Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Mobile
Sightseer

Unable to join wifi Hero 9

[ New ]

Hi everyone Today after few months away from my camera I was trying to see my old photos and videos inside the sd card with the gopro app. First I updated the camera through the app then I tried to connect to the wifi but the error “unable to connect” showed up. I tried some of the advices gopro told others on the forum but with no success. Has anybody found a way to get the connection working?

Gopro hero 9 v1.52 Gopro app v8.2 Iphone 12 pro ios 14.4.2

Accepted Solutions
GoPro

Re: Unable to join wifi Hero 9

[ New ]
Hi,

If the hotspot is not showing up in the app, it means that the camera is not seeing it. The dropdown menu in the app is simply a window into what hotspots the camera is detecting. If the camera isn't detecting the hotspot, it's more than likely because the Apple operating system (iOS) has stopped broadcasting the SSID of the hotspot. They do this to save battery life on their phones. They have the special and unique ability to turn on the phone's hotspot. However, they do not give developers this same access. An attempt to connect to your phone's SSID when it is not broadcasting, even if the toggle is ON, fails 100% of the time.

Here’s the workaround that has worked for others:
- Enter the live streaming config screen
- Switch over to your hotspot screen on the iOS device.
- Turn the hotspot OFF. Wait 5 seconds.
- Turn the hotspot ON. Wait ~5 seconds on the hotspot screen.
- Swap back to the GoPro app and select the dropdown.
Wait for loading spinner to go away and you should see your hotspot in the list.

View solution in original post

All Replies
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @sunnyapex270

Were you able to change the camera's WI-FI Band?

Did you also try a manual connection?

if it's still the same, try pairing the camera with another device. This will help isolate the issue further.

Thanks!

Ej

Sightseer

[ New ]

I tried swapping battery, resetting wifi settings and plugging into power and it worked, i don't know what the problem was.

Now another problem emerged... i can't find my hotspot to live streaming from my phone. 

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @sunnyapex270

We have recently released an update for the GoPro Quik app.

Can you please check if you already have v8.3?

Thanks!

Ej

GoPro

[ New ]
Hi,

If the hotspot is not showing up in the app, it means that the camera is not seeing it. The dropdown menu in the app is simply a window into what hotspots the camera is detecting. If the camera isn't detecting the hotspot, it's more than likely because the Apple operating system (iOS) has stopped broadcasting the SSID of the hotspot. They do this to save battery life on their phones. They have the special and unique ability to turn on the phone's hotspot. However, they do not give developers this same access. An attempt to connect to your phone's SSID when it is not broadcasting, even if the toggle is ON, fails 100% of the time.

Wait for loading spinner to go away and you should see your hotspot in the list.
Sightseer

[ New ]

Today I updated the app to 8.3 @aragon1006 , tried finding hotspot a first time and didn't work. then tried again with the istructions from @haindash and it worked! now everything seems working fine!

Thanks a lot for the help!! Smiley LOL

@haindash  ha scritto:
Hi,