Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Mobile
Hiker

Re: Why am I required to log in to use Capture?

Jeff I understand that you must toe the party line but to say that Go Pro needs us to login so the company can see what we are using our cameras for in the face of a massive library of user created content is insulting. And if pain points are what GP is looking for well then  here's one. Smiley LOL

Nomad

Here's a couple people "pained" by GoPro's login requirement.

Grayed out the names to protect the innocent. 

reviews-noimage.jpg
Hiker

In a few years Apple will go after this market too like they're going after Garmin and the sport watch market. Can't wait to have viable competition so this doesn't have to be forced on consumers who have no choice.
Nomad

[ Edited ]

Is this still an issue, is GoPro listening to the pain of their clients? I too had to log in and battled, even though I had used the app last well within 30 days.

For some reason, I got boucned out of the Capture app (Android) and could not log back on, until I realised that the reason I couldn't log back in was because I was connected via wifi to the camera and blocked for the data cellular network. It was only after I switched off wifi on the camera and logged back into GoPro app and then re-activated wifi that I got re-connected (ohh and not to mention pulling the battery to reset the camera ...at one point I had two identical wifi SSID's for the same camera in my phone wifi signal settings!!!....I was "connected" to one of then but still not able to connect via the Capture app.....

Pain...pain, I said it before in another thread, if it ain't broke, don't try fix it...

This has truly been a trying experience getting to grips with the quirks of the "new and improved" GoPro 5....I'm hanging in there hoping that a lot will be sorted by firmware...other things like the poor/lack of visual recording indicators just cannot be resolved.

Com'on GP are you listening to your clients, are you listening to your clients?

Nomad

GoPro is ignoring the issue, there are literally hundreds of complaints on numerous forums. Some people are complaining about requiring a login to track our activities, I couldn't care less about that. For the rest of us, the requirement of a login when off the grid is the issue. If we forget to login to the App before making a trip or we get suddenly logged out, (for me it has happened twice this month well within 30 days).

The moderator hasn't responded to my question about what the 30 days means. If I l log in on the first of the month but have my trip the last week of the month to the week after, will logging off then back on just before the trip reset the 30 days? Or will half of my trip be without the GoPro App.
Nomad

So does this mean that data is transmitted to GoPro as soon as I start using the app? 

Nomad

Solution, search the net for older version of App, uninstall the "new, improve experience", install older version, TADA, no log in required, tested in Airplane mode with no data connection. Even tho the new 5 is not listed, I selected the 4 black, it searched, found and connected to my 5....settings menu accesses all new controls of 5...except of course still unable to remane device! 

Pain gone away....for now!

Highlighted
Hiker

Looks like things are really bad at Go Pro. Their sales and stock are tanking, the Karma got recalled, the Capture app is causing an uproar within the userbase, and Go Pro doesn't seem to care except to salvage the Karma's failed launch.

Goodbye Go Pro, I shall use your cameras until they break but you shall not see a single cent of my money anymore. I will even stop buying GP accessories. Plenty of alternatives in Amazon.