Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Mobile
Anonymous

slow download on iPhone

[ New ]

I am using 2 Hero 3+'s and use to be able to view and download pics and pretty quick on my iPhone. Now it takes too long to render pics and download on the app. to even bother. All my software and applications are up to date on my iPhone and I reformatted the SD CARDs AND UPDATED it. I have done this on both GoPro's and still slow. In the past, 3-4 months ago, this was not an issue.

GoPro

Re: slow download on iPhone

[ New ]

Hey @Anonymous,

What device are you using to view that media? Is the App up to date? 

It should not take an extended period of time to download that content. You may want to run through these steps to reset those connections:

https://gopro.com/help/articles/Solutions_Troubleshooting/GoPro-App-Camera-Connection-Troubleshooting

Best,

Ryan

Anonymous

[ New ]

I am using IPhone 6. All software, apps, and I took the SD cards out and did a reformat. I have 2 GoPro hero 3+'s and both are slow to download to my phone. They both connect just fine but when viewing the pics it takes forever to render and sometime the pics show an "!" In the middle of a triangle. Many times when I download a pic, it shows up blank in my photos, but shows the pic was downloaded. 

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @Anonymous,

What SD Cards are you using?

Best,

Ryan

Anonymous

[ New ]

1st:  Scandisc Ultra Plus 16GB MICRO SD HC 1

2nd: Lexar 633x 64GB MICRO SD XC1

Anonymous

[ New ]
I'm having the same problem as you do. But it started to run slow when I upgraded my iPhone from 5S to 7. When I was using the 5S it was running really normal. Now I've been going thru the exact same thing using 7. Have you solve your problem?
Anonymous

[ New ]
No, I have not resolved this problem and tech support seems to have given up on trying to help.
Tourist

[ New ]

I'm having the same issue. Seems like an app update a few months back started it.

Basically, when connecting the GoPro3, the app opens, and I can see the pics in the grid view. Trying to load a picture takes forever, and then a download takes a few monutes. I've also noticed that the camera gets really hot during this time.

GoPro Support - any ideas here?

Tourist

[ New ]

Even after updating the firmare on the camera to the latest version, and updating the app, it's still frustratingly slow. Even the response on the interface is sluggish - when I tap the download button, the app freezes and only starts showing the download progress after a minute or two.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @stoutmesa52827

Thank you for going through the troubleshooting steps. At this point, it's best to get in touch with our Support Team to further isolate where the issue is coming from.

You may contact them via phone or chat. https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Thanks!

EJ

Anonymous

[ New ]

I have the same problem, I have an iphone X and Hero 4 and a 2 minute video will take up to 30mins to download to my phone. The camera gets quite hot and often it just sits on the same remaining time and then does nothing. Everything is up todate. Any ideas, because I am getting a bit tired of waiting and might have to look at alterative options.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @Anonymous, 

Thank you for reaching out. Sorry to hear about the experience. If you have already tried out the recommended steps above, the next thing to do is to contact our Support team for a more personalized assistance. You can call or chat with them through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Best regards, 
Marius

Anonymous

[ New ]

Many thanks for your help, I followed all of the recomended steps and it works much better now. Downloads to my Iphone are back to normal speed.

Cheers

Rob

Hiker

[ New ]

@Anonymous O que foi feito para atualizar e ?

Eu reparei que, enquanto a configuração de conexão WiFi da minha GoPro estava como smart a transferência era muito lenta - e às vezes a conexão se perdia no meio do processo. Alterei para app que é a única forma de conexão que uso na minha câmera e passou a funcionar normalmente.

O celular é um iPhone 6S com todas as atualizações instaladas.

Anonymous

[ New ]
Same here! iPhone X, Hero 3+, Sandisk Ultra 64Gb. GoPro needs to fix this. I hope this isn’t a prelude to an era where they stop supporting older cameras to force us to buy new ones, because they will lose a lot of business with all the other cameras out there now!
GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @Anonymous and @bravewater84607

Is the slow transfer observed no matter which media is being transferred from the camera to the phone? See if manually updating your camera will make a difference. You can follow this link for instructions on how to do a manual update. Let us know how it goes. 

