Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Mobile
Anonymous

mandatory login after upgrade

[ New ]

Hi,

I own hero4 camera. I need to use the app as the camera comes without a view finder. I was quite aware of this when I bought thecamera, and was quite happy with this.

However, recentrly I have updated apps on my phone, and my GoPro iOS app became "capture", and the app now requires me to sign in to use it. As the app esential for normal camera usage, I find it almost impossible to believe that I have to sign in to use the app.

Would someone be able to help me? How can I control my camera without signing in?

Thanks

GoPro Community Manager

Re: mandatory login after upgrade

[ New ]

@Anonymous - With the launch of our new Capture app last week, we do require users to log in to use the app. We're doing this to better understand how customers use our products, identify any issues, and ultimately use that information to create better products in the future.

I'm not sure what camera you have since two HERO4 cameras come without a bak screen - the HERO4 Black and the HERO Session. If you have the HERO4 Black, you can change all of the settings on the camera without using the app. If you have the HERO Session, most of the major functions are available for use without needing the app. There are some settings that do require the app though, so if you are planning to adjust those settings, you will need to create an account and log into the app.

Thanks,

Jeff

Hiker

[ New ]

Information is money so they collect it. 

Anonymous

[ New ]
It is critical to be able to bypass the login when you are using Capture on location where wifi/cellular is not available. I was on location and completely missed my event as I couldn't login to the App. The remote use through my phone is why I bought the GoPro 4 Black. Bait and switch?
Anonymous

[ New ]

Have you lost your minds?

The new capture app *requires* a login via an internet connection. I have totally lost functionality with my Hero 4 Black. I mountain bike, kiteboard, backpack and drive my sports car fast in canyons, all of which take me places there is no web access. For the first 3 I previously used the phone or my iPad to set settings and check the angle of the camera on the mount. While you can set the settings on the camera if you are young and have perfect eyesight (which I'm not and don't) the preview functionality is now impossible in remote areas. How can I check the angle on my head strap, handlebar mount, kiteboard mount or mouth mount? I will simply be guessing.

And the car is now simply ridiculous. The camera is attached to a suction cup mount on top of my car or on the bumper. Do you seriously expect me to pull over, get out and stop and start the camera manually every time? Seriously?

So back to my original question: Have utterly lost your f*cking minds?!?

As with the guy above I will now be pursuing options to try and get my money back since my purchase was predicated on controlling the camera with my phone. I couldn't see the screen without glasses then or now. And not only for the camera, but for the hundreds upon hundreds I've spent on mounts, media cards and extra batteries.

Anonymous

[ New ]

I find this new requirement a complete pain in the ass. Honestly. I go many places without internet availability, including all over Europe where I don't want to incur roaming charges, and at sea where there isn't any connection. The old camera app was great. Get the phone out, connect to the camera, then go. Now, even in my apartment in Brussels, I have to mess around swapping wifi connections in order to log in to the app, then connect to the camera (I have a UK phone).

Looking at all the gopro footage on YouTube, has it not occured to you guys that this would be a step too far. I don't need any help from you to enhance the use of my camera. This restriction may well be the show stopper that sends me, a loyal customer, (and others) to another brand. The market is getting more populated...

Please reconsider...

Has GoPro become StopPro...?

Anonymous

[ New ]
Exactly!
Anonymous

The Solution (At least for Android users)

[ New ]

Hey there-

I made an outraged, disgusted post below once I found this thread because I was furious yesterday when I discovered the problem. But since you're the thread starter and you asked for help, I thought I'd better see if I can give you the answer you need. This is what I did on my Android phone last night:

