Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Mobile
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: mandatory login after upgrade

It seems that GoPRO has lost the plot on more than one area of their business, and are scrambling for ways to monetize their existing users. When I use facebook, I understand that nothing in life comes for free, and that by using facebook I accept that I hand over certain rights. However, when I spend money for a camera, I don't then expect the company to come after me and look to "Understand how our users are utilising the cameras", but adding burdens such as:

• Necessity to have an account
  • Need to log in to use the camera control device

If GoPRO offers me something which enhances how I use my camera, that's great. But it should be optional. If I decide to upload my material to their website and give them access, because I get something in return, then fine. But it should be my choice.

GoPRO got to where they are by innovating and bring excellent products to market. Today they are losing sales, and struggling to compete. In my opinion, if they want to survive, they need to continue to innovate and bring products to market which are better than the opposition. They shouldn't try to compete on price. They also need to repair the relationship with their loyal user base. Many people have more than one camera, and will continue to buy their products. Issues such as this nonsense with capture will ultimately drive users away, and into the arms of competitors.

The latest game by GoPRO is to go after accessory producers. Have a look at  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-eIqx4sDeI. Quite unbelievable, and as Devin says, perhaps not in line with the thinking from Nick Woodman (GoPRO founder).

Like many users, I believe if GoPRO fixes this soon, the damage will be limited. I still love the camera, but at the moment they won't get any more of my money, and if I need to buy another camera I will be looking elsewhere. Once I move to another camera brand, all my GoPRO stuff will go. GonePRO anyone?

Our friends at GoScope (A small company who makes GoPro and camera accessories) were recently told by GoPro to change their name and all their product molds,...
Highlighted
Tourist

I think an important thing to know here is that without login on the camera app you can just as easily get the information about usage than if you have the login. You can still break it down to each individual camera, number of cameras to each app and each app on a mobile device. There's simply no reason to collect information about a logged in user, or with a login unless you want to know exactly how each member of the GoPro community is using their specific cameras.

Why? Well, let's break this down.

* Each mobile device has a unique ID that allows the app developers to track that device's use of the app.

* Beyond that, you can also generate such a code when the app first runs and persist this code through any user that uses the app on that mobile device.

* Additional to that, you can get the unique code of each of the cameras the app connects to

So with just this basic information, you can generate a bunch of analytics and fire those back to the GoPro computer any time they connect back to regular WIFI or have a connection on the 4G network. 

So hey, you could also be nice about collecting this kind of usage information and allow people to opt out. That's just a nice to have, you know, as the nice decent company that GoPro is. So with all of the options available to the developers about and given that this feels purely profit driven it seems less likely this is just bad development and more likely that this is just bad product development.

So let's say you then login to the app, ok maybe some personalised information can be collected - but why do they need to know the SPECIFIC GoPro USER that is actually doing all this stuff - how much each user has, or uses their camera? Are they going to reward us? Are they going to feature us if we have 400 cameras? Are they going to admonish us if we have 400 cameras but never upload any sick mono's on youtube? Of course not, that'd be awkward.

GoPro users by their nature are happy to show off their usage, lives, events, stunts and stupidity - when we upload that to the world or when we talk about it on our social media accounts - but that doesn't give GoPro a right to keep a foot in the door and watch us all the time.

So GoPro I plead with you - stop being that weird person who knows all our secrets even though we don't remember telling you, maybe it was when we got really drunk at Jane's house that one time? Don't be that person. Start being that kick ass friend who encourages you to upload the footage after an epic weekend of camping, kayaking and mountain biking and just straight out ASKING us how we captured it, what we liked and didn't like and treat us like humans.

Otherwise we might have to start hanging out with that good looking German instead.

Highlighted
Anonymous

was this problem solved already? 

Anyways, just last sunday, December 18, I experienced again the same issue... I wasn't able to use the app on my iPhone because of the login issue. So, I have to manually use my GoPro.

I hope there is a fix for this... :( :( :(

Highlighted
Nomad

Oh no, do you have the most current version of the App? I just checked and my App still hasn't required a login since the previous update. Maybe reinstall the App. I found Instayed logged in even after reinstalling the App.
Highlighted
Anonymous

I believe i have the latest version of the app as it no longer requires an update when opening app store. I'll try re-installing it... I just hope this will solve the problem... btw, thanks for the advice! 

Highlighted
Nomad

that still happens with the current software version. not every time, but nearly every time for me. 

super annoying.

Highlighted
Anonymous

This new requirement is ridiculous. I am unable to work with the app or edit the videos or grab stills from video without logging in. This is extremely problematic because I am often on location WITHOUT any access to wifi or internet access of any kind. What is the point of being able to transfer your video to the app if you can't use it without internet access. GOPRO - you need to change this in the app. Your collection of data from your customers must not come before usability. The point of your product is to allow remote and mobile video, you have ruined this with the changes to the app.

Highlighted
Tourist

Just discovered this today, so it isn't fixed, I only installed 4 days ago. My new Hero 5 black is heading back to the shop for a refund, it has a screen but the phone link is the deal breaker, particularly if trying to capture wildlife. Totally useless for what it was designed for! I don't take too well to the monitoring without permission either.