Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Mobile
Highlighted
Hiker
Accepted Solution

Unable to Access Camera and control it or download files from it through app

I recently changed my phone and so installed the Gopro app on the new phone and connected it to my Camera. It shows connection successful but I am not able to access the camera for remotely controlling it or to access and download the videos I shot on it. I tried all the troubleshoot methods of resetting connections on both the phone and the camera and even factory reset the camera twice. I even uninstalled and reinstalled the app thrice but the same thing happens. It shows connected but is unable to access the camera.
Also I am tired of calling the helpline nos available on the website but apparently throughout the 24hrs of the day their office is always closed and also I am not able to start a chat for a new issue on the website as it says "Chat is currently unavailable for you". There is no where to contact for any sort of technical support and I am getting frustrated over this stupid issue!!

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Hiker

Re: Unable to Access Camera and control it or download files from it through app

So after almost 8months of me facing and complaining about this issue I am really happy that my Gopro Hero 5 Black finally connects to my Samsung Galaxy A50.

Samsung have finally released an update that fixes the issue whatever it actually was and Gopro as well have released a software update for the camera.

Steps that worked for me:

1. Install the Nov 2019 system update and security patch on your mobile and update your gopro app on your mobile to the latest version or uninstall and reinstall it.

2. After the system update, disconnect or forget any connections to your gopro from your mobile's settings and factory reset your Gopro camera. I tried only wireless connection reset but it didn't work so I tried factory reset.

3. Try to connect with the camera via the app. If the camera update is available by itself install it or check for camera updates through the app and install the same on your camera. It will shut down and restart a couple of times when installing the update but then it will work fine.

Hope this helps you as well as ever since I posted about this issue there have been more than 86 messages regarding the same issue.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
GoPro

Re: Unable to Access Camera and control it or download files from it through app

Hi @fireyboost70141

What camera and phone are you using?

Have you tried pairing the camera to another phone? This will help isolate the issue.

You can also try the steps on Troubleshooting GoPro App Connectivity Issues

Thanks!
Ej

Highlighted
Hiker

I use a Hero 5 Black and paired with my Samsung Galaxy A50. Previously it was paired with my Samsung Galaxy J7 Prime, it worked fine then. But ever since I changed my phone I am unable to use it via the app. I tried the troubleshoots on the website but nothing worked.
Highlighted
GoPro

@fireyboost70141, typically, the connection issue between camera and GoPro App can be resolved by resetting the Wi-Fi settings. Please follow these troubleshooting steps accordingly: 

1. Remove your camera entry from the GoPro App's history. 
    • Android: Open GoPro App. Press and hold the image of the camera and delete the entry from your camera history. 
    • iOS: Open GoPro App. Tap the pencil icon in the top-left corner of the Camera menu page. Tap the red X icon to delete the camera entry from your app’s history.  
  2. Reset your camera’s Wi-Fi settings using the instructions HERE.
  3. Delete the GoPro camera under the Bluetooth and Wi-Fi entries in your mobile device’s settings.
  4. Reboot your mobile device before attempting to re-pair to your GoPro using the instructions HERE.

In addition to this, what's the Android version installed on your mobile device? What exact error message or prompt do you get? Please post back a screenshot of the error.

Let us know how it goes.

Ann

Highlighted
Hiker

Done that already. Didn't help.
Highlighted
Hiker

My android version is 9. As such there is no error message shown but it is unable to open the camera or access the videos on it through the app. Occassional error shown is of Wifi bandwidth which says my phone may not support 5Ghz band and to change the bandwidth on my Gopro. However my phone does support 5Ghz bandwidth and 2.4Ghz as well and there is no setting in Hero 5 Black to change the bandwidth as according to the Gopro website this setting is there only for Hero 6 black and later.
Highlighted
GoPro

@fireyboost70141, that's correct. The HERO5 Black camera's built-in Wi-Fi frequency is 5GHz and 2.4GHz, b/g/n (dual band with no specific prioritization or option to select the Wi-Fi band). 

By the way, do you have the latest version of GoPro App (v5.2.3) installed?

Given that it works on your other mobile device, this could indicate that something in your Samsung Galaxy A50 is preventing the connection. Can you please check for any settings in your phone such as Network Rating Provider and Smart Wi-Fi / Wi-Fi+ (more details at Troubleshooting GoPro