Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Mobile
Highlighted
Hiker
Accepted Solution

Why are my edits playing back with a black surround not full wide screen?

Ive just done my first ever edit with the android app and its playing back on YouTube in a black box. Why is this please?

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Explorer

Re: Why are my edits playing back with a black surround not full wide screen?

@quickspiri8533 

The default format is 4:3.  When this is played back in a 16:9 format the image needs to be downsized so the height of the video will fit.

43 in 169.png

When you make your edit, the first thing you want to do is change the project format to 16:9 if you are going to be uploading to to a 16:9 viewer like YouTube (although Youtube does also now have options for playing full screen portrait).  If you are going to be sharing on facebook or instagram, then 4:3 or 1:1 are generally preferred (although not mandatory).

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
GoPro

Not sure exactly but maybe :
Try to choose project format 16:9. try to pick video style Epic or Raw for example. Not Ciné, it puts bars at the top and bottom.

Highlighted
Explorer

@quickspiri8533 

The default format is 4:3.  When this is played back in a 16:9 format the image needs to be downsized so the height of the video will fit.

43 in 169.png

When you make your edit, the first thing you want to do is change the project format to 16:9 if you are going to be uploading to to a 16:9 viewer like YouTube (although Youtube does also now have options for playing full screen portrait).  If you are going to be sharing on facebook or instagram, then 4:3 or 1:1 are generally preferred (although not mandatory).

Highlighted
Hiker

Ok thanks. Do I have to change each clip manually to 16:9?
Highlighted
Explorer

No, before going into the individual clip settings, change the project ratio to 16:9 (it's the bottom tab on the right). It can get a little confusing because you can also change each individual clip's ratio.

Just FYI. You will need to create a new project (using the same clips) if you have already saved your current project in 4:3 (which you've obviously done since you uploaded to YouTube). Currently, once saved in a particular ratio the project clips retain that ratio even if you change the project.
Highlighted
Hiker

Thanks I will try again. Just another thing please. Ive made another test project and im getting text in the bottom left hand corner it is copying the video title. Have you any idea how to remove this?
Highlighted
Explorer

Your seeing this in the app, correct? Don't be concerned if it is, this will not show in the completed project video.
Highlighted
GoPro

Thanks @danielr15  You're the best :)

So when you're making a multi-clip edit > make sure to FIRST change the GLOBAL project, NOT at the level of individual media.

Know that if you first save your video in square format, then reopen and choose 16:9, all individual media will be square and you'll have to change it manually on each media.... not cool. 
Do change format at project level first thing when starting a new project :)