1. Go to the link below and download this file: com.gopro.smarty.2.9.1551-1551-minAPI16.apk. As far as I can tell it was the latest version prior to the Capture lunacy. Note: I chose not to attach the apk file to this post directly because I'm afraid GoPro might lock the thread if I do.  http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/gopro-rm/gopro/gopro-2-9-1551-release/gopro-2-9-1551-android-apk-downlo...
  2. Uninstall Capture from your phone. Goto Settings->Applications->Application Manager. Force stop the app (if running), then delete the cache data, then delete the rest of the data, then uninstall the app itself.
  3. Go find the apk file you downloaded above. I have a file manager I use. Open it. I run an anti virus app and it takes over the install after scanning the file. This came up clean. It might also prompt you to change allow untrusted sources. If you enable this, remember to disable once completed. Selecting the APK should install the app.
  4. At this point I paired my camera to make sure everything works. Hooray, no **bleep**ing login and I can control my camera again!
  5. If you have auto update turned on in Android like I do, eventually your Gopro App will be updated to Capture. I don't want this to happen again EVER. So open Google Play Store. Navigate to My Apps & Games. It will think Capture is installed, but select it anyway. Once you get to the app page, up in the upper right you will see some dots. If you select them, you can turn off auto update for this single app which is what we want.

So there's the answer to your original request for help. There are several problems with this you need to be aware of. I don't know whether the blocking of auto update willl work since I just did this. Another thing is the app itself (the one without login) will never be updated again. And last, GoPro could easily change the next version of the camera firmware to require Capture. And given what they've already done I wouldn't put it past them. I personally will be storing the apk file I downloaded somewhere very safe (not on my phone!) so if I change phones or have to reset mine I will always have access to the last version without login.

If you can live with these considerations you now have a solution. Good luck, and thanks for being the first to raise the issue.

Anonymous

[ New ]

GoPro fix this immediately.  This decision was made by bean counters, not by someone actually using your product. major mess-up.  I'd write more, but then I might really tell you what I'm thinking.

Anonymous

Re: The Solution (At least for Android users)

[ New ]

@Anonymous Nice solution! Make sure you have a copy of this solution somewhere available outside this forum. Put it on GitHub or similar service. [edit - removed post regarding moderator actions]

Anonymous

[ New ]

Okay, I overracted due to frustration because I wasn't able to use the GoPro when I needed it.  It appears that it not quite as bad as I first thought because you don't have to logon each time you use the app.  However,  I don't have mobile service everywhere I use this and it's not good to have this limitation.  I'm also not big on having data tracked on everything I do.  Please look at a way to improve this.

Anonymous

[ New ]

The latest version of the software (at least on iOS) has removed the need to login every time. I have seen comments that the login requirement is still needed every 30 days, but that isn't the comment in the upgrade notes in the App store, so I can't confirm. There doesn't appear to be a way to stop GoPro collecting your data, although if you opt out of "Personalisation", it is allegedly de-identified. So while my original complaint about logging in every single time has been partly addressed, there are still many issues with Connect.

1. Why is having an account mandatory? If GoPro want to "Enhance my user experience", then I suggest there are more productive ways to achieve that rather than forcing it on me. I don't want to upload a picture of the day/week; I don't want to spend my (precious) time following another information feed...
  2. Why are GoPro collecting my data without giving me an opportunity to opt out? If they had anonymous statistics collection and allowed opt-in, I might be more likely to cooperate.

For me, my GoPro is just a camera. The app on the phone makes the camera very usable indeed, and lets me create great videos and pictures. I am not interested in GoPro's other apps for computers, because I run Linux at home and I have enough tools already.

Also for me, they can keep "Plus". If it works for others, that's great, but I have no interest in loading videos and pictures up to a cloud.

Anonymous

[ New ]
Note: The 30 days is not exactly true. I logged in 6 days earlier using the app with no issues. My guess is the App was updated in the background so 6 days later when I used the GoPro in the back country, I was unable to login as I didn't have a internet connection. There needs to be a bypass to the login requirement when no internet connection is available.

Honestly, if they want to collect data as "big brother", I don't really care, that is some boring data. I don't appreciate turning my camera into a brick every 30 days or every time there is an update.

One more thing to remember before heading out on a trip. Did I login to GoPro?!?
Anonymous

[ New ]

FYI: My phone went through an Auto/-update cycle last night my older non-login version was not overwritten. So the technique described above of turning off Auto-update for a single application from Google Play Store->My Apps works even though it mistakenly thinks Capture is installed.

Anonymous

[ New ]

Hi,

Just found this thread and thought I would join in.

I am incensed that GoPro have done this to a straight forward app that was to control a camera. I have also reverted to the previous version from my Samsung tablet which I copied to my phone after deleting the Capture version and re-installed it ok. Removed the auto-update for the app too.

