Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Mobile
Highlighted
Anonymous

Re: Why do I need internet connection to connect to the camera?

Same here, and it is 2017

Highlighted
Anonymous

This is **bleep**. In the past when I purchased a what was a fantastic product I could turn my camera on, connect my phone no matter where or when. I have given up. The GoPro is in the draw I call the **bleep** products bin.
Highlighted
GoPro Community Manager

We updated the Capture app about a month ago. If you are somewhere without Internet service, you can continue to use the app in an offline mode. It will look like this.

Highlighted
Sightseer

Frustrated by this as well. I don't stay logged into the app because even when I close it, the app stays running in the background unless I sign out. I don't understand the need to to be connected to the internet for this. First of all, like the original post mentioned, most of the time I don't have a reliable connection, if at all, when and where I'm using my GoPro. Plus my phone is conencted to the GoPro's wifi when the app is in use anyway. It can not be connected to both, so what's the point. I've had to result to manually controlling my GoPro in situations where it kept searching for a connection. Which I know doesn't sound like a big deal but this used to work flawlessly. I have come across the offline mode but that only seems to appear as an option after a failed attempt to login. This past week it kept failing to make a connection and the use offline message never showed up. It's just really frustrating because sometimes what I'm recording isn't exactly planned for and more than half the time I end up having to give up on the app in order to run over and manaully click through the camera settings last second to be able to record what I want.

Highlighted
Sightseer

[ Edited ]

Corporates forgetting who the customer is and tieing them in to their ecosystem to generate ongoing revenue and gather marketing and personal data. Too much cloud and social media making products over complicated and intrusive. Corporates forget that it’s my camera, my pc/tablet/phone, my data, etc. They have no right to interfere, monitor or intrude.

Oh and of course it’s all done for my benefit and to help develop products and provide a richer customer experience.

Highlighted
Sightseer

A freaking men! I feel exactly the same way.

Highlighted
Sightseer

following!  this has been a huge problem for me also.  Zero internet connectivity so apparently I have a new paper weight.

Highlighted
GoPro Community Manager

@hardystorm65175 - You don't need an external Internet connection in order to connect the camera to the GoPro app. The camera itself creates its own wifi signal that your phone can pair to so your phone can communicate with your camera. You could be in the middle of nowhere where the nearest wifi signal was miles away and still be able to pair your camera to your phone.

Instructions on how to pair the camera to your phone are at https://gopro.com/help/articles/block/How-to-Pair-the-Camera-with-the-GoPro-App.

Thanks,

Jeff