Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Mobile
Highlighted
Anonymous

Re: mandatory login after upgrade

From this link.

https://www.reddit.com/r/gopro/comments/5p0zff/gopro_update_about_capture_app_login/

GoPro reached out to us about an update coming to the Capture App that should eliminate issues with not having internet when you go to use the application. Here is info:

With Capture 3.0, we added the account login/sign-up requirement in order to lay the groundwork for new features we’re bringing to the app that require user accounts. One of the key features that requires an account is Plus (which includes the ability to access your GoPro media anywhere). Additionally, our product team wants to better understand how people use our products across multiple products (i.e. Quik for mobile, Capture, Quik for desktop and our web products) and having a common account enables us to do that. By better understanding our users’ behavior, we can learn crucial information that allows us to provide richer customer support and build better products.

The introduction of login was rough and we’re aware of the frustration it’s caused. We’ve fixed some bugs that were causing users to get logged out while still working on fixing others. We also recently added Facebook login as an option to ease the process of creating accounts and are looking at other ways to make logging in even easier. We also recognize that we didn’t include an important accommodation to use Capture when you’re in a spot with no (or limited) internet data.

If you have ever signed in before, you should remain signed in (even if you’re in a remote area with no internet data), but if you got signed out or have never signed in, you were stuck and that is a suboptimal user experience.

We're excited to say that we’re solving for this offline use case with the next release of Capture that is due to release in February. When you have no data connection, or a limited data connection, you’ll have an option to bypass login and use Capture as normal until you get a solid internet connection again. That’s the basic description and more specific information about how the policy works will be posted in the GoPro support center when we release the new version of Capture.

Thank you for your patience as we continue to evolve our policies and better balance our business needs with creating a frictionless software experience for you, our most valuable users.

-GoPro

Highlighted
Tourist

GoPro,

Make the login fully optional and you will be moving down the correct path, otherwise, you can keep your login and your cameras.  Until then, I will just use my new Virb.

Highlighted
Anonymous

So to the GoPro person who sent you that I ask how does being able to use FaceBook to login help, if I have no internet connection because I'm out in the middle of nowhere and have no phone or wireless connection to use at all. You know out using the **bleep** camera for what it was designed for.

Dear Mr GoPro. Please do what your customers are asking and simply get rid of the **bleep** mandatory login. Put all the bells an whistles you like into the app but as long as you have a mandatory login we can't use your app.
Highlighted
Anonymous

[ Edited ]

Haha it changed **bleep** into **bleep**.

Highlighted
Tourist

As if I'm going to give GoPro access to my facebook account as well as my phone data.  SMH.  This is such a steaming pile of doo.

community-banner.jpg
Highlighted
Anonymous

Ok, so if you are looking for information on how your products are used. Please ask your customers and read this:
GoPro ads feature numerous shots of outdoor action sport in remote locations. So that's where your customers would like to use your products. Like the session 5. As stated above the session cameras don't come with a display to see if your camera position is correct to make the best picture. So that's why your customers used to use your iPhone app Capture. As you need to login now this is no longer possible whiteout an internet connection. If you really want to make your product better then remove the login wall blocker and return it the way it was. This is the worst update you ever made and a big mistake. I'm thinking of returning the camera. As it has become useless this way. I'll get myself a Sony
Highlighted
Anonymous

Furthermore, you do realize that when connecting to the camera via wifi you do not have an active internet connection via wifi at the same time. So login does not work and you'll have to switch wifi settings again. A big flaw in the setup. So please just remove the login and let your customers choose if they want to login and send you data.
Highlighted
Anonymous

I just got upgraded to "Capture" last night, and when I went to use my camera this afternoon... DaFuq?  A quick google and I found this thread.

This is one of the most idiotic features I have ever seen, and I've been in IT for about 25 years.

I know GoPro is losing market share, but come on! Are you that desperate that you will hold users - who've paid good money for your product - hostage to your marketing dorks?   I was willing to put up with the juvenile "extreme brah" vibe that you cram into all your produts, but this is fuqing ridiculous.