Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Mobile
Highlighted
Hiker

Re: mandatory login after upgrade

I think the whole point of this thread is that GoPro users don't want to be forced to have to sign (and subsequently be tracked) in in order to use software which never needed it before and worked perfectly fine. The default should be No Sign In Needed, then if the user so chooses they can opt into that "method" of use. It's very clear to long time & savy users that GoPro is failing and by implementing mandatory login and tracking they are supplementing hardware sales with selling user data. UNACCEPTABLE.

Highlighted
Nomad

This post is fairly irrelevant anymore. GoPro had bricked tethering via smartphones for a period of a couple months. Originally, if you were in a remote location and didn’t have internet access, there was no bypass to continue tethering. For many of us professionals, we bought into this specific functionality and upgraded within the year to have this important feature ripped from our devices. GoPro had horrible customer service, look at their stock to see it reflected, they even pulled the App name back “Capture” as it was such a faulty move.

The GoPro App is back, a bypass is available now. GoPro is old news.

A few people in this group don’t want to be tracked, GoPro admitted they needed to know how we used our cameras and that was icing on the cake per say for those people who value their privacy.
Highlighted
Tourist

I don't see how is that an acceptable solution. 

Highlighted
Sightseer

You obviously don't listen to your customers.  Just look at the ratings on the App Store, I have never seen so many 1 star ratings for an app.

Like the thousands of unhappy customers who have bothered to rate your app, I do not and will not ever use an app that spies on me without my permission.  I do not choose to share my location with you or anyone else.  I don't want any of the other apps and products you try and force on me, I do not want notifcations or tips sent to my phone and I absolutely will never give you any ownership or rights over any of my footage. Your so-called fix is nothing of the sort. 'Allowing' me to defer logging in until I have wifi is an insulting, patronsing pile of the smelly stuff. 

What I want, and I beleive many thousands of other customers of yours want, is an app that I can use to control the very expensive camera I have paid your company for, without needing to login, without having location services turned on so you know where I am,  without my private information being used without my consent.  I don't want cloud services or editing on my phone or any of the other bells and whistles, I want to do what your misleading adverts suggest I will be able to do - control my camera using my phone, nothing else.

You are succeeding in turning a loyal customer base into ex-customers.  Fix this or I will never buy another GoPro. Of course that will not hurt you, I am just one customer, but you may find if you keep ignoring your customers there maye be a few (thousand) more who will be heading for the exit.

Highlighted
Sightseer

So any changes? After changing the app to GoPro (again) it seems it still requires loging in?

This is the most mother**bleep**ing disrespecting thing GoPro could ever do to their users. I lost so many opportunities to shoot some nice footage in Africa, since the Internet there is a lucky guess... I had to share Internet with my phone... which sometimes worked, sometimes didn't.

Thank you GoPro for messing up a lot of my experiences. Thank you very much.

Unless this changes I will definitevly stop buying new versions of GoPro and will try other brands.

So far I am using my 4 Black and old version of GoPro app, and I don't plan upgrading...

Please tell me Iam wrong, and there is some button "skip" which I missed... ? I will write a long apologietic post then.

Highlighted
Hiker

I believe GoPro is the one that needs to write a "long apologetic post" to all of their customers not you.

Highlighted
Sightseer

Well, that's true.
Sad, but this is the best example how really good companies die and how chineese take over. I guess GoPro becomes now a "domestic" camera for people, who stay at they own playground. Forget about travelling abroad with a bright plan to hide the camera and shoot passing animals, forget about shooting my daughter on school play by placing camera somewhere far from my seat... Eh... Xiaomi YI is not as good as Hero6, but I hope next time I will not hesitate to choose more user-respectfull camera.
Highlighted
Tourist

With the GDPR coming online next month, how will this effect this mandatory data collection! Recently purchased a GoPro Session and nowhere was this requirement made clear that I needed to be data mined to use my phone as a screen. This is just a stupid requirement. Back to my Sony HDR. Only created the account to tell you how stupid it is!