There are one or two third party apps that will control the GoPro but they are a flaky and the ones i've seen don't give a preview so you can't see the camera view which renders them pretty useless, however I would not be at all surprised to see other apps appearing that provide what the original GoPro app did.

I contacted GoPro Support and their reply is below (my reply to this one is below that). They do use some strange phrases instead of straight forward english though!

Interestingly they seem to suggest that the login request will keep popping up from time-to-time which even if I wanted to log-in I would find annoying as it would most likely appear at the time I don't have access to a network.

Now waiting to see what they reply and how honest they are (not that I could measure it of course!).

[edit: removed email from another individual]

Thank you for your explanation but I, and many others, see it as a sneaky way of collecting more information about customers and nothing to do with better understanding users behaviour, it’s a camera not the Space Shuttle and what I do with it is my business unless I choose to share it with anyone else.

What information will you be collecting and storing from the camera/phone/tablet until the controlling device is back on line so your app can send it without the user knowing, possibly using up their monthly allowance. I can’t see how you can accumulate such information (GPS, Wi-Fi, Cell location or whatever else) without being this sneaky. There is nothing I can find that explicitly states this so are you hoping no one will realise what you are up to?

You cannot assume that because you think something is a good idea that everyone else will too. There should be a simple option to Register/Login In or bypass that  ‘feature’ to just control the camera(s). And you should also state exactly what information or ‘Pain Points’ (sic) you are collecting and how it may affect them as a customer.

This just seems so wrong.

I do not want you or anyone else prying into how I use products I have bought. If I find there is an issue I can contact you, like I am doing now.

I have spent over £1,000 on 3 Hero’s and I now can’t control any of them which I think is extremely poor. Can I have a refund on these as I can no longer use them as I bought them and I’ll move to Sony or Nikon?

Furthermore two people I am a carer for use GoPro Hero cameras, they both have Cerebral Palsy and neither of them has a GoPro account. One lad who is wheel chair bound (his GoPro is clamped to the rear if his wheel chair) has been a GoPro user for three years and suddenly he can’t use his camera from his iPhone anymore and he just cannot understand why, every time I see him he asks when will his camera work again. I don’t know what to say to him now as using his camera was a major part of his day. I can send a photo and link to short video we made if you think I am making this up.

There will be millions of people who don’t care about the information you collect but many more who do so I urge you to re-think this last software update and include the option to bypass registration.

Regards,

Tony

Anonymous

[ New ]

I lost an epic weekend becuse or your app update and login requirement. You are out of your minds disabling the app until an account is created and I'm logged in. I'm selling all my gopro cameras and accessories. 

Anonymous

[ New ]
Please sign the petition at the end of my ongoing complaint about this situation. I asked for a refund and they will not honor my request as it has been over 30 days. Any suggestions?

"Get over it: Yeah, it's a bit lame you need to login..." (Camerdude, customer on Apple App Store)

I don't disagree, logins are necessary for online services. Tethering is a tool. Sure it is a hassle to remember another username/password, it is another step in the process from A to B. GoPro's Customer Service said "Capture isn't the only app that exists that requires login."

Some users have complained and worried that GoPro could act as "Big Brother" by watching your activities and tracking your camera activities. On the GoPro community forums, staff provided this statement. "GoPro made the decision to require the login as it will help us better gauge how our customers use our products, and allow us to identify pain points customers may have so we can improve our future products."

For me, I don't care about any of this. My life isn't exciting enough to believe a conspiracy theory that GoPro is going to be watching my activities, what they will capture, I have no clue.

My issue is the principal of buying in to a product, a tool to do a job, then after several months my tool broke. My tool broke so badly, I lost opportunities I can't afford to remake.

So the back story is, GoPro began requiring a login for the Camera tethering App newly called Capture. This new app removed the existing, fully functional GoPro App that didn't require a login.

GoPro publicly stated the claim that the App only needs entered every 30 days. This might be partially true, but there are other variable that can reset or log you out of the App. Examples include, if the app updates in the background on your smart phone, you have to reset your camera, you have to change the wifi network, or simply forget it has been 30 days, it is possible to be logged out. (For me, over the course of 30 days, my App reset 4 times.)

So what's the big deal, just login again... right?