Thanks, 
Marius

Hiker

[ New ]

I noticed that the problem happens with larger files. But, small files (with an average duration of 1 minute) have not been transferred and the estimated time is oscillating. In these cases, I end up transferring via USB cable to the computer.

Anonymous

[ New ]
The latest update to the firmware was 2015. I just took a picture and it took 2 min to start the download, and 3 min to actually download the one picture!
GoPro

[ New ]

Thank you for posting back @bravewater84607. Larger files would typically take longer in being transferred. It would help a lot if you stay on the GoPro app page showing the download progress in order to avoid interruptions on connectivity with the camera and phone. 

That is quite a long time downloading a single photo, @Anonymous. We will let the team know about this. We will keep you posted. 

Best regards, 
Marius

Anonymous

[ New ]
The best work around I have found is to do video and extract a frame out of it to use as pics. This takes up a lot of my card, so then I delete the video.
Tourist

[ New ]

I am having the same problem with my hero3+. I never used to have this issue why has the app become so slow? I have tried the suggestions and it hasn’t worked. Are there any other solutions?

Thanks Lucy

Anonymous

[ New ]
The best work around I have found is to do video and extract a frame out of it to use as pics. This process is as fast as downloading a pic. This takes up a lot of my card, so then I delete the video.
Tourist

[ New ]
I have been dealing with this since May, and have been working with support for a month. I’m really upset. I was told my memory card wasn’t one of the recommended cards, yet my camer/app worked fine until this year. I did get a new iPhone since I last used my camera with the app so I’m guessing that is the issue. I have a Hero 3+ with an iPhone 7. I’ve done the manual update to the camera and the WiFi password. I’ve deleted the app and reinstalled it. I continue to have slow preview on the app. Images won’t download or delete over the WiFi. Taking a photo in live mode is very laggy or stops. Previewed images in the app are very low resolution. The videos look ok, but everything freezes the app when trying to download to the phone. I don’t have an lcd screen on the camera so the app is a big necessity. Im super frustrated and ready to bail on GoPro. I have lots of accessories that will become paper weights (along with the camer).
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @cspike

I am really sorry if you feel this way. Let's try and troubleshoot the issue. What SD card are you using? I understand that the card may have worked with the camera but

to consistently achieve the best results with your GoPro camera it is important to select microSD cards that are known to work well with your camera. 

Depending on your device’s processing power, some higher resolution files may need to be converted to a lower resolution. To accommodate this process, be sure that your device has double the required space available for the content you want to transfer. 

Example: If your video is 2GB, make sure you have at least 4GB available. 

Live Preview should be supported in most video resolutions. However, as the GoPro App continues to be updated and evolve, some resolutions may no longer support Live Preview. 

Have you tried pairing the camera to another phone? How did it go?

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]
Ej
Thanks for the quick response. My first card was a sandisk ultra 64 gb u1 card which I was told wasn’t supported, but it worked just fine for the three+ years I’ve owned it. I then purchased a sandisk Extreme 32 gb u3 hc v30 card and it behaves the same. My job roll at work is troubleshooting and it often comes down to what has changed. My phone is new, the app and camera firmware have been updated (although the issue occurred prior to upgrading my firmware). I’ve had the camera 4 years, and everything has worked fine until this year. My current card has 10 pictures and three videos (all less than 1 minute), so the card isn’t that full. The support person I was working with told me this wasn’t a common issue, but an internet search suggests otherwise. As much as I’d like a new GoPro for the lcd screen alone, I have a lot invested and it worked just fine. This is getting difficult to do over email and forum posts. I was asked to take a video to show the issues I’m seeing. I will try to do that, but it won’t be for a week or so.
Tourist

[ New ]
Forgot to add that I have tried to use the camera and app on an iPad Pro 9.7 with the same results.
Tourist

[ New ]

I've taken a screen recording video of me downloading a single photo to help you understand the process and the pain that we are feeling.

https://youtu.be/cJqT4LQki0s

This video is a live recording of the process of downloading a single photo from my GoPro Hero 3 to my iPhone 6S. This started happening a few months back an...
Tourist

[ New ]
Spot on! Thanks for capturing and sharing that video.
Sightseer

[ New ]
Absolutely the same issue with Iphone x 64g, hero 3+ with lexar 32gb micro sd card ! 2 hours for upload a 21 seconds 4k movie ! I am really upset...
Hiker

[ New ]

@aktaar eu acho que a melhor opção é realmente utilizar um aparelho Android, com espaço para cartão SD no próprio celular. Quando eu tinha o Motorola Moto G4 Plus eu transferia os arquivos de uma forma muito rápida (economizando bateria do celular e da própria câmera).

