Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Mobile
Highlighted
Anonymous

laggy quik video

my quik video is fine whe I edit it but after i saved it it becomes laggy and choppy, how do I solve this?

Highlighted
Hiker

Re: laggy quik video

I was hoping to find an aswer to that as well. I am having the same issue, I use iphone 6 and/or galaxy 7 with enough memory on both.

Highlighted
Anonymous

Hi,

I'm also looking answers for this one. Can you loop me in once you have one?

Thanks,
Rod

Highlighted
GoPro

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi,

I'm also looking answers for this one. Can you loop me in once you have one?

Thanks,
Rod

@Anonymous @Anonymous @xerez

Hi,

We are sorry if you are having issues with freezes / black screens / choppy frames. 

This issue will more likely affect low-end / mid devices. This is due to technical limitations of the device and its ability - or not - to decode videos at the same time.

For example this issue happens systematically on Samsung devices: a Samsung S7 will be able to decode 5 1080p videos at the same time but only 2 1520p videos at the same time.

Devices that will work smoothly with Quik: Pixel, Huawei, One plus, Nexus 5x, Nexus 6p

Here some suggestions:

• You can try to avoid having 2 video clips next to each other (so putting a photo in between)
  • You can try with lower resolution footage > 1080 / 720 and not 2.7K or 4K.
  • You can try with another video style

Those are little tips that could help. We have no solutions other for now.

Again, sorry about that  :(

Highlighted
Tourist

Has there been a fix to this yet?

I have been using Quik on my S7 since November 2017 and have always had these issues (laggy in the production video). Two or three weeks ago I had my first two flawlessly smooth videos and it was very exciting! They both happened to be created by single recorded videos. Since then when I have tried creating new ones it is worse than ever! These have been trying to combine many short videos as well as a single video file.

All my video is shot in 4k. Only the last two have I tried exporting in 1080p (previously it was 720p exclusively). Attempted multiple video styles including Grammy and RAW.

This is incredibly disappointing! Especially if there is no fix!

Highlighted
GoPro

Hi @sras23

I am sorry for any troubles caused. Kindly check this article for reference: Supported Resolutions for Copy and Share in the GoPro App

Alternatively, you may play the videos on a different device to isolate the issue. You can also test it with Quik for Desktop.

Should you need further help, please let us know by contacting the Support Team. https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Thanks!

EJ

Highlighted
GoPro

Hi @sras23

I'm sorry but this issue isn't fixed.

There's a limit on decoders available in Samsung devices, because of that, transitions between two videos will be corrupt (stuttering effect) > not enough decoders to decode both videos at the same time. 

This explain why when you made a single video edit, it worked fine. 

To avoid this, you can use lower resolution footage > 1080p / 720p and not 2.7K or 4K.

I understand that you will want your raw footage to be in a higher resolution but here's what you can do, to have it both ways.
Shoot in 2.7k/4K and then make an automatic QuikStory. In that process the footage is converted to 1080p to be sent in Quik (original footage on your camera remains 2.7k)
To create QuikStories automatically: Connect your GoPro (HERO5 or newer) to the GoPro App within 72 hours after you shot some footage. Files will be automatically transferred and ready to make a QuikStory.
The automatic transfer is for short-term so make sure to do it within 72 hours.
Hopefully that's something you can think of for next time you shoot some footage. I know it's not the best solution, but it's one."

Devices that will work smoothly with Quik without this issue: Pixel, Huawei, One plus 3, 3T, 5 and 5T, Nexus 5x, Nexus 6p
Highlighted
Tourist

Same problems with quick on iPad pro 9.7

😟