Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Mobile
Hiker

file deletion on ipad (gopro max on quik app)

[ New ]

1. How do I remove deleted files from the GoPro app. I have the GoPro Max and the GoPro iPad App. When I delete videos from the App, the amount of data storage I have on my iPad, tied to the GoPro app, does not change.

2. the app has so much room for improvement on file management.

when I copy 4 hours of video (from my band) to my ipad, if it fails part way, the file name representation (on the hdownload page) does not show anywhere else in the app.. so hard to ID which files I have completed.. plus.. downloading 120+Gb over wifi is just so painful!

GoPro

Re: file deletion on ipad (gopro max on quik app)

[ New ]

Hello @ivana1488 ,

In regards to your first inquiry, have you tried clearing your RAM?

We appreciate your feedback on the file name issue.

We'll have this shared with the team.

We'll update this thread once new information is available.

Thanks!

Jovieganda01

Hiker

[ New ]

I rebooted the whole ipad.. does that not clear the RAM?

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi,

Normally - when you delete media and stories from your app the storage gain should be reflected, if it's not: killing app and starting it again as well as killing Phone settings and checking storage again should be the solution - since it may take time for things to clear and to be reflected in the storage info.

Indeed if you transfer such a big file from your camera to your device it can take a very long time, it will also take a lot of space. I would personaly edit a 4H media on a computer rather than a mobile device. Was that a 360 file as well? or a normal video?

If it's a 360 file - Please note GoPro does offer a free editing solution for 360 on Mac and windows computers which you can use and install today. https://community.gopro.com/t5/en/GoPro-Player/ta-p/413305

Also there are some requirements for 360 support: 

https://community.gopro.com/t5/en/360-Media-Support-in-the-GoPro-App/ta-p/408043

Hiker

[ New ]

thanks haindash 

that may be the case 'normally' , but certainly not my experience. it's disappointing as I specifically bought a 128Gb ipad for this purpose.

equally.. the suggestion to use the windows app is somewhat disappointing. I (again, specifically) bought this ipad (being a through and through apple disliker) upon the advice from gopro support in order to edit files.

I spent a grand on it.

to purchase a graphics card that the windows app  requires to edit HVEC (and touch screen, for effective editing) .. another grand.. for a camer that cost.. $850.

I'm hoping you can appreciate my frustration on this.

the app is excellent for my needs, but if the coders could make it so that I can open files from an external device (card reader into the lightning connector), and to be able to edit/rename files inside it... there would be no room for improvement.

again.. bought the ipad (and I hate apple) specifically upon (phone) advice from gopro support.. feeling pretty gipped in that aspect... the least you can do is give the app what I'd consider standard features (consistent file naming/ability to rename, and organise)..

imagien how great it would be if I could file manage these. create folders with dates and stuff.. this is standard for data mangement.

GoPro

[ New ]
Hi,

I understand how frustrating this must be :(
One thing for sure that would help would be to delete and app and clean install it. Of course this means deleting the whole content of the app, media and stories so you need to finish/save to phone anything ongoing before doing that.
If you have a GoPro Cloud sub then your media are in the Cloud and won't be anywhere else.
Maybe this solution could help out reset things. I will admit that I've personally never use the app with 4h media.
I don't think I have the information as if it was 360 media and what kind of iPad you have.

Sorry again, I hear that it's very annoying for you. We are honestly trying to improve the app as we go - as you might have seen we've just shipped update 8.8.
It has some interesting features: edits is now open to phone media, there's new GoPro Music and a feature to apply edits to all media while doing a Story.

Best,
Hiker

[ New ]

thanks haindash.

yes.. I have already done that (whis is how I managed to get sufficient space on the ipad to edit my next gig), but deleting the app between uploads (which already take a stupid amount of time, and that includes client disconnects which means start over, and inability to figure out which files have copied and which have not because the names on the files are different in the upload view than they are in the library view.. ugh!) is not exactly an optimal process in order to use the software.

this camera is great.. it really is. the software 'could' be great.. but the focus seems to be on 'cool new toys' rather than fundamentals like file management .. I know.. that's nowhere near as sexy.. but fundamentals are.. well.. fundamental.

GoPro

[ New ]
Hi,
I agree with you on fundamental are... a necessity - we are trying to find the right balance between new and basic features. We improve upon user flow, app structure as we go and update the app regularly.
In 8.8 for example we just added a feature to be able to apply to all media of the Story the same filter / color adjust or volume settings. It's a simple and small feature but a basic for video editing when you make a Story with several media and you don't want to add the same filter manually on all media. That's just an example, but anyway we are trying to do both yes.
Sorry that your experience hasn't been great, hopefully we'll get better.
Tourist

[ New ]

I have the same issue, in my case I have Hero 9 and just made my edits on 30G of media, exported it and I want to delete the media from the app, but just deleting it from the app doesn't free up the space (as mentioned on the above post).

This is a real concern, especially if it keeps accumulating. These files are massive and not intended to permanet storage on the iPad.

I tried closing the app and opening it again, no luck. Even though there is nothing on App and Edits, I still have 30G in use!

7DC52BB6-5CA6-4899-AC24-713B60ADFF08.jpegC91B76A9-34EA-4D7F-B2F5-72ED33BD3503.jpeg

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello, @hansw5760. Have you also been able to delete the app and reinstall it? See if doing this will help clear the app storage. Please make sure that all your media (raw and edited) are saved prior to deleting the app. Let us know how it goes. Thanks!

Tourist

[ New ]

Deleting the app and re-installing "solved" the problem. I mean, it isn't a solution IMHO, you can't expect the user to delete and re-install the app (and re-pair the GoPro Camera) every time you finish a larger project. The "delete from app" choice is there for a good reason, it just not working.

GoPro

[ New ]

Thank you for the update,@hansw5760. We appreciate the feedback. We will have this shared with the team. 

GoPro

[ New ]
@hansw5760
Agreed that delete and install again isn't the greatest solution of all... The thing is this problem surfaces from time to time randomly and although we did investigate it, we were never able to reproduce it on our end, not knowing how to trigger this problem is what makes it impossible to fix :(