Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Mobile
Highlighted
Anonymous

Re: mandatory login after upgrade

GoPro fix this immediately.  This decision was made by bean counters, not by someone actually using your product. major mess-up.  I'd write more, but then I might really tell you what I'm thinking.

Highlighted
Anonymous

Re: The Solution (At least for Android users)

[ Edited ]

@Anonymous Nice solution! Make sure you have a copy of this solution somewhere available outside this forum. Put it on GitHub or similar service. [edit - removed post regarding moderator actions]

Highlighted
Anonymous

Okay, I overracted due to frustration because I wasn't able to use the GoPro when I needed it.  It appears that it not quite as bad as I first thought because you don't have to logon each time you use the app.  However,  I don't have mobile service everywhere I use this and it's not good to have this limitation.  I'm also not big on having data tracked on everything I do.  Please look at a way to improve this.

Highlighted
Tourist

The latest version of the software (at least on iOS) has removed the need to login every time. I have seen comments that the login requirement is still needed every 30 days, but that isn't the comment in the upgrade notes in the App store, so I can't confirm. There doesn't appear to be a way to stop GoPro collecting your data, although if you opt out of "Personalisation", it is allegedly de-identified. So while my original complaint about logging in every single time has been partly addressed, there are still many issues with Connect.

1. Why is having an account mandatory? If GoPro want to "Enhance my user experience", then I suggest there are more productive ways to achieve that rather than forcing it on me. I don't want to upload a picture of the day/week; I don't want to spend my (precious) time following another information feed...
  2. Why are GoPro collecting my data without giving me an opportunity to opt out? If they had anonymous statistics collection and allowed opt-in, I might be more likely to cooperate.

For me, my GoPro is just a camera. The app on the phone makes the camera very usable indeed, and lets me create great videos and pictures. I am not interested in GoPro's other apps for computers, because I run Linux at home and I have enough tools already.

Also for me, they can keep "Plus". If it works for others, that's great, but I have no interest in loading videos and pictures up to a cloud.

Highlighted
Nomad

Note: The 30 days is not exactly true. I logged in 6 days earlier using the app with no issues. My guess is the App was updated in the background so 6 days later when I used the GoPro in the back country, I was unable to login as I didn't have a internet connection. There needs to be a bypass to the login requirement when no internet connection is available.

Honestly, if they want to collect data as "big brother", I don't really care, that is some boring data. I don't appreciate turning my camera into a brick every 30 days or every time there is an update.

One more thing to remember before heading out on a trip. Did I login to GoPro?!?
Highlighted
Anonymous

FYI: My phone went through an Auto/-update cycle last night my older non-login version was not overwritten. So the technique described above of turning off Auto-update for a single application from Google Play Store->My Apps works even though it mistakenly thinks Capture is installed.

Highlighted
Anonymous

[ Edited ]

Hi,

Just found this thread and thought I would join in.

I am incensed that GoPro have done this to a straight forward app that was to control a camera. I have also reverted to the previous version from my Samsung tablet which I copied to my phone after deleting the Capture version and re-installed it ok. Removed the auto-update for the app too.

There are one or two third party apps that will control the GoPro but they are a flaky and the ones i've seen don't give a preview so you can't see the camera view which renders them pretty useless, however I would not be at all surprised to see other apps appearing that provide what the original GoPro app did.

I contacted GoPro Support and their reply is below (my reply to this one is below that). They do use some strange phrases instead of straight forward english though!

Interestingly they seem to suggest that the login request will keep popping up from time-to-time which even if I wanted to log-in I would find annoying as it would most likely appear at the time I don't have access to a network.

Now waiting to see what they reply and how honest they are (not that I could measure it of course!).

[edit: removed email from another individual]

Thank you for your explanation but I, and many others, see it as a sneaky way of collecting more information about customers and nothing to do with better understanding users behaviour, it’s a camera not the Space Shuttle and what I do with it is my business unless I choose to share it with anyone else.

What information will you be collecting and storing from the camera/phone/tablet until the controlling device is back on line so your app can send it without the user knowing, possibly using up their monthly allowance. I can’t see how you can accumulate such information (GPS, Wi-Fi, Cell location or whatever else) without being this sneaky. There is nothing I can find that explicitly states this so are you hoping no one will realise what you are up to?

You cannot assume that because you think something is a good idea that everyone else will too. There should be a simple option to Register/Login In or bypass that  ‘feature’ to just control the camera(s). And you should also state exactly what information or ‘Pain Points’ (sic) you are collecting and how it may affect them as a customer.

This just seems so wrong.

I do not want you or anyone else prying into how I use products I have bought. If I find there is an issue I can contact you, like I am doing now.

I have spent over £1,000 on 3 Hero’s and I now can’t control any of them which I think is extremely poor. Can I have a refund on these as I can no longer use them as I bought them and I’ll move to Sony or Nikon?

Furthermore two people I am a carer for use GoPro Hero cameras, they both have Cerebral Palsy and neither of them has a GoPro account. One lad who is wheel chair bound (his GoPro is clamped to the rear if his wheel chair) has been a GoPro user for three years and suddenly he can’t use his camera from his iPhone anymore and he just cannot understand why, every time I see him he asks when will his camera work again. I don’t know what to say to him now as using his camera was a major part of his day. I can send a photo and link to short video we made if you think I am making this up.

There will be millions of people who don’t care about the information you collect but many more who do so I urge you to re-think this last software update and include the option to bypass registration.

Regards,

Tony

Highlighted
Anonymous

[ Edited ]

I lost an epic weekend becuse or your app update and login requirement. You are out of your minds disabling the app until an account is created and I'm logged in. I'm selling all my gopro cameras and accessories.