Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Mobile
Tourist

WHY WOULD YOU REMOVE PROTUNE?!?

[ New ]

Removing ProTune is an insult to every one of your users. Why would you do this? Your arrogance is absolutely shocking. 

Then you tell me to buy the remote? or use the GoPro Labs firmware with QR Codes? Do you understand how cameras work? Do you understand that the Hero 9 screen is crap and doesn't recognize finger presses?

GET A GRIP! UNDERSTAND YOUR CUSTOMERS! LISTEN TO YOUR CUSTOMERS!

GoPro

Re: WHY WOULD YOU REMOVE PROTUNE?!?

[ New ]

Hello, @eugened6038. The ability to change Protune settings and camera beep volume is no longer on the GoPro app. Protune and camera beep settings can still be controlled on the camera. If you are looking for other ways to change these settings, visit The Inside Line https://gopro.com/en/us/news/gopro-app-protune-feature-updates for recommended tips and tricks. We are also continuing to develop new features and ways of accessing existing camera settings to be most useful to GoPro users. 

Hiker

[ New ]

@mariustanya.... ähh... and why is it so ?

Was it intentionally removed ? and what for a reason ??

will it reappear in the next fix ... or is this another gone feature ?

Hiker

[ New ]

@mariustanya You did not answer the question, which was: WHY was it removed?

It seems insane.  So many people have cameras in mounts that obscure the back screen, and I like many own a GoPro Session, which has no screen at all!   Are you trying to force people to buy the Smart remote, or what possible justification could there be?

If you have ever used a camera, you know that setting the shutter speed is trial and error.  What used to be a 10 second job (open the app, try a few shutter speeds until you get one that works while looking at the preview, has turned into a HUGE job.

We want an answer - you're essentially bricking my GoPro sessions.   

Tourist

[ New ]

I am astonished by GoPro's arrogance and distain for their users. To remove the ability to change settings from the app, just to try to make people buy some half baked remote control is mind numbingly stupid. Why on earth would you deliberately make the users experience of your product worse on purpose? I am lost for words.

GoPro, due to your incompetent communication you fortunately still have "an out" here. Put the settings back, put out a statement saying "sorry it was just a bug" and go back to working on features people actually want. 

Hiker

[ New ]

The crazy thing is that they did this a few years ago too - they removed protune from the app, and people lost their minds.  With the next update, they put it back in.

Do they not think that there are no people who use a GoPro and don't have easy access to the back screen (and did they forget about the Session??):

-The entire FPV drone world, or in any mount that obscures the rear screen

-Use in awaterproof case

-On the outside of a car

-On a helmet

-VLOGGING (becasue there is no front facing screen on GoPros other than the 9, and it's terrible

Hiker

[ New ]

Every single competitor to GoPro has the equivalent of ProTune in their app - even the cheap knockoff $100 cameras.

Think about that, GoPro.

You would not beleive how many comments on social media I've saeen that say something like:

"This is the nail in the coffin for me" 

"That's it, I'm done supporting GoPro if they won't support me"

"Yet one more reason to buy an INsta One or other camera"

... the comments are endless.  GoPro, are you really that brain dead?   

Sightseer

[ New ]
So GoPro, I always see FPV clips in your promotion videos, now you remove protune in the app, why do you hate FPV?
Sightseer

[ New ]

bad move. bring back the protune features.

this will only lead to 1 star reviews and overall bad reputation

Tourist

[ New ]
Thanks for your reply, but your response is a cop out and is even more tone-deaf than I had anticipated. Look at what I wrote.
I DON’T NEED NEW FEATURES WHEN YOU ARE TAKING AWAY THE MOST ESSENTIAL FEATURE OF YOUR CAMERAS.

I NEED the ability to change settings from the app. I DON’T NEED the remote, or any other backwards way of changing settings.
Tourist

[ New ]

@mariustanya Please can you explain whether this is a permanent change or a temporary bug which will be fixed? I have several GoPros and am subscribed to the GoPro premium service. If this change is not going to be fixed I will need to sell all my equipment and cancel my subscription so I need some clarity on this as right now your equipment is making my job much harder than it needs to be. 

Hiker

[ New ]
The new update is absolutely horrible, why would you take away the ability to change the protune settings from the app! You also removed in the update prior to this one the ability to find new media as soon as the app connects to the camera. GoPro really needs to bring these features back, it was a pretty good app prior to these ridiculous updates!!!!
Tourist

[ New ]

Why it was need to remove protune? Anybody can explain? 

Tourist

[ New ]

Well this pretty much bricks my GoPros. Given the down turn in customer support, order fulfillment and lack of understanding their own user community, GoPro over the last 2 months have damaged their image and reputation. I doubt that GoPro will survive this latest debacle. I imagine that I'm not the only one looking at a replacement solution. 