It isn't that easy. Say you forget to login before your photo/video shoot. If there is no cellular or wifi internet access, you won't be able to use the App. There is no bypass when there is no internet.

Capture is a tool, it functions as a tether between GoPro cameras and Smart Phones. Since many models lack a display, the former GoPro App and Capture allow the user to compose, tether, and review footage.

I bought my GoPro specifically for the tethering capabilities. I owned previous GoPro models, but tethering was a significant reason to upgrade as I wanted the flexibility to remotely control and pre-check, observe, and review as well as control basic functions remotely a fair distance away from the camera.

A camera company that so actively promotes using their cameras in the far reaches of the globe, or even on the edge of space, it makes no sense they would have a non-service tool that requires a login requiring a connection to their servers.

Nick Woodman, Founder and CEO says this about product upgrades. "Our approach is to envision a 'total solution' rather than think about each new GoPro as a 'product'. Products are standalone things. We want to build solutions that help solve problems for people. So, when deciding which features to included in a new GoPro, Karma, or any new software we think about the total solution and experience we're creating for our customers and not as much about the individual product itself." --Nick Woodman (Reddit)

I specifically bought my GoPro to use my smart phone as a tether almost a year ago, although far from flawless, the functionality had occasions where it worked really well.

Why is this an issue for me?

I was out capturing the fall color in the Eastern Sierras of California a month ago. I was planning on filming using my go pro mounted on the hood. Before pulling into traffic I went to enable the camera and realized my GoPro App had disappeared. Thankfully I had internet, so I discovered the App changed names. The app came up in my search and when I opened the app, it looked all nice and new, but there was something new, a login. I wasn't sure what to enter but my general GoPro username/password from the website logged me in with no issues and I was good to go. I figured this was a one time login, but the the nightmare comes later...

I used the App for a couple days, returned home before heading out for the next leg of my fall color trip. Without my knowledge, the App updated again and logged me out. So 6 days later when I reached my second destination and prepared my GoPro to use my smart phone as a remote tether on my 28' photomast, I discovered the login screen returned. I spent the next hour troubleshooting and looking all through the settings, clicking on all the words in the app, everything I could think of to bypass the login. My shot was missed, I had to pack up with no footage. The next day I had to drive back towards civilization to find a cellular connection to login once again. For the remainder of the trip the GoPro worked fine.

Truly, I love GoPro products, I love their new software. I just can't rely on GoPro products if they don't function as advertised.

What solution do I seek?

I want GoPro to remove the login to the Capture App or provide the old App for existing customers who bought into Nick Woodman's full package deal less than a year ago. It is a matter of principal, I shouldn't have to remember to login to an App to use a tool on in the field.

In frustration, I've sought to advocating for the removal of the login requirement for just the remote tethering tool. To project my voice, I created this petition in the last week to gather some followers... Please help, GoPro has to understand their customers needs and this petition should help their numbers in deciding change.

GoPro, you can fix this.

Sign our petition.
https://goo.gl/aVmo5O

Here's a few heartfelt comments.

"Retroactively (and unexpectedly) turning a personal GoPro camera into a "service" requiring a login (contact with the Internet) in order to function is an unacceptable breach of personal product ownership.... What happens next? Will GoPro owners be charged for using certain features of their cameras?" -- Lori Paul

"This is very annoying. I was setting up a GoPro for some shots needed in a TV production. It was on a location where my phone wasn't able to make an internet connection. The result was a useless GoPro and some missed shots. Please remove this disabling feature!!!!"
--Robbert-Jan van der Does

"I have moved onto other products as I can't rely on my GoPro anymore. Support claims "You only have to login once" which is false. It will require logins at random times and eventually you will be burned like I was."
-- Ryan Watts
Anonymous

[ New ]
Thanks - signed and commented!
Anonymous

[ New ]

This invasion of our privacy is the reason i no longer use what used to be an excellent product. There are many cheaper otions to gopro! It was fun while it lasted before the tracking began. 

Anonymous

[ New ]

OMGsh this SUCKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can NOT use the wifi setting for live view at all, and be on the internet at the same time.

DUH! Hellow Mc Fly ***

You just render my camera absolutely useless. Which mean I'm now FORCED to go out and purchase a China knock off.

