Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Mobile
Highlighted
Hiker

Re: mandatory login after upgrade

It might allow you to go "offline" but if you ever are made by GoPro to go online to use it, or "check in" then that's one time too many. Be upfront why GoPro "needs" us to go online. They want to use and sell our data. The only reason we should have to be online is if we choose to update or choose to upload what we choose. There was absolutly no reason for including the mandatory login except for GoPros greed. And look where that got you. $4/share.  How about this. Just as you were "different" from the rest of the pack when you first started out, choose to be different again by starting to listen to your users. Stock holders don't know crap about creativity. They only know how to be greedy. 

The reason GoPro exists is not because of the shareholders, it's because of your user base. How about paying attnetion to them again.

Highlighted
Hiker

[ Edited ]

@mariustanyawrote:

Hello @noblemesa13304

The latest version of the GoPro App provides an option to go Offline. When this is chosen, you can continue with the app without logging in . 

Thanks, 
Marius

It might allow you to go "offline" but if you ever are made by GoPro to go online to use it, or "check in" then that's one time too many. Be upfront why GoPro "needs" us to go online. They want to use and sell our data. The only reason we should have to be online is if we choose to update or choose to upload what we want There was absolutly no reason for including the mandatory login except for GoPros greed and desparation. And look where that got you. $4/share and an exodus.  How about this. Just as you were "different" from the rest of the pack and a leader when you first started out, choose to be a leader again by being different and starting to listen to your users. Stock holders don't know squat about creativity. They only know how to be greedy. 

The reason GoPro exists is not because of the shareholders, it's because of your user base. How about paying attnetion to them again.

Highlighted
Tourist

As edmund pointed out, even with the latest app you HAVE to create an account and login at some point.  The app just caches your information when you use it offline and then shares it with GoPro the next time you login.

SCREW GoPro!  I'm stil using a version of the app that doesn't require ANY account or ANY login.  The day that version stops working is the day I'll pummell my GoPro camera with a sledge hammer.  GoPro hasn't gotten a dime from me since they instituted this mandatory login nonsense.  And they never will UNTIL the day that the mandatory login goes completely away, forever.

Highlighted
Tourist

It's better to stop any upgrade on all apps, not only GoPro, moste changes in this apps ar NOT "security updates" but most are "Data Collecting" depending on their interests !!!

Use the old offline GoPro App is better for you camera and your privacy!!!

Highlighted
Hiker

Good news!

I have figured out a way to use the app without logging in, so long as you are not connected to Wi-Fi. I'm not sure what version of Android this requires or if it is available on all phones.

Tested on Lineage OS 14.1 (Android 7.1.2).

1. With the GoPro app installed, go to Android Settings -> Apps and find the GoPro app.
  2. Select Data Usage.
  3. Toggle the "Disable all cellular data access" option to on (disabling access).
  4. Make sure your Wi-Fi is off or disconnected. Open the app and click "Sign In".
  5. When asking for an account, select "None of the above", the app will then ask you for an email address and password.
  6. Enter an email address and password (It doesn't have to be for a real account. For example, "no-info-for-you@gopro.com" and password "ksjdh2083").
  7. Press sign in. A loading spinner will appear and then a dialog saying there is no internet connection. Press "Got it".
  8. An "Offline Mode" button should now appear at the bottom of the screen. Press it and hit continue.

Unfortunately, GoPro will "remind you to sign in" after 24 hours so you'll need to do it each day you are filming. There is also an option to disable Wi-Fi access but this would likely prevent communication with the GoPro.

Obviously this will also disable any features which require internet such as clip uploading.

Also posted on reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/gopro/comments/8b9l0o/android_app_using_without_a_login/

Highlighted
Sightseer

Old thread, but I'd thought I'd chime in.  Haven't used the GoPro for a while but pulled it out for a trip we are taking next week.  Now I have to login to control the camera from my phone?

I'll keep using the camera because I paid for it, but will never buy another GoPro product again. 

Highlighted
GoPro

Hello @daviek0

Thank you for sharing! You can opt to not login and still use your phone to control the camera. Check out what @dale2507 posted above. Have a great time on your trip!

Best regards, 
Marius

Highlighted
Tourist

Good morning @mariustanya - Out of interest, are you an employee of GoPro? Do you really think@dale2507 's solution is OK? While it is better than nothing as a work around, wouldn't fixing the app properly be a more suitable solution. You shouldn't have to jump through hoops and mess with different settings to try and bypass what is in the first place an unacceptable requirement.

I really feel for the predicament of GoPro at the moment, but monetising users is not a way out. Develop world beating cameras and the world will come to the door. There will always be Chinese copies - they might beat you on price, but they won't beat you on innovation.

You might even have had more takers if you had created great offerings and asked users if they want to participate rather than by trying to force them in. For me, there is nothing of interest - I don't use Windows or Apple operating systems, so your offerings do nothing for me. The login is just an unacceptable data harvesting activity.