Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Mobile
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Why am I required to log in to use Capture?

Spot On, you don't get this nonsense with Drift for example.
The problem is GoPro are so Urban-Centric they think everyone has phone signal - so what is the problem.
That's not the case here where you are lucky to get enough signal to send txt let alone data to do the pointless repeated logging in or else Ha Ha, stuff you, you can't use your phone to change settings or use as a monitor today tough luck.
At the heart of it is desire to push adverts at you, not playing that game thanks. 

Highlighted
Sightseer

You are a little late to this party. GoPro has recently replaced the Capture App with GoPro App and it does not require a log in. While I was as frustrated as you for the years they had this problem, it should be resolved. Download and use the new GoPro app.
Highlighted
Tourist

Thanks Ej. Maybe it's okay then. The first time I launched the app last week, I'm quite sure that I was forced to make an account and sign in, but when I look today it does work on airplane mode. Not sure what is different.
Highlighted
GoPro

You are welcome @bravesand47383

Please continue to use the app and post back if you encounter any issues.

Best,

Ej

Highlighted
Tourist

[ Edited ]

@captainifr wrote:
You are a little late to this party. GoPro has recently replaced the Capture App with GoPro App and it does not require a log in. While I was as frustrated as you for the years they had this problem, it should be resolved. Download and use the new GoPro app.

This is not true.  As of today, the version currently on the Play Store, version 4.5.2, still requires an account and login to use. 

Highlighted
GoPro

Hello @loginrequired

You can opt to not login and still use the GoPro App. You only need to choose offline mode when you pair your camera with a compatible mobile device. The only limitation is that you will not have access to all the features like getting to your (GoPro) cloud storage if you have a GoPro Plus account. Try this on your end. You can  start by making sure that your phone/tablet is not connected to Wi-Fi or any data service. Let us know how it goes. 

Thanks 
Marius

Highlighted
Tourist

[ Edited ]

There are TWO issues at hand..

1) The requirement to create an account in order to use the GoPro app.

2) The requirement to be logged in to your account to use the GoPro app.

The original GoPro app required NEITHER of those things.

The CAPTURE app required BOTH of those things.

The latest GoPro app requires #1 and will take advantage of #2 if it can.  But there's apparently a way to use the GoPro camera with the latest GoPro app WITHOUT having to be logged in.  But the app still keeps track of certain data even when it's not logged in or you don't have an internet connection.

Then, according to what I've read, the moment you regain an internet connection and use the latest GoPro app it sends the saved data to GoPro's servers anyway.  GoPro gets access to your data whether you want them to or not.

Let's go back to 1980.  How many people would have purchased a Polaroid instant camera if information about when and where you took photos got sent to Polaroid?  ZERO, that's how many!

I'm no ludite.  And I'm not adverse to technology.  I embrace technology.  But the technology has to benefit the USER.

There is NOTHING about GoPro collecting data on when and where I use a GoPro camera that beneifts me.  It ALL benefits GoPro.

There shouldn't be ANY requirement of ANY kind in order to use the GoPro app with a GoPro camera.  This is even more true for people that purchased their GoPro cameras BEFORE GoPro's current data grabbing scheme.  Those who purchase current GoPro cameras get what they paid for.  But those that were already customers should NOT be forced to create an accoiunt that allows GoPro to track when and where they take photos.  Frankly, I'm surprised GoPro hasn't been sued over this yet.

Highlighted
Tourist

Not true. I just downloaded the app to my iPad Pro. And first thing it did at startup was to ask me to login. There’s no Skip button.