All because you guys have the ensaciable NEED to monitor everthing my cam does. KMA! It going in the trash.

Anonymous

[ New ]

So my gopro is 12 meters up on top of my mast and i am 30 miles from mobile signal or any form of internet. So please tell me how i can start and stop recording on my hero 4 black?

Second scenario skiing in the Alps no internet access. how do i make sure i have the camera lined up properly?

Please remove the need to login and revert to the old style of app. 

You have just made my hero cameras bricks. if this is not sorted by Jan 1st you will have lost a loyal follower.

R Reading

Anonymous

[ New ]
You need only login once and will no longer be logged out randomly or every 30 days as it happened previously. I found I was even able to delete the app and reinstall it without logging in again. It was a major issue before, hence my dozens of complaints, but so long as you login the first time, it should be fine. Even App updates no longer log you out as it did in the past, I was logged out 6 days after logging in before the fix. So the App works like the old GoPro App before.
Anonymous

[ New ]

So have you ever read anything on security keeping accounts logged in for long periods?. Not a good response I am not impressed.

Why do i need to be logged in to access a device not even connected to the internet. what or who else could piggy back on the logged in account and upload using my account.

This is not acceptable.

R Reading

Anonymous

[ New ]
Just understand I am a ticked off customer as well. I don't work for this lousy company. Their glitch prevented me from using my GoPro for an event I had planned for a year. I checked all my equipment the week before, but during my trip it required a login while I was far from a connection. It wasn't my only camera thankfully, but I lost potential income.
Anonymous

[ New ]
I suggest calling weekly to their customer service and emailing their support weekly. They don't care what comments are made here.
Anonymous

[ New ]
@Anonymous since when do you have to log in only once? I had to log in on monday and this morning, Wednesday, i had to sign back it. I find that I am prompted for my username/password about 3x a week. Would be great if it really was onlu once every 30 days
Tourist

[ New ]

Requiring a username and password once in this app's life is more than it should have been for basic connection to the device. I get you want to collect usage data, but I want to use my expensive camera out in the middle of rural Australia where there isn't an internet connection.

You can easily collect data on the app and upload it when it's back to an interent connection - requring a constant login and update and basically treating our offline devices like a cloud service feels unneccesary.

So I guess if I want to capture amazing footage on the go, I'll use a camera that doesn't require a login, and if you want to capture amazing data on our go, you can keep having us login to use our cameras.

Anonymous

[ New ]

Yup. The same app on the same phone just required me to login again. I'm done with this crap and will do everything I can do destroy the thier name and deter people from buying thier products. Goodbye!

Anonymous

[ New ]

It keeps logging me in every time I start the app. and worst it keeps turning on my mobile data and wireless without asking. The App is being taken off the phone now. Had enough of this. Shame I was looking forward to using it on the boat and skiing in 2017.

Cheesed off with GoPro.

Does anyone from the company read these? and if so is there a plann to do something?

Regards

Roger R.

Anonymous

[ New ]

Hopefully you will be able to instal or reinstall the app without being logged out. the last update resolved the issue for me, the last update on Dec. 5 actually mentions it. 

GoPro is still on my for having a login for a tool.

screen capture

Anonymous

[ New ]

I own the camera that I paid a premium for and choose NOT to have GoPro collect any data from MY device and choose NOT to perticipate in their wanting to know how I use my device. Once you sale me a device you have no rights to know how I use it. This shoud have been an option not mandtory!

So I say SEE YA!  Very dissapointed that I wasted hundreds of dollars only to be duped in the end.  It's only a camera guys and there are numerous manufacterers producing simular products.

Nomad

[ New ]

this login needs to go away. how am I supposed to do that off the grid. 

Anonymous

[ New ]

It seems that GoPRO has lost the plot on more than one area of their business, and are scrambling for ways to monetize their existing users. When I use facebook, I understand that nothing in life comes for free, and that by using facebook I accept that I hand over certain rights. However, when I spend money for a camera, I don't then expect the company to come after me and look to "Understand how our users are utilising the cameras", but adding burdens such as:

• Necessity to have an account
  • Need to log in to use the camera control device

If GoPRO offers me something which enhances how I use my camera, that's great. But it should be optional. If I decide to upload my material to their website and give them access, because I get something in return, then fine. But it should be my choice.

