Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Mobile
Anonymous

cannot preview video or photo on my apple watch

[ New ]

I have an Hero+ and installed the last GoPro App on my Iphone 7. It works fine with my iphone.

I have an Apple watch 2 and try to use the app on it.

I can control the camera with the watch (select video, or photo) but when I want to see a preview on the second screen on my watch I cannot see any image (just a blue circle...).

Have you any idea of the problem ?

Nomad
Nomad

Re: cannot preview video or photo on my apple watch

[ New ]

After the latest update I had the same problem.

I have an iphone 6 and an Apple Watch 2. Both could control and preview my Hero5 Session.

After the last update the Apple Watch could control/change the shooting mode but when I tried to preview, all I got was a blue circle and no preview.

I removed the app from the watch ( using the watch app on the phone ) and then reinstalled the Gopro app onto the watch. This sorted the issue and preview now shows on the watch.

Your experience may differ as you have a Hero+ and I have a Session 5 but it worked for me.

Anonymous

[ New ]

Thank you for your answer.

I tried your suggestion :  desinstallation and reinstallation of the app, but the problem is still remaining. When I am on the "Frame shot" screen on the watch I still only have a flashing blue circle and the preview dosen't start...

My watch OS version is 3.2.3 and iOS 10.3.3

Nomad
Nomad

[ New ]

Update

After an initial successful reinstall and preview working, subsequent testing has thrown up :-

• the same issue with preview not working
  • in addition, scrolling through to change the photo/video modes on the watch doesn't always get transmitted to the gopro. so the watch can show take a photo, you press it and it takes a video

I will keep on trying it out but it looks as if the phone part of the app is OK but the Watch part doesn't seem to be working properly.

Unfortunately, software bugs/faults seem to be quite common with GoPro recently and it's a shame as it lets down what could be a really good overall experience.

Anonymous

[ New ]

Anonymous

[ New ]

I removed and reinstalled the app on the watch 2, and now works well. Thank you for the help.

Anonymous

[ New ]

The reinstall of the app on the watch (Series 1) solved the issue for me as well.

Awesome feature to have controls and preview on the watch!

Anonymous

[ New ]
Update
It worked for one or two days and then it stopped working again
Anonymous

[ New ]

I’m currently having the same issues with my Apple Watch Series 2 and my Hero 6 Black. Specifically the “Frame Shot” function to preview the live feed. I was able to use it with my Hero 4 Silver, but now I get nothing. Just a moving loading dot and “starting preview”. This applies to all resolutions for video and stills. I’ve removed the GoPro app from the watch and added it back but I’m getting nothing. I’ve also totally reset my Apple Watch, and Hero 6 both to factory settings and I️ still just get the bouncing dots. I️ can start/stop/control the hero 6, but the frame shot/live feed preview doesn’t work.

Anonymous

[ New ]

Same problem here, Hero 6 black, Apple Watch 2 and iphone 7plus. No way to get preview. We may need an update of the app .

Anonymous

[ New ]

I'm having the same issue.  Very frustrating. I've uninstalled/installed the app more times than I care to count.  It usually works for a while, then stops. 

Seems to work fine with the iPhone 7, but my Apple Watch series 3 w/cellular will not consistently connect for the preview.  It's very frustrating as I was looking forward to that feature when capturing video in the field.

I hope there's an app update soon.

Anonymous

[ New ]

I am now having this same problem on my GoPro Session5.    9 months since the first time this is reported and not a peep out of GoPro..   That is a dissappointment.    

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @Anonymous, 

Have you been able to try out the recommended steps above? Also see of the steps to fix here will help resolve the issue. Alternatively, you can also get in touch with our Support team for a more personalized support. You can reach them here: https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Best regards, 
Marius

Nomad
Nomad

[ New ]

The situation has not changed since my original post in August of 2017.

I have deleted and downloaded both the GoPro app AND the watch app numerous times with exactly the same result .....

• The Gopro app on the phone works perfectly.
  • after deleting and reinstalling the app on the watch, it works initially ( able to preview and change modes )
  • After a few days, when using it again, on the watch app the preview function just displays a bouncing blue circle and never displays a preview although you can change modes - though even this is a bit glitchy, only changing down the modes, not back again

It would seem that the connection between the watch and the phone for this function fails after one usage. This has not changed in any of the numerous updates despite me sending a bug message to the technical team.

Please pass this on to the software team, I'm sure one of them will have an Apple Watch available to check / test / update software / retest.

There's a lot of frustrated Gopro/Watch users out there who really want to get this part of the software working again as it's one of the (potentially) most awesome features og the GoPro ecosystem.

GoPro Session 5 / iPhone 8

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @jcd

Thank you for sharing! I will pass this on to the team. Will keep you posted for updates. 

Thanks, 
Marius

Anonymous

[ New ]

Hi! 