Tourist

[ New ]

@mariustanya Your lack of willingness to answer the question as to whether this is a bug or not tells me everything I need to know.

If this was a bug you would have come straight out and said "we're really sorry, this is a bug, don't worry we're working on it" and everyone would be happy. 

But the fact that you're not answering the question at all tells me it is a deliberate change, and not just that, but a deliberate change you're wavering about. Otherwise you'd have come back and said "it's a change we've made deliberately and here's why it's going to be awesome."

But because you've said nothing at all, it tells me it's either

1. a change you're embarrassed about (you should be).
  2. a change you're testing the water with (I hope you got the response you were looking for)
  3. a change you're making and hope people get cross about and just accept in the long run (you're out of luck if so)
  4. a change that you're regretting and are now desperately trying to find a way to back away from without loosing face

I don't know which it is, but I hope for pity's sake you do something about it ASAP. 

Hiker

[ New ]

Totally unacceptable. Worst thing is, I didn't even realize the Protune controls had been removed until I was in the middle of an important shoot, with the camera mounted, and then realized that I needed to adjust the aperture. I got twenty minutes of underexposed video, because I couldn't get at the camera to touch the tiny screen in the back to make the adjustments. Taking away access to essential camera control settings in an app is absolutely nuts. I've been a loyal customer since the Hero 1. I've owned 6 diferent GoPros over the years, but this whole thing is making me rethink my commitment to the brand. If it's true that this is all about getting to people to buy a remote, (yet andother electronic device to keep track of) - count me out. Also GoPro, how about a heads up the next time you take away such functionality in the application? I could have saved that video I shot if I was made aware on the front end so I could have mad the adjustments within the app.

Tourist

[ New ]

Yes the Insta360 is looking more and more like a viable option. At least they are not screwing their customer over.

Tourist

[ New ]

If GoPro is going to sabotage this for us I want them to refund my camera. It's more or less useless now.

Sightseer

[ New ]
I would me mad enough about this if the hero 9 touch screen worked perfectly. But with that crappy touch screen it’s even worse, especially now in winter when it works 0% of the time. I’m gonna invoke my right as an EU citizen to get money back for a defective product within 6 months of purchase and get an Insta360 camera.
Tourist

[ New ]

Welcome insta36065EE07F1-D8E2-4587-8E65-8425C5791CA9.jpeg

Tourist

[ New ]

GoPro has stated that this is intentional and is permanent:

https://gopro.com/en/us/news/gopro-app-protune-feature-updates

Sightseer

[ New ]

Please add the ability to adjust protune settings back into the app.  The official responses I have read so far are inadequate.  Removing features I counted on having when purchasing my GoPro is a very unprofessional move.

Hiker

[ New ]

I called GoPro and asked them why they took it out and their response was "because there are other ways to do the same thing".   

Clearly that is not an answer and frankly I find it insulting that GoPro is giving us a BS answer like this.  That is NOT a reason to REMOVE it, as there are clearly people who use Protune on the app.  There are other who RELY on Protune being in the app (camera in a dive case, in a mount on a drone where the back cannot be accessed, people who use the Session, people who use the gopro in a place that is not erasily accessible like on a car, on top of a helmet, on the outside of a boat, etc).

There is obviously a reason they did it - The 2 reasons I can think of right now are:

1.  They want to force people to buy their newer cameras 

2.  They will be coming up with an "upgraded" app that costs money that will include ProTune.

I have 13 GoPros here at my workplace, and I can tell you without a doubt that if Protune is gone for good, then they have lost me as a customer for good.   And I'm certain that I'm not the only one.

They removed manual shutter from the Session a few years back and people lost their minds, so they put it back.  It seems absolutely brain dead to me that they would do the same type of thing again. 

I guess they are going for the amateur vlogger market, people who don't even know what a shutter is, let along how to adjust it.

Bad move, GoPro, bad move.

Hiker

[ New ]

Any company that actively makes their product WORSE for people who have already purchased it clearly takes their loyal customers for granted.

When a company starts taking their loyal customers for granted, they will feel pain.  

GoPro is a publicly traded company - NOW is the time to short their stiock like crazy.

Nomad

[ New ]

Here are old versions of the gopro app for android

https://gopro-app.en.uptodown.com/android/versions

You'll have to make sure you're Google play settings are not set to auto update, or else it will update to the new version again...

I did this to get the beep option back

Sightseer

[ New ]

I have a gopro hero 5 session...no screen on the back to adjust settings. I used to love my gopro and the products that were put out...now, I hate the --bleep-- thing!! Will never buy another gopro!!!!!

