Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Mobile
Tourist

failing to connect to mobile hotspot

[ New ]

I have a GoPro Hero 8 Black & the GoPro app is installed on my iPhone XS Max (running iOS 13.7). I've followed all the steps (at https://community.gopro.com/t5/en/Troubleshooting-GoPro-App-Connectivity-Issues/ta-p/392964) which was recommended in another Support Hub post... when having connectivity issues.

But, nothing seems to help me connect to my mobile hotspot... that's on the same device that my GoPro app is installed on. 

What gives? I need to be able to use my mobile hotspot, because that's the whole purpose behind me using a GoPro to multicast from my automobile. 

PS - I have no problems connecting my GoPro to my 2.4Ghz or 5G WiFi networks in my home. 

Tourist

Re: failing to connect to mobile hotspot

[ New ]

More info.... 

iOS version 13.7 
GoPro version 6.18.1 

& I'm trying to connect my mobile hotspot, when livestreaming. 

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @credituturn. Thanks for all these details and sorry to hear you're experiencing trouble with live streaming. Please make sure you have strong cellular coverage and a data plan that lets you stream from a hotspot and provides adequate data rates.

We'll also share this with the team. I've seen this happening in intermittent situations or sometimes not at all. Our App team is aware of the issue and it is being worked on. We'll post an update once we have new information available. 

Tourist

[ New ]

I live in a major metropolitan area & have no signal issues... and have an Elite business bundle, with no data or throttling issues. And, it's more about having an issue connecting to my mobile hotspot... when trying to livestream. It's your app that isn't connecting. 

GoPro

[ New ]
Hi @credituturn

I've shared this message on another thread, hopefully it will help:

The dev team has investigated a lot on this and what we've found is this:
If the hotspot is not showing up in the app, it means that the camera is not seeing it. The dropdown menu in the app is simply a window into what hotspots the camera is detecting. If the camera isn’t detecting the hotspot, it’s more than likely because the Apple operating system (iOS) has stopped broadcasting the hotspot. The OS does this to save battery life on the phone. Apple has the special and unique ability to turn on the phone’s hotspot. However, we,developers, do not have the same access. An attempt to connect to your phone’s SSID when it is not broadcasting, even if the toggle is ON, fails 100% of the time.

Workaround that dev have found:

- Enter the live streaming config screen
- Switch over to your hotspot screen on the iOS device.
- Turn the hotspot OFF. Wait 5 seconds.
- Turn the hotspot ON. Wait ~5 seconds on the hotspot screen.
- Swap back to the GoPro app and select the dropdown.
- Wait for loading spinner to go away and you should see your hotspot in the list.