No processo de edição, eu não sinto diferença em relação ao resultado final.

Obrigado!

Tourist

[ New ]

Exactly the same problem. Hero3+ and Iphone 6 updated to the last iOS version available. 1 hour to download 1 minute video in 1080.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @bashik

What SD card are you using?

Can you provide the brand and model?

Thanks,

-Jay 

Tourist

[ New ]
Another question to ask is is this a new issue for you? Did your SD card, phone and app work just fine in the past? I get the question about the type of SD card, but if the parts worked just fine at some point, then the issue is with the parts that you can't directly influence (app and firmware).
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @cspike

We just want to know the SD card brand and model since it also affect the transfer rate/speed. 

We just want to isolate the issue since most of the time it's the SD card that is causing the issue. 

-Jay 

Tourist

[ New ]
I do understand that, this type of troubleshooting is my job. This happened to me, and my setup worked great from 2014 until April of this year. I was told my SD card was not one of the supported/acceptable models, but it worked. I went through a few phone changes in that time as well, from and iphone 5, to a 6 and now to the 7. This issue began with the iphone 7. I purchased a new SD card, one of the supported models, and my issue still occurred, so I moved on.
Tourist

[ New ]

Hey @jayr3438, thanks for the reply! It is SanDisk Ultra 64 XCI. Will try to test GP with another card.

Tourist

[ New ]

Tested the card with Blackmagic... is this sufficient?

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @bashik

Thanks for providing those details. 

SanDisk Ultra is no doubt a fast SD card. 

However it is not included on the recommended list: https://gopro.com/help/articles/block/microSD-Card-Considerations

Regards,

-Jay 

Sightseer

[ New ]
It worked fine with exactly the same configuration but an iphone 6s. Since I have my iphone X, I met this problem
GoPro

[ New ]

HI @aktaar

Kindly try this out: 

While the camera is on pairing mode, delete the Bluetooth ID on your mobile device
Go to Settings > Bluetooth > Select the circle with the "i" in it next to your GoPro and then select "Forget this device". . 

Remove the camera from the menu in the GoPro App
Select the camera icon in the top left corner.
Select the pencil icon in the top left corner to delete a camera.
Press "X" to delete the camera, then select the Delete to remove the camera from the GoPro App. 

Forget the Wi-FI Network on your mobile device.
Launch the Settings app.
Tap Wi-Fi.
Tap the info button (i) next to the Wi-Fi network you want to forget.
Tap "Forget This Network."
Tap "Forget" when prompted to confirm that you want to forget the network.

Turn the camera off. After a couple of minutes, proceed with the pairing process again.

Please ensure that the app is up to date.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks!

Ej

Explorer

[ New ]
This reply isn't about the app but rather regarding the use of the SanDisk Ultra.

Please do not use SanDisk Ultra. It's a terrible card and does not perform well with video cameras (including and more specifically GoPro cameras). Read speed means very little. What matters is the write speed. As you can see in the test results above, the SanDisk Ultra performs very poorly with write speed.

I naively used the SanDisk Ultra with my Hero2 and Hero3 cameras. I would get periods of it working fine, but then would have issues with what I thought was the cameras. Freezing issues, corrupt files, random shut downs, camera unresponsive, app transfer issues.... I figured it was the cameras that were the problem as the card would work most of the time. It wasn't after doing research and listening to the advice of others that I changed to a different brand (for the Hero2 and Hero3 I switched to the Lexar 633X) and suddenly all of my issues went away.

I say they went away, but I did have an issue with one of my Lexar 633X cards after a little over a year of use. Strangely, one card, that was purchased at the same time, continued to work and still does today, while another one started giving me issues. However, because of my experience with the SanDisk Ultra I was quickly able to identify the SD card as the cause of my issues.