Sightseer

[ New ]

This is obsurd!!

First thing I notice about the gopro hero 9 when i first bought it was the abilty to preview your recordings from within the app was no longer possible. Now they have removed the ability to manually control the cameras setting from within the app.

I can no longer control my camera remotely, what is the point of that?

Great idea gopro

Tourist

[ New ]

Yes this seems absurd. I wonder what is in store in the future in the app, what feature will be removed next?

Tourist

[ New ]
Soon they will charge you a subscription to use the camera at all...
Tourist

[ New ]
That’s right! ))))))
Hiker

[ New ]

SO true.  

Good companies appreciate their customers.

BAD companies do things like this.

Tourist

[ New ]

These changes are a sign of what is ahead in the future for GoPro. Expect more of this.

Tourist

[ New ]
Thank you Toker420.....this is the most helpful advice....worked great.
Gopro seems pretty ignorant on this topic or helping customers.
I'll be giving future dollars to insta360.
Sightseer

[ New ]

This is is absolutely horrible for the FPV community.  I just got my naked hero 6 setup and now I can't adjust the shutter ever??  

I use it a ton for my hero 8 as well. This is a beyond idiotic move on their part.

Tourist

[ New ]

I went back to 7.1 and got my protune settings back.

Sightseer

[ New ]

Agrred - was just gettting ready to a GOPRO MAX - and will more then likely go the Insta route. 

Tourist

[ New ]

@outlawfpv wrote:

I went back to 7.1 and got my protune settings back.

It will update automatically again to the new version if you don't disable updates.

Tourist

[ New ]
Forgot to mention that.....thank you.
Once this camera breaks ill be picking up an insta360.
https://www.getfpv.com/betafpv-smo-4k-camera.html
Tourist

[ New ]

I think it is awful, not only that protune was removed from the app, but that gopro will not listen to it's customers.  Every response is, "yes, we removed it, but try this..."

The other options are truly terrible.  Protune was a great way to adjust camera settings remotely, how does any of the gopro labs options address this? a QR code?  That's idiotic when a camera is mounted somewhere that requires a ladder, underneath a car, etc.

I bought my gopro for it's ease of use.  That's actually what gopro was best at.  Removing protune from the app (and the horrible customer service reponse) proves that gopro does not care about the customer, and I will take my business elsewhere.

Hiker

[ New ]
Could you answer the question rather than just give the canned corporate reply?

Tell us why, not what workarounds might be available.
Tourist

[ New ]
Until I finally logged onto this form… I couldn’t understand why protune was removed… I thought I was losing my mind thinking that it was never there, I could’ve sworn I changed Protune settings months before!!

It just doesn’t make sense why you would want to create such an inconvenience for GoPro users!?!

It’s so counterintuitive to what GoPro would presumably stand for, is the creative freedom and access to creative tools… But it really feels like they are pushing they are products instead of pushing creativity!

So angry, perplexed and super disappointed about this!
Sightseer

[ New ]
Guessing there’s still no way around this?? Seriously GoPro! You’ve made many people’s cameras useless!! 😡😡please put it back in next update! Please!
Nomad

[ New ]

Folks, the real reason they removed Protunes from the GoPro app is because GoPro, Inc. lost a patent infringement lawsuit with Contour IP Holding, LLC.

Contour, LLC, which used to make action cameras, is no longer in business.  Contour IP Holding, LLC was formed to strictly get paid to license the intellectual property (IP) or to sue companies that infringe on the IP (such as GoPro, Inc.).

It would be safe to assume that GoPro, Inc. employees are not allowed to blame the removal of ProTunes from the GoPro app on any lawsuit or court order.  They likely aren't even allowed to discuss it.  Generally, legal departments frown upon allowing their employees to discuss any legal issues such as this.  Additionally, GoPro, Inc. may be in a position now where they have to negotiate licensing fees with Contour IP Holding, LLC.  The more business GoPro loses, the more demand there is for ProTunes in the GoPro App, the more they'll have to pay to license the IP.  Thus the alternative methods to change the settings with the remote, QR codes, etc.  While they aren't great alternatives, they are alternatives and it gives them some leverage in the negotiations.

So, while you're all angry with GoPro, try to understand that there is more at play here than just, "GoPro hates its customers."  The more they have to pay to license the IP (and that assumes that Contour IP Holding, LLC is even willing to license it), the more we will have to pay for future GoPro products.

Tourist

[ New ]

@chetk wrote:

Folks, the real reason they removed Protunes from the GoPro app is because GoPro, Inc. lost a patent infringement lawsuit with Contour IP Holding, LLC.

