Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Find a solution. Share a solution. Ask a question. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Mobile
Highlighted
Adventurer

Re: slow download on iPhone

This reply isn't about the app but rather regarding the use of the SanDisk Ultra.

Please do not use SanDisk Ultra. It's a terrible card and does not perform well with video cameras (including and more specifically GoPro cameras). Read speed means very little. What matters is the write speed. As you can see in the test results above, the SanDisk Ultra performs very poorly with write speed.

I naively used the SanDisk Ultra with my Hero2 and Hero3 cameras. I would get periods of it working fine, but then would have issues with what I thought was the cameras. Freezing issues, corrupt files, random shut downs, camera unresponsive, app transfer issues.... I figured it was the cameras that were the problem as the card would work most of the time. It wasn't after doing research and listening to the advice of others that I changed to a different brand (for the Hero2 and Hero3 I switched to the Lexar 633X) and suddenly all of my issues went away.

I say they went away, but I did have an issue with one of my Lexar 633X cards after a little over a year of use. Strangely, one card, that was purchased at the same time, continued to work and still does today, while another one started giving me issues. However, because of my experience with the SanDisk Ultra I was quickly able to identify the SD card as the cause of my issues.

While GoPro provides a list of tested cards known to work, I have also come to find that sometimes the individual cards will sometimes have issues, and also sometimes they have been counterfeited. When I purchased my Hero5 Session I also got a SanDisk Extreme (on the list) but had many issues with the camera. For that camera I switched to a Samsung Pro and the issues went away.

For my Hero5 Black I purchased another Samsung Pro 64GB card but it gave me issues. Come to find out, the seller has counterfeited the card to make it appear to be a 64GB card when in actuallity it was a 32GB card. What they do is manipulate the table so that when you put the card in your computer or device it reads as 64GB but when your camera starts writing to it, it causes freezing, corrupt files, and SD err as the allocated space is incorrect.

For my Hero5 I switched to a Lexar 1000X and it works great. However, strangely enough, when I use it in my Hero6 I occasionally get camera freezes. For my Hero6 I use a SanDisk Extreme v30 and have no issues whatsoever.

My point to all of this is, if you are having issues, be sure to check the SD card and if possible, switch to another card to test the camera. Most importantly though, DO NOT USE SanDisk Ultra! If you go over to reddit.com/r/GoPro and type SD card in the comments they have created a bot specifically addressing this and the warning against using SanDisk Ultra. The reddit mods are not GoPro affiliates and have no axe to grind with SanDisk, but they got so tired of people with SanDisk Ultra cards complaining of camera issues, they made a bot to automatically do it for them.
Tourist

I’m having the same issue, tried following the above repairs but to no avail, been trying to load a 6 min clip to iPhone and after 1.5 hrs times out, only happened since last update, never had an issue beforehand, thinking this is GoPro way of buying new camera
GoPro

Hello @boldstorm84428

Which GoPro camera do you have, and which iPhone model are you using? Have you been able to check already if you are using a recommended SD card? For a list of the recommended cards, you can check this link: https://gopro.com/help/articles/block/microSD-Card-Considerations

Let us know how it works out for you. 

Thanks, 
Marius

Tourist

I have a GoPro hero 3+ and use iPhone 6+, been using the same sd card for the last 3+ Years with no issues, loads up fine, can watch the footage on my phone, but as soon as goto download boom slow and stops
GoPro

Got it, @boldstorm84428. By any chance, is your phone data up or on while the camera and the iPhone are connected via Wi-Fi? Mobile data could sometimes cause interference with the Wi-Fi connection. See if this is the case. Also try uninstalling and re-installing the app and see if it helps. Thanks!

Tourist

Thanks for helping out, have tried all your suggestions but nothing has worked, will buy a new sd card and see if that works
Tourist

With all due respect to the GoPro support crew on this thread, there is a zero percent chance that this has anything to do with the SD card. Every single person that posted on this forum has said the same things. A recent update on the app is the root of the cause and should be very easily to replicate. It's got nothing to do with the phone, the SD card, the wifi connection, etc. 

GoPro

Let us know how it goes, @boldstorm84428. Thanks!

Are you still having the same issue, @stoutmesa52827? I just now happened to watch the video that you posted. Have you been able to explore the suggested steps? I noticed that the mobile data was up (4G) while you were connected to the GoPro. The Wi-Fi symbol is also not seen, only the Bluetooth, although your video showed that you connected with the camera's Wi-Fi. Unless there are some phone configurations that I don't know about. Have you been connecting this way since? Try to see if turning off the mobile data and connecting the phone and the camera via the camera's Wi-Fi will clear the issue. Mobile data could interfere with the connection between the phone and the camera, and we would like to eliminate this factor. Let us know how it works out.