Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Mobile
Highlighted
Tourist

YouTube Live Streaming with Hero 8 not working even with 1000 subs and YT activation green

Hi,

I tried to do a live stream on YouTube with Go Pro Hero8. But it is not finally working. No video nor sound is beeing send live.

My channel has over 1000 subscribed users and live streaming option is running fine with other devices.

You can check my channel out here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoelPsM5ggzEshfgfnWAfqw

Once I setup the live stream to YouTube via the GoPro IOS App all I get is a blue sign and it says that it is streaming. When I then go onto YouTube it says "waiting for user" and no stream is recognised. I also tried this via my hotspot on the IPhone no success. So live streaming is not working with the Go Pro Hero 8 on Youtube so far for me.

What am i doing wrong or what else can be done to solve this?

Anybody is welcome to help.

Thank you very much in advance.

Best Matthias

Highlighted
GoPro

Re: YouTube Live Streaming with Hero 8 not working even with 1000 subs and YT activation green

Check your channel's videos, and see if the live video is there :)

If you're streaming straight up from the app, you don't need to do anything from web. If you're RTMP streaming, then indeed you'll need to do some actions from Web.

If this is not what you're talking about, do you mind attaching a screenshot or a video of the issue? I'll try to help you out from there.

Cheers,

aarlekk

Highlighted
Tourist

Re: YouTube Live Streaming with Hero 8 not working even with 1000 subs and YT activation green

Hi Aarlekk,

I looked multiple times with various differnt browser and computer to see and check if something is coming up. But no success.

You can have a look at the channel yourself. The last try is still there and waiting for a signal from the user which is me. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUs_zHz5JSw

I am using the GoPro App on IPhone XR and initiate the live stream via the app selection "stream live direct to YouTube" - It then says everything is running fine but no live stream gets send out. Either way thru Wlan router nor thru hotspot. Also no RTMP since I use the preset setting in the gopro App and the Gopro hero8.

Looking forward hearing some more suggestions from you that might solve this problem. 

From what I found untill now there had been similar problems about a year ago. At least they are found in this forum. But no real solution was presented so far so I am still looking and trying.

Thank you.

Bildschirmfoto 2020-01-16 um 21.07.38.png
Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
Highlighted
Tourist

I just made a oneshot video that illustrates pretty much the whole problem and the situation I face while trying to go live.

Please look at the whole video from start to end since this shows you a lot I think.

https://youtu.be/EOJQSAv1_pY

I am looking forward to a solution since I really like the goPro Hero8 so far.

It is just so disappointing that there are a lot of connection issues.

Thank you

This is a oneshot video to show the whole process and all the integrated problems I experience while trying to do a live streaming session with the GoPro Her...
Highlighted
GoPro

Until we get down to the bottom of this, I can suggest you a workaround that would involve streaming with the camera via RTMP to youtube.

In order to make it, you''ll have to provide the rtmp_url/streamkey to the camera, via the app, and it'll send live feed to youtube, and then you can host it up from there. It's the most manual and most reliable method for me, as a dj, to stream with no problems.

So the stream url in RTMP should look like: rtmp://a.rtmp.youtube.com/live2/bsk6-z7vv-gvq5-0wx1 , where "bsk6-z7vv-gvq5-0wx1" is the youtube streamkey provided after hitting the Upload Button > Go Live > Stream Tab > Add Title and Parental Control > Extract URL and StreamKey from there.

Let me know how it goes, I'll update you with our QA findings after we'll narrow it down.

General things you could do to avoid the connectivity issues is to:
- Restart your iphone every once in a while, coz the app might get in a funky state over time, and restarts fix this usually.
- Reset Camera Connectivty if you cannot connect to it
- Hard reset of the camera, by pressing the mode button for 8 minutes.

Sorry this is happening to you man, let me know if my suggestions work.

Cheers,

aarlekk

Highlighted
GoPro

Based on the behavior you're witnessing at the end, it looks like the problem lies with Youtube. Initially i would've said that you need to wait a minute or two, because of the stream delay [which is normal], but apparently the camera's successfully sending the feed, but Youtube's unable to ingest this.

Gonna look into this closely, just let me know how the RTMP workaround works.

Peace out!

Highlighted
Tourist

Hi Aarlekk,

thank you very much for your fast response. Well I have been on the road and I will give this a try via rtmp tonite once I am back at the studio. Actually rtmp streaming works fine with my other cam gear that I use so I assume it will work fine with the GoPro8 via rtmp as well. I will keep the fingers crossed ;) . But actually I bought this hero8 because of the promotion where it is said that I can directly stream to YouTube via the app from on the road. That is why I also tryed it via the mobile phone in a hotspot mode and as well I tried it out on various differnt Iphones. Also I allready had it up and running for over 15 minutes in various sessions on various days. With no luck. All there was is a connection to youtube was established. But no videofeed gets thru.

Might that be a problem with my gopro in specific or is this a major bug with the IOs app? I will keep you updated and will let you know what my experiences are with the rtmp stream.

Best Matthias

Highlighted
Tourist

Yes I will keep you posted on how the rtmp goes on.

best Matthias