While GoPro provides a list of tested cards known to work, I have also come to find that sometimes the individual cards will sometimes have issues, and also sometimes they have been counterfeited. When I purchased my Hero5 Session I also got a SanDisk Extreme (on the list) but had many issues with the camera. For that camera I switched to a Samsung Pro and the issues went away.

For my Hero5 Black I purchased another Samsung Pro 64GB card but it gave me issues. Come to find out, the seller has counterfeited the card to make it appear to be a 64GB card when in actuallity it was a 32GB card. What they do is manipulate the table so that when you put the card in your computer or device it reads as 64GB but when your camera starts writing to it, it causes freezing, corrupt files, and SD err as the allocated space is incorrect.

For my Hero5 I switched to a Lexar 1000X and it works great. However, strangely enough, when I use it in my Hero6 I occasionally get camera freezes. For my Hero6 I use a SanDisk Extreme v30 and have no issues whatsoever.

My point to all of this is, if you are having issues, be sure to check the SD card and if possible, switch to another card to test the camera. Most importantly though, DO NOT USE SanDisk Ultra! If you go over to reddit.com/r/GoPro and type SD card in the comments they have created a bot specifically addressing this and the warning against using SanDisk Ultra. The reddit mods are not GoPro affiliates and have no axe to grind with SanDisk, but they got so tired of people with SanDisk Ultra cards complaining of camera issues, they made a bot to automatically do it for them.
Tourist

[ New ]
I’m having the same issue, tried following the above repairs but to no avail, been trying to load a 6 min clip to iPhone and after 1.5 hrs times out, only happened since last update, never had an issue beforehand, thinking this is GoPro way of buying new camera
GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @boldstorm84428

Which GoPro camera do you have, and which iPhone model are you using? Have you been able to check already if you are using a recommended SD card? For a list of the recommended cards, you can check this link: https://gopro.com/help/articles/block/microSD-Card-Considerations

Let us know how it works out for you. 

Thanks, 
Marius

Tourist

[ New ]
I have a GoPro hero 3+ and use iPhone 6+, been using the same sd card for the last 3+ Years with no issues, loads up fine, can watch the footage on my phone, but as soon as goto download boom slow and stops
GoPro

[ New ]

Got it, @boldstorm84428. By any chance, is your phone data up or on while the camera and the iPhone are connected via Wi-Fi? Mobile data could sometimes cause interference with the Wi-Fi connection. See if this is the case. Also try uninstalling and re-installing the app and see if it helps. Thanks!

Tourist

[ New ]
Thanks for helping out, have tried all your suggestions but nothing has worked, will buy a new sd card and see if that works
Tourist

[ New ]

With all due respect to the GoPro support crew on this thread, there is a zero percent chance that this has anything to do with the SD card. Every single person that posted on this forum has said the same things. A recent update on the app is the root of the cause and should be very easily to replicate. It's got nothing to do with the phone, the SD card, the wifi connection, etc. 

GoPro

[ New ]

Let us know how it goes, @boldstorm84428. Thanks!

Are you still having the same issue, @stoutmesa52827? I just now happened to watch the video that you posted. Have you been able to explore the suggested steps? I noticed that the mobile data was up (4G) while you were connected to the GoPro. The Wi-Fi symbol is also not seen, only the Bluetooth, although your video showed that you connected with the camera's Wi-Fi. Unless there are some phone configurations that I don't know about. Have you been connecting this way since? Try to see if turning off the mobile data and connecting the phone and the camera via the camera's Wi-Fi will clear the issue. Mobile data could interfere with the connection between the phone and the camera, and we would like to eliminate this factor. Let us know how it works out. 

Tourist

[ New ]

If our cameras, SD cards, phones and apps worked just fine in the past, why would mobile data being turned on affect it now?  Are the mobile data connections stronger now than they used to be?  

I ordered another SD card, straight from the list of GoPro approved/supported cards, and will give this one last try. I will perform all of the actions suggested in this post and will report back after my test.

GoPro

[ New ]

Thank you, @cspike. Please keep us posted with your results here.