Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see if it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Mobile
Tourist

Why did GoPro remove Protune from mobile phone app?

[ New ]

Hey @GoPro @aenriquez @mariustanya @haindash why were the Protune features removed?

Please DON'T link me to your Inside Line article or copy and paste the content, already saw that.
I just want to know what's the reason behind that? Clean up the mobile app code? 
It's essential to have Protune settings changeable via mobile phone app for a lot of GoPro users :(

Sightseer

Re: Why did GoPro remove Protune from mobile phone app?

[ New ]

I have just found it out accidentally today, right before using it on an assignement tomorrow! I am furious! What's the point of this??

I have to shoot HDR photos with the fusion, can't move the compensation from the camera itself, it means losing the same spot!!!!

Did you get any answer to this issue?? Thanks God we still have an old phone with an old GoPro app version on it and there we have the options...

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello Everyone!

The ability to change Protune settings and the camera beep volume are no longer on the GoPro app.

Protune and camera beep settings can still be controlled on the camera. If you are looking for other ways to change these settings, visit The Inside Line https://gopro.com/en/us/news/gopro-app-protune-feature-updates for recommended tips and tricks.

We are also continuing to develop new features and ways of accessing existing camera settings to be most useful to GoPro users. 

Thanks!

Ej

Hiker

[ New ]

"The ability to change Protune settings and the camera beep volume are no longer on the GoPro app.

Protune and camera beep settings can still be controlled on the camera. If you are looking for other ways to change these settings, visit The Inside Line https://gopro.com/en/us/news/gopro-app-protune-feature-updates for recommended tips and tricks"

We've seen this cut and paste reply a few times on this board already. Doesn't really address the questions or concerns though does it?

Tourist

[ New ]
Thanks but you totally ignored my modest request for an answer as to why GoPro did and please NOT do the same copy and paste answer (seen that already a few times and know well about the info)
Again, please can you share the reading behind all of this?
mobile phone code cleanup?
Sightseer

[ New ]

@GoPro I'll like pro tune adjustments back on the app please Gopro. I have my GoPro in a case mounted to my helmet. When snowboarding, I can't adjust the color temp in the app no more, now I look silly on the side of the runs taking off my helmet, removing my camera from the case, and fiddling with the controls with my now cold hands. Not a good experience @GoPro , friends are looking at me fiddle with my camera and said it looks like a hassle which it is.

is there an option to download previous version?

Highlighted
Tourist

[ New ]

I think it's time to move to another camera manufacturer that doesn't screw their customers.

Sightseer

[ New ]
Install previous version 7.2.1 problem solved

https://mobile.softpedia.com/apk/capture/7.2.1/
Tourist

[ New ]
can’t install that on my iPhone :) thanks for the link anyway!
Tourist

[ New ]

There are a couple of problems with this.

1) The app probably phones home so if you have an Internet connection it's very likely there is a kill date or a kill switch that will render this version useless at any time when GoPro decides to take away more of your stuff.

2) This means you are stuck with this version forever and can't get any updates, which means if you buy a new GoPro camera this version will most likely not work with that.

3) The Android and Apple eco system is constantly deprecating older stuff in every new release of their OS, which means if you buy a new phone this version of the app will most likely not run.

So anyway you look at this, your camera is slowly turning into a paper weight.

Tourist

Betreff: Why did GoPro remove Protune from mobile phone app?

[ New ]

Ich bin auch enttäuscht & frustriet. Jetzt kann ich meine nakded GoPro 6 wegschmeißen... "Danke" GoPro 

Tourist

Betreff: Why did GoPro remove Protune from mobile phone app?

[ New ]

Yes you can thank GoPro for this. In fact I think this ist just some part of a some big plan to brick their previous cameras and force everyone to buy all new cameras. This seems to be the way of the future of GoPro.

Tourist

[ New ]

This doesn't make up for the loss of being able to control the camera from the app with protune. In my case it renders the camera virtually useless. There was no warning that this function would be lost in the upgrade. I can only think that it's a way to force more people into buying your expensive remotes. I won't be nor will I be purchasing any further GoPro products. Abysmal way to treat your customers but not that surprising anymore.

Sightseer

[ New ]

Appreciate the web link as well. Unfortunately I have an iPhone so I can't download previous versions :(

Tourist

[ New ]

If this is how GoPro is going to move forward I wish for them to refund my camera. It's useless now.

Tourist

[ New ]

Disgraceful disrespect for customers... put it back to how it was.

Tourist

[ New ]

The best way to get them to put ProTune back in the app is to leave a complaint here:

https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Everyone, please leave a complaint through the contact portal as well as here. Otherwise GoPro isn't going to get a clue. 

Sightseer

[ New ]

Fantastic idea, I'll begin reaching out to them to voice my dissatisfaction 

Tourist

[ New ]

I was able to download an old version of the android apk on another website (probaly laden with malware) and use that to restore this functionality which existed when I originally purchased the camera.  I can no longer execute this workflow using the iPad though, so preview is smaller, etc. What a pain. My GoPro sits in a drone mount/enclosure which makes the screen inaccessible.

Due to this my next purchase will definitely not being a GoPro but doing my best to keep my current stuff away from their efforts to render my existing hardware useless.

Tourist

[ New ]

all this does is set me up with a chatbot..

Sightseer

[ New ]

I was able to contact gopro customer service and voiced my concerns. I highly recommend anyone who is dissatisfied with the lack of protune functionality on the app to contact them so your concerns can be logged for the engineering team to review. I really hope they bring back protune soon for convenience sake

Tourist

[ New ]

The engineering team specifically removed protune and they know full well what the situation is:

https://gopro.com/en/us/news/gopro-app-protune-feature-updates

They even specifially mention clumsy workarounds that only work for some cameras. They don't care.

Sightseer

[ New ]

Odd how protune can be adjusted with the gopro hero 7 via the remote but hero 8 and 9 has no capability to use a remote to adjust protune. Suspect they are releasing a product to make you buy it? (Perhaps another remote that can allow protune adjust?)

Sightseer

[ New ]

First GoPro take the removable lens off the Hero 8, realise the error of their ways, and put it back on the nine (I have 2 X 8's and a Max) and then they remove one of the MOST useful tools from the app. Really! And the work around is to have a whole bunch of presets, each with it's own WB, sharpenng etc? Really???!!!

What would help GoPro, is if we knew where you were going with this. I (we?) don't, so it seems absurd. So how about a bit of information...

Roger

@GoPro 

Tourist

[ New ]

I don't think you can expect any answer here. This forums seems to be run by bots and no meaningful answers can be found.

Tourist

[ New ]

Why on earth would you remove this feature? This makes the app quite useless. It's like having a weather app that doesn't show the weather.

Also:

OP wrote:

Please DON'T link me to your Inside Line article 

GoPro wrote

visit The Inside Line for recommended tips and tricks.

Are the mods trolling us??