Similar issue happens with my devices.

I have an iPhone X paired with GoPro Hero 4 and live preview always fails.

But worst than that is an existing bug when changing the shooting modes:

- Pair iPhone + GoPro with wifi

- Turn on GoPro Apple Watch App

- (BUG) scroll to VIDEO mode and you cannot select anymore Photo Mode

- shutdown GoPro Apple Watch App

- Turn on GoPro Apple Watch App (again)

- (BUG) scroll to ANY other mode (excluding VIDEO) and you can now select Photo Mode but never again VIDEO mode!

Seems that there is a bug while calculating the indexes of the menus!

Would be awesome if you could have this fixed. It is really a shame to not trust on the GoPro Apple Watch App while scrolling (because if I am remotely changing the modes I never now which one is really on), and have it as a useless app! =/

I hope this helps.

Looking forward to hear from GoPro team.

GoPro

[ New ]

Thank you for sharing, @Anonymous. We are still waiting for an update from the team but we will keep you posted for updates. 

Nomad
Nomad

[ New ]

Three months on and several updates to the app and STILL cannot preview video or photo on the watch app. It's now a year since the issue was reported - Happy Birthday !

PLEASE, PLEASE, can someone in the software team either get it working or at least be honest and remove the watch part of the app.

Come on guys, your hardware is incredible but your software is letting you down.

Sightseer

[ New ]

Unable to Preview/Frame Shot. I do have the ability to take photos/videos/bursts from the watch.  I am able to see a preview on my Iphone X.

I've tried the fixes that I have read about on this forum and on the GoPro help page.  Waiting to see when this might get fixed.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @rnursula

We'll keep you posted as soon as we receive an update about  this. 

Thanks,

-Jay 

Sightseer

[ New ]

I had experienced the same, my hero 7 black (version 1.51) with my iPhone X working fine (preview video). However, i am not able to preview video on my Apple watch 3.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @cheungbut

Please go over these steps:

1. Make sure the user your iPhone is connected to the camera's Wi-Fi network
  2. Make sure the Apple Watch & Phone are communicating to each other
    • The Apple Watch has a maximum range ~330ft, keep in mind that this will be affected by wireless interference
    • The GoPro needs to be within 35-50ft of the iPhone
  3. Force Close the Watch App
    • Open the GoPro App on the Apple Watch
    • Hold the side button down until the power off screen appears
    • Press & hold the side button again and the app will force close
    • Relaunch the GoPro App on the watch
  4. Toggle Airplane mode On/Off on the iPhone

If the above did not allow you get the GoPro App working on your Apple Watch, we'd recommend running through a Wi-Fi reset on your camera.

Let us know how it goes.

If all else fails, please reach out to our Support Team to isolate this further.

https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Regards,

Ej

Sightseer

[ New ]

@aragon1006

not work on watch series 4 with iphone xs and gopro 7 black 

Nomad
Nomad

[ New ]

Despite many updates and promises from the GoPro Team here to pass on to the development team and any number of "suggestions" on how to fix it, everyone who has posted here can confirm that the watch part of the app DOES NOT WORK properly..........

The situation has not changed since my original post on the issue in August of 2017 ( 15 months ago ! )

I have deleted and downloaded both the GoPro app AND the watch app numerous times with exactly the same result .....

• The Gopro app on the phone works perfectly.
  • after deleting and reinstalling the app on the watch, it works initially ( able to preview and change modes )
  • After a few days, when using it again, on the watch app the preview function just displays a bouncing blue circle and never displays a preview although you can change modes - though even this is a bit glitchy, only changing down the modes, not back again

It would seem that the connection between the watch and the phone for this function fails after one usage. This has not changed in any of the numerous updates despite me sending a bug message to the technical team.

Please pass this on to the software team, I'm sure one of them will have an Apple Watch available to check / test / update software / retest.

There's a lot of frustrated Gopro/Watch users out there who really want to get this part of the software working again as it's one of the (potentially) most awesome features of the GoPro ecosystem.

GoPro Session 5 / iPhone 8 / Apple Watch 2

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @wingkith37360 @jcd

Please help me out with the following information:

• iOS Version
  • WatchOS Version
  • GoPro App Version

Thanks!
Ej

Sightseer

[ New ]

IOS 11.3.1 (15E302)

GoPro 5.0.1

Watch 4.2.3 (15S600b)

Nomad
Nomad

[ New ]

@aragon1006 here is requested info ........

IOS version 12.1 ( was 12.0.1 until yesterday )

Watch OS version 5.01

Session 5 firmware version 02.51

GoPro app version 5.01

Apple Watch 2 / iPhone 8 / Session 5

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @rnursula @jcd

Thanks for sharing the infromation.

I'll have this passed along to the team in charge,

We'll get this post updated once we have additional information.

Regards,

Ej