Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Mobile
Sightseer

Re: Why am I required to log in to use Capture?

Tried to connect to my GoPro whilst doing some filming in the middle of nowhere,  stupid thing now requires me to login.... and of course if you are in the middle of nowhere, you seldom have mobile phone coverage - or if you do, it is so hideosly slow you are unable to get it to work.  Had to abandon my filming,  feeling very angry reading all this.

All I want to do is control the camera from my phone, it's a basic request, a feature it used to have... until so called upgrade. 

I'd rather roll back the firmware if that is how it is now.

Highlighted
Hiker

[ Edited ]

Your camera no longer works? It should still be under warrant. Contact GoPro. No idea what this has to do with logging into an app.
Where/when were you promised the feature of not having to login to use the phone app?

GoPro

Hi everyone, 

If you haven't already, download Capture 3.2. There is an option to bypass the login requirement if you are in an area without service, though you'll only have to use it if it's your first time logging in and you're without service or if you somehow got logged out. There was also some improvements to the login retention so you shouldn't see many cases of getting logged out on accident. 

Sightseer

mattb - where is the option to bypass the login requirement ? Ive got 3.2 and also found situations where randomly I use the app when wifi connected to the GoPro and it asks me for a login ! It is the most stupid thing I have seen in a otherwise good IT application !

Tourist

[ Edited ]

It only appears when you don't have an internet connection. Even then, they want you to check in every 24 hours so they can mine your data. So if you can't login within 24 hours of the "bypass", GoPro is saying you can't use the app that you need to adjust your camera.

I WON'T BE BUYING ANY MORE GO PRO ITEMS!

Sightseer

Thanks, I got it to work when flight mode was on my iPhone and it's been no problem since. But I note what you say about 24 hours and I will see what happens. No other device / app I know of requires a internet logon to pair up. Quite ridiculous, as it not being able to rename or nickname the device. Besides that I am very happy with it.

BUT GOPRO, PLEASE DO LISTEN AND STOP MONITORING WHAT WE DO.

Simon

Sightseer

It is all very well partially removing this requirement, but it is still going to cause a level of uncertainty.  I need to rely on my camera equipment to work when I need it to, in the field - many miles from civilisation.  It is with utter disbelivef that GoPro is not in tune with its customer base.  The competition is catching up. 

Take this requirement out totally,  it was a bad idea... Period. 

Sightseer

> "The value to the customer is that it will allow us to understand how our customers use our products"

Do you actually believe people believe this? What if I DON'T WANT YOU WATCHING OR MONITORING HOW I USE THE PRODUCT? You don't give us an option to opt out. I work in the software industry, trust me, you guys do not write rock solid software. Not even close. I've had the same issue mentioned above -- out of cell, can't login. And I'd used the camera a week earlier. Also, what if you go a few months without logging in? "Oh, hang on everyone. I need to stop the car and log in to an app before we leave cell coverage. Otherwise I can't use the viewfinder on my camera when we are camping."  And then everyone in the car says "Wow, how convenient. That must be sto GoPro can understand how you use the product. Good on them!"