Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Mobile
Highlighted
Anonymous
Accepted Solution

Why do I need internet connection to connect to the camera?

[ Edited ]

New app update requires to sign-in and that requires to have internet. I never have internet where I film. How can I avoid this?

[edit - removed content re: moderator actions]

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
GoPro Community Manager

Re: Why do I need internet connection to connect to the camera?

@hardystorm65175 - You don't need an external Internet connection in order to connect the camera to the GoPro app. The camera itself creates its own wifi signal that your phone can pair to so your phone can communicate with your camera. You could be in the middle of nowhere where the nearest wifi signal was miles away and still be able to pair your camera to your phone.

Instructions on how to pair the camera to your phone are at https://gopro.com/help/articles/block/How-to-Pair-the-Camera-with-the-GoPro-App.

Thanks,

Jeff

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
GoPro Community Manager

You will only need Internet connection to log into the app. Once you are logged in, you should not need to log in again unless it's been more than 30 days since you last used the app.

Highlighted
Anonymous

Really.  How can that work for users or be good for business?  When I purchased you had a fantastic product that I could use as you promote when and where I want to.  Now if I am in a remote locatiion with no internet conection it is usless, correct me if Im wrong please?

Highlighted
Explorer

This has since been fixed.  The 30 day login is no longer required.

Highlighted
Anonymous

So this has been changed in the last few hours? I now as I used to be able conect my phone to my camera with out the need for any interaction with the internet what so ever?
Highlighted
Explorer

You do need to login when you first download and use the app.

However, as of November 14th update:

WHAT'S NEW

--- NEW + IMPROVED ---
+ Stay signed in with Android Smart Lock.
+ Now supporting Quik Key: View, edit and transfer media from any SD card (some Android devices not supported).
+ Fixed a bug that automatically signed some users out after a period of inactivity.

Highlighted
Nomad

I am thrilled to hear this. Here's the details we received for the Apple update. No mention of a fix. Does this make sense why we have continued to be frustrated?

I am so relieved.

IMG_6419.PNG

Highlighted
Anonymous

Nup. I loaded new update yesterday. I still need Internet before I can use camera. Tried it multiple times. Each time I had to login to access the camera. STILL A FAIL!!!!'
Get your product fixed GoPro take it back to the fantastic product it once was.