). Can you explain what is the point recording at much lower resolution.? If I would like to record in 1080/60 I wouldn’t go for hero 7 black right..?
🙄 I’ve bought it specifically for 4k60.
By the way - what is the WiFi direct speed between iPhone and gopro?
Ps. I’ve been noticing that mostly iPhone 7 users are having this problem.
Pps. What about extreme heating of the camera during this slow transfer? Any explanation?
Ppps. Also to be more precise - not transferring but converting is very slow. It starts to converts and at the same time calculate the remaining time - and that is so slow.

Regards,
Milan
Tourist

[ New ]
I think I’m figuring out the reason of this problem.
It’s the hevc codec. Both gopro and Myk apps have problem with performance when trying to decode hevc and recode it to the format (I guess h.264) that is supported by my iPhone 7. And the bottleneck is the performance of iPhone processor.
I guess there’ll be no solution for this soon.
The only way is to record in either lower resolutions or lower FPS (imho).
Tourist

[ New ]
Nope. I was wrong. iPhone 7 supports HEVC.
Even more - Gopro app successfully managed to convert a 4K60 16:9 hevc video to camera roll, but the original video was only about 1 minute 30 secs long and what is worse - this process took about 30 minutes!
Not to mention that camera heated up like an oven.
Tourist

[ New ]
Got an official answer under my review in App Store:
iOS 12 has caused the function we are using to convert videos and download at the same time to be very slow. We are putting an update very soon that will work around this.
Tourist

[ New ]

Maybe this applies to the hero 7, but the hero 3+ was slow on ios11 and even ios 10