Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Mobile
Highlighted
Tourist
Accepted Solution

Why gopro mobile apps exports 1080p even if source 4k?

1080p maximum in 2020. Are you serious?
Most of us have 4k action cameras hero 5/6/7/8.
And all of us have new smartphones to edit 2.7k or 4k.
When we can export the same as source videos resolution?

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
GoPro

Re: Why gopro mobile apps exports 1080p even if source 4k?

@cicciosgamino @redemon @dcorep 

Currently here's what you have when you export a multi-clip edit in GoPro App (not Quik App)

- On Android it's 1080p/60fps in output.
- On iOS we take the resolution of the most media in your Story (so if you have a majority of 4K media, output will be 4K)

iOS is technically more performant. The encoder performance and quality provided by the Android devices isn't the same which makes it more challenging.

We are working on improving this and making it more transparent.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Sightseer

The same issue, agree with question, now need to use iOS for export into 4K, when will be available in Android?
Any existing phone lists for 4k?
Highlighted
GoPro

Currently, the story export quality in the GoPro App (using Multi-Clip Edit tool) is automatically set to 1080P/60 FPS. Anyhow, we appreciate the feedback as it can help us build a better experience with our products and applications. We'll relay this information to the team in charge. Let us know if anything else comes up. Stay stoked & have fun capturing moments using your GoPro!

Highlighted
GoPro

@redemon @dcorep 

As @aenriquez we're working on improving the app and export quality is one of the topic our team is concerned with. On that particular matter Android is technically more challenging than iOS.

Highlighted
Tourist

I've experimented problem in exporting 4k video from thr GoPRo App to Save on the phone i didn' t notice the past month ... So i'll waiting an update with fixs for all the exporting issues in Android world !! 

Highlighted
GoPro

@cicciosgamino @redemon @dcorep 

Currently here's what you have when you export a multi-clip edit in GoPro App (not Quik App)

- On Android it's 1080p/60fps in output.
- On iOS we take the resolution of the most media in your Story (so if you have a majority of 4K media, output will be 4K)

iOS is technically more performant. The encoder performance and quality provided by the Android devices isn't the same which makes it more challenging.

We are working on improving this and making it more transparent.

Highlighted
Tourist

Hello,

Is there a timeline to fix this issue?  I bought the Hero 8 largely for the easy edit functionality of using a cell phone.  Is there a Web Based app that has this functionality perhaps (workaround).  Windows?  Anything other than Apple? I really hope I didn't waste my money, but looks that way.

Thanks,

Steve

Highlighted
GoPro

Sorry about that but I don't have a timeline. Android is challenging performance wise which doesn't allow us to make 4K exports for multi-clip editing. We are working in that direction but I don't have a timeframe.