Contour, LLC, which used to make action cameras, is no longer in business.  Contour IP Holding, LLC was formed to strictly get paid to license the intellectual property (IP) or to sue companies that infringe on the IP (such as GoPro, Inc.).

It would be safe to assume that GoPro, Inc. employees are not allowed to blame the removal of ProTunes from the GoPro app on any lawsuit or court order.  They likely aren't even allowed to discuss it.  Generally, legal departments frown upon allowing their employees to discuss any legal issues such as this.  Additionally, GoPro, Inc. may be in a position now where they have to negotiate licensing fees with Contour IP Holding, LLC.  The more business GoPro loses, the more demand there is for ProTunes in the GoPro App, the more they'll have to pay to license the IP.  Thus the alternative methods to change the settings with the remote, QR codes, etc.  While they aren't great alternatives, they are alternatives and it gives them some leverage in the negotiations.

So, while you're all angry with GoPro, try to understand that there is more at play here than just, "GoPro hates its customers."  The more they have to pay to license the IP (and that assumes that Contour IP Holding, LLC is even willing to license it), the more we will have to pay for future GoPro products.

Well, if that's the case one could say that it might be in the best interest of the GoPro user base to seek out a law firm for representation in a class action suit against Countour IP Holdings, LLC, to seek punitive damages for interruption in workflow and usability for our rather collectively expensive, bricked GoPros.  

Tourist

[ New ]

@chetk wrote:

No that is not the reason. If you read the patent it covers remote control and image viewing which is still available in the app, so why only remove the color options?

There are 3 reasons for this:

1) The drone hobbyist have been modifying their GoPro's and removing the screen to create what is known as "naked GoPro" and as such the only way to change Protune settings is with the app.

2) They want to brick the old Session 5 which is still very popular.

3) They want to sell more of their remotes.

Nomad

[ New ]

@mountainm240i  Pretty sure that wouldn't work.  Our grievance is with GoPro Inc. and not Contour IP Holding, LLC.  It's not Contour's fault that GoPro has infringed upon their patents.  It's up to GoPro to make it right by coming up with alternative solutions that don't infringe upon those patents OR by paying a license fee to Contour to get the rights to use those patents.

Nomad

[ New ]

@kristjanb  Well, I don't know all the details about the lawsuit, but often times the details aren't disclosed in the public documents.  There are a couple of scenarios I can think of to answer your question:

1. Perhaps the patent only included connectivity over Bluetooth.  As for the Karma, it uses WiFi to communicate between the camera, drone and controller. So, perhaps the patent didn't include transmission over WiFi.  I believe the GoPro app may use bluetooth to set the protune settings wirelessly with the camera (or vice versa).
  2. Perhaps the patent didn't specify the connectivity type and covered all ways to communicate between the app and the camera.  GoPro could have licensed the image viewing portion from Contour and NOT licensed the remote control because they felt they could give us alternative methods to wirelessly control our cameras.

What I'm trying to say here, is that we don't know or have access to all of the details.  But, my guess is, GoPro didn't just remove this to screw over their customer base or to try and sell us another accessory.  They know we're pi$$ed and I'm sure they'd bring it back if it was that simple.

I'm currently going through a lawsuit.  It is the opposite of fun and, generally, the lawyers are the only winners.

Hiker

[ New ]

......and, generally, the lawyers are the only winners.......

oh yes , very true words .... the world on it's knees in front of ....  

Tourist

[ New ]

It's very frustrating that GoPro removed the Protunes settings from the mobile app. There's no work around given. Customer support doesn't even know what to say.

3/8/2021, 3:10:21 PM): please reread this--You haven't answered...what if the camera is setup just right and difficult to get to and you just need to make a protunes adjustment? How to do that? Is there a way?
Julie Ann (3/8/2021, 3:11:44 PM): Unfortunately it can only change manually via settings on the camera.
Me (3/8/2021, 3:12:12 PM): But I can't touch the camera or it moves and messes up the footage.
Me (3/8/2021, 3:12:26 PM): And it's difficult to reach the camera as well.
Julie Ann (3/8/2021, 3:13:00 PM): Yes I understand, that's the problem, the protune features is no longer available in Gopro app
Me (3/8/2021, 3:13:15 PM): So what am I to do?
Julie Ann (3/8/2021, 3:13:33 PM): I really don't have the answer for that.

GoPro hasn't given an explanation as to why they would remove Protunes. It's a feature that's been on the app for years. I'm a long time customer, and this has really put me off of GoPro. I can't see myself investing in GoPro any longer. GoPro if you do read this, PLEASE BRING BACK PROTUNES!!!!

Tourist

[ New ]

GoProが失ったもの

Protune

preview

顧客の自由度

webcamの必要要件も記載をしてください。

私のHighSierraではまだ動かないのですか?