GoPRO got to where they are by innovating and bring excellent products to market. Today they are losing sales, and struggling to compete. In my opinion, if they want to survive, they need to continue to innovate and bring products to market which are better than the opposition. They shouldn't try to compete on price. They also need to repair the relationship with their loyal user base. Many people have more than one camera, and will continue to buy their products. Issues such as this nonsense with capture will ultimately drive users away, and into the arms of competitors.

The latest game by GoPRO is to go after accessory producers. Have a look at  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-eIqx4sDeI. Quite unbelievable, and as Devin says, perhaps not in line with the thinking from Nick Woodman (GoPRO founder).

Like many users, I believe if GoPRO fixes this soon, the damage will be limited. I still love the camera, but at the moment they won't get any more of my money, and if I need to buy another camera I will be looking elsewhere. Once I move to another camera brand, all my GoPRO stuff will go. GonePRO anyone?

Our friends at GoScope (A small company who makes GoPro and camera accessories) were recently told by GoPro to change their name and all their product molds,...
Tourist

[ New ]

I think an important thing to know here is that without login on the camera app you can just as easily get the information about usage than if you have the login. You can still break it down to each individual camera, number of cameras to each app and each app on a mobile device. There's simply no reason to collect information about a logged in user, or with a login unless you want to know exactly how each member of the GoPro community is using their specific cameras.

Why? Well, let's break this down.

* Each mobile device has a unique ID that allows the app developers to track that device's use of the app.

* Beyond that, you can also generate such a code when the app first runs and persist this code through any user that uses the app on that mobile device.

* Additional to that, you can get the unique code of each of the cameras the app connects to

So with just this basic information, you can generate a bunch of analytics and fire those back to the GoPro computer any time they connect back to regular WIFI or have a connection on the 4G network. 

So hey, you could also be nice about collecting this kind of usage information and allow people to opt out. That's just a nice to have, you know, as the nice decent company that GoPro is. So with all of the options available to the developers about and given that this feels purely profit driven it seems less likely this is just bad development and more likely that this is just bad product development.

So let's say you then login to the app, ok maybe some personalised information can be collected - but why do they need to know the SPECIFIC GoPro USER that is actually doing all this stuff - how much each user has, or uses their camera? Are they going to reward us? Are they going to feature us if we have 400 cameras? Are they going to admonish us if we have 400 cameras but never upload any sick mono's on youtube? Of course not, that'd be awkward.

GoPro users by their nature are happy to show off their usage, lives, events, stunts and stupidity - when we upload that to the world or when we talk about it on our social media accounts - but that doesn't give GoPro a right to keep a foot in the door and watch us all the time.

So GoPro I plead with you - stop being that weird person who knows all our secrets even though we don't remember telling you, maybe it was when we got really drunk at Jane's house that one time? Don't be that person. Start being that kick ass friend who encourages you to upload the footage after an epic weekend of camping, kayaking and mountain biking and just straight out ASKING us how we captured it, what we liked and didn't like and treat us like humans.

Otherwise we might have to start hanging out with that good looking German instead.

Anonymous

[ New ]

was this problem solved already? 

Anyways, just last sunday, December 18, I experienced again the same issue... I wasn't able to use the app on my iPhone because of the login issue. So, I have to manually use my GoPro.

I hope there is a fix for this... :( :( :(

Anonymous

[ New ]
Oh no, do you have the most current version of the App? I just checked and my App still hasn't required a login since the previous update. Maybe reinstall the App. I found Instayed logged in even after reinstalling the App.
Anonymous

[ New ]

I believe i have the latest version of the app as it no longer requires an update when opening app store. I'll try re-installing it... I just hope this will solve the problem... btw, thanks for the advice! 

Nomad

[ New ]

that still happens with the current software version. not every time, but nearly every time for me. 

super annoying.

Anonymous

[ New ]

This new requirement is ridiculous. I am unable to work with the app or edit the videos or grab stills from video without logging in. This is extremely problematic because I am often on location WITHOUT any access to wifi or internet access of any kind. What is the point of being able to transfer your video to the app if you can't use it without internet access. GOPRO - you need to change this in the app. Your collection of data from your customers must not come before usability. The point of your product is to allow remote and mobile video, you have ruined this with the changes to the app.

