Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Mobile
Tourist

resolution of photos is poor when imported to Quik videos

i record video at 1920x1080 60FPS, but whenever I add photos into Quik videos, the photos in the exported videos are so pixelated (low res).  Photos appear to be shot at 4000x3000 when I check their properties, although, they tend to be fairly small filesizes 2~3MB.

I typically export quik videos at 16:9 (1920x1080 60FPS)...might only be 30FPS...not exactly sure.

I've tried pre-cropping the images on my phone before adding into Quik videos, but it doesn't seem to make a difference.  They still become very pixelated.

Note this is referring to PHOTOS taken with the gopro or phone...not photos extracted from gopro videos.

poor resolution of photos imported into Quik videos.jpg
Tourist

Re: resolution of photos is poor when imported to Quik videos

Ater more testing, I should add that this appears to be a problem when doing 16:9 exports.  I tried exporting the same videos in 1:1 square formats @ 1080x1080 and the problem disappeared.  

comparing 1to1 and 16to9.jpg
Tourist

I have also noted this problem with imported photos.  I use 16:9 as a default for better viewing on HDTV so this is a problem.  There has also been a drop in functionality from quick as you can alter how the photo is viewed (ken burns effect etc).

Thanks to OP for all the detail above.

GoPro

Thank you for the details that you provided, @muddycheckpoint and @dragoon433. Are you using Quik within the GoPro App or the stand-alone Quik for mobile app? Which OS are your devices running on? We will be reporting this to the team. Will you be able to send samples showing the issue? We hope to hear back from you. 

Tourist

Ich habe das gleiche Problem.

Android GoPro App (ehemals Capture) in Version 6.0

Aufnahmen GoPro Hero 7 Black

Erstellung Quickstory in 16:9 verpixelt die Bilder (Fotos aufgenommen mit der GoPro) so sehr das die Quickstory unbrauchbar ist.

siehe Anhänge. Screenshots direkt aus einer Quickstory auf einen Samsung Note 9

gibt es einen Workaround die Bilder in der Quickstory (im 16:9 Format) in der aufgenommenen Qualität zu reimportieren?

2.jpg
Tourist

I am using the iOS GoPro app version 6. App ID is 

Capture Id: 72b9b86c-980c-403b-a2c9-eeeafed00d4f

iPad is running iOS 12.4

Basically everything is running the latest software.

While we are at it, the Ability to run the integrated Quik app in landscape has disappeared too!

Many thanks.

Tourist

I am on Android ver8.  Galaxy S7.

I am running quik from the gopro app version 6.0 (8108).

This just in...

I just tried taking 2 photos and built videos from them.  I think I used the same general settings "ACTION", 16:9..., 1080

1) using goPro based QUIK in GoPro ver 6(8108) - PIXELATED

2) using the standalone QUIK ver 5.07-4047-000c9d4b4 - OK!

See attached screenshots of each beside one another.

I have tried submitting the actual videos, but with MP4 extensions they aren't allowed.

...feel free to set me up with one of those cloud accounts, and I'd be happy to share! :)

I guess now comes the big question...why the two different Apps?  (and then, there's the desktop app which is totally different - and sadly the weakest IMO!?!)

Being new to GoPro, I don't have a the history of which App came first, so I don't know which one is planned to be the go forward app, and which will be dropped?  Is there a plan?

ALSO, during all this, I realized, I couldn't find where I can set the export settings (1080, 60FPS...etc) within the GoPro app or the integrated Quik app?  I was only able to find those settings over in the Quik standalone app, but I wasn't sure if those settings got transferred across to the GoPro App?

Mark

GoPro-integrated-QUIK-vs-standalone-QUIK resolution comparion.jpg
Tourist

All good but the integration of quik into the GoPro app was supposed to make things easier. I now have three projects sat in the GoPro app that I cannot move over to the standalone quik app. Good workaround for those starting a project from scratch but the main app needs to be fixed.