Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Mobile
Sightseer

Wont let me control camera after connecting to the GoPro wifi?

[ New ]

i went through the setup on the go pro app. when pairing it did not even ask for the 4 digit number on the go pro. after i connected to the wifi i named for my device. When i click back into app it keeps instructing me to turn on wifi for device when trying to control it. 

GoPro

Re: Wont let me control camera after connecting to the GoPro wifi?

[ New ]

Hi @heroicjump13,

Looks like you phone is switching network conenction. 

Please turn off smart network switch on your phone. 

Check your phone's connection settings and make sure that your phone won't switch to a wireless network with internet connection. 

-Jay

Tourist

[ New ]

I'm having the same issue. My wifi's holding steady on the gopro's signal 'cause i told it to, but the app still won't take control.

I can probably just manually stop it, but I don't want to accidently nudge the tripod 'cause i'm in the middle of a multi-day timelapse.

This has happened before, and it's been very discouraging. I'm hoping somebody knows a way to 'ping' it and get it back under app control.

Thanks!

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello, @00manny. Do you mean that your phone and camera can pair successfully but eventually loses connection via GoPro App? In doing recordings, does your mobile phone always get the preview of what the camera is seeing? Make sure that the phone does not time out or goes into screen-saving or power-saving mode for the whole duration of the recording as this could interrupt the connection. 

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi mariustanya,

Never loses connection.

After about a minute or so of tasking after I click "Control your GoPro", the app just says "We had trouble connecting to your GoPro". The phone, however, is still connected to the camera's wifi.

Thanks!

GoPro

[ New ]

Thank you for the quick response, @00manny. If you haven't done them yet, try the following steps: 

Make sure that your camera is updated to the latest firmware, that your phone is updated to the latest OS version and that you have the latest version of the GoPro App installed as well. After the updates, restart your phone, clear cache (cache only, not data) on the app settings if accessible, and try pairing with the camera again. Connectivity should be working this time. 

If the issue persists, reset Wi-Fi connection by forgetting GoPro first from the list of Wi-Fi networks on your phone settings and deleting it from the list of Bluetooth devices. Also, remove the camera from the list on the GoPro App. Reset camera to factory settings, then re-pair. 

Let us know how it goes. 

Tourist

[ New ]

I had tried all of the standard suggestions. Everything's up to date, cleared, restarted, etc. I did everything short of resetting the camara itself. I was hoping someone had a non-standard trick that could get me connected.

Everything onboard the camera suggests that it's still recording, it's just a bummer that I can't check on the progress and decide whether it's even worth continuing without possible nudging the framing. 

Thanks for trying. 

Sightseer

[ New ]

00Manny - did you ever get this problem resolved?? I got the same thing. 

The phone connects to Wifi and the app shows Im connected to my camera. But I cannot control it OR view media on it.

Kinda a piece of crap if this is how it is...

CMON GO PRO!! wth?!

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @timmy2x4. Sorry to hear you're having issues with the app. If you've already gone through the suggested troubleshooting steps and still experiencing the connection problem, please contact our Support Team so they can assist you further on the next steps. You may reach out to them through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs to initiate a callback request or chat with one of the representatives.

Sightseer

[ New ]

Hey i had the same problem on my gopro+3 for a long time of trying all the tricks

simple thing that worked is:i turned my bluetooth on

so wifi and bluetooth on

worked for me!

let me know

Spoiler

Sightseer

[ New ]
I have same problem , and try your solution and it's really worked . Thank you so much.
GoPro

[ New ]

@heroicjump13 @milagopro0 @timmy2x4 

Are you ok with connecting your device to your GoPro?

When connectivity doesn't work on Android 10 we recommend this:

try manually connecting to the camera's WiFi network.  Send the app to the background and manually connect to the camera from your phone’s WiFi settings. You can find the password by putting the camera in pairing mode, then hitting the Info button on the camera.

And for iOS 14:

Please try the following suggested steps accordingly:

1. Allow GoPro through the Local Network settings. On iPhone go to Settings > GoPro > enable Local Network (If enabled, disable and re-enable) go back to GoPro App, and try connecting again.
  2. Reboot your iPhone. Especially if you’ve just updated to the new iOS 14, it’s always a good idea to reboot your phone and try again.
  3. Disable Mac address. This is especially true if you see “No internet connection” when trying to connect to your GoPro Camera. Open Settings app > then go to “Wi-Fi” > find your GoPro camera’s network > tap the "i" button next to the network > toggle the switch for “Private Address” to the Off position.

Also: 

Some phones and some regions require that the camera be in a 2.4GHz wifi band so you may want to check that as well. This has to be changed on the camera > Preferences / Connections / Bandwidth

GoPro

[ New ]

@heroicjump13 @sunnyridge53544 @milagopro0 @timmy2x4 

Sorry for all the trouble, if the work-around provided didn't help, know that we have an app update coming up 7.2 as well as a camera firmware update coming in October as well.

GoPro

[ New ]
@heroicjump13 @sunnyridge53544 @milagopro0 @timmy2x4

When you get a chance do update your HERO9 to firmware 1.22 which solves some connectivity issues.