Tourist

[ New ]

Just discovered this today, so it isn't fixed, I only installed 4 days ago. My new Hero 5 black is heading back to the shop for a refund, it has a screen but the phone link is the deal breaker, particularly if trying to capture wildlife. Totally useless for what it was designed for! I don't take too well to the monitoring without permission either.

Anonymous

[ New ]
After almost two months of not having to login, the Capture App on my iPhone disconnected on launch and left me having to try to login. GoPro, I thought you FIXED this!!!!
Anonymous

[ New ]
I now have problems entering password from the app. It will not recognise the password. I have to use my PC to enter the password.

So on Android I have a major issue with this app and it is causing me a major problem.

Please restore the old app functionality. You may as well brick my gopro.

Does anyone from gopro look at this forum. Some form of acknowledgement would be good.
Anonymous

[ New ]
This login is BS for all the reasons stated above. When you're onsite in a remote adventure area. The last thing you need to happen is not being able to control the gopro because you can login to the effin server.
Anonymous

[ New ]

FFS GoPro...

A few years ago GoPro action cameras were the best in the business, hands down, but nowadays the competition is tight... so... If you want to loose costumers, this is one excelent way to do it.

Remove this #"$"#%&#"$ "feature" already.

Thanks

Anonymous

[ New ]
@jefft This is a serious issue. For your information, we use your products beyond wifi and cell signals. You can improve your product now by removing this new requirement. I fear my third GoPro, which I loved, will be my last.
Nomad

[ New ]

weeks go by and I still have to sign-in EVERY TIME I open the app, despite running the latest version of everything...

this is so frustrating..

Anonymous

[ New ]

Since jefft (gopro community manager) on 10/5/16 appears to be the only response from GoPro i would just like to say that the way to better your product is to ask the users (maybe a survey). Once you sale the product it is no longers yours and developing a way to spy on how users use THEIR product is nothing short of an invasion of our privacy. Owners should be able to use OUR GoPro anyway we see fit without anyone elses knowledge. 

All that being said, Good Luck with your future sales as I and others will seek out your competitors action cameras.

Anonymous

[ New ]

I have found myself twice in the last two weeks trying to log into the camera and change settings but am not in an area with an internet connection so the app on my phone won't let me connect to the camera and control my settings. I am now looking for a new camera. I actually use my equipment where there isn't internet. Isn't this a camera to "Get Outside." I get outside and they won't let me control my camera.

Is there a fix coming very soon or should I buy a new camera that I can actually use?

How can I control my camera without signing in?

Anonymous

[ New ]

If this issue with GoPro's Capture upsets you as it does me, please make your voice heard beyond this forum that is barely moderated. I created a petition on Change.org you can sign. But more importantly, make your voice heard by calling GoPro Support. Don't put off with their long wait times, you really have to make them add a record for each call. Write support by email as well. 

I wrote to support as I was dropped out of the App. Their response makes no sense to me, why would I lose my login to the App if I don't have to login beyond the "once" as suggested. 

"My Name is Keith, and I'm helping Billy answer cases while he is out of the office.

I'm sorry to hear about you being logged out of the Capture app when you were trying to use it. I know that we were having intermittent connection issues this last week, which would explain the app logging you out like that.

The issues have since been resolved, and you should be able to log in and use the Capture app as normal now.

Let me know if you're still having the issue, or if you have any questions, and I'd be happy to continue assisting you."

I really loved GoPro and their products until Capture destroyed the function I bought my camera(s) for. Apparently GoPro only works in those places already mapped out by cellular companies.

• IMG_7360.JPG
Hiker

[ New ]

Until Apple gets in the game and destroys everyone, there's always Garmin. Their unit works with their GPS and sports watches too (a bonus for triathletes like me).

GoPro stock has plummeted about 90% since 2014, the SEC might be investigating them about the karma, they misread their market and had to close their "entertainment" division. I can't see them getting rid of the log in requirement because it makes them money when they sell the data and they are desperate for money right now.

They will probably be sold off in the next few months to a buyer who will use the brand to sell cheap cameras capitalizing on the Go Pro name.

Perhaps the reason why they are unresponsive is they've laid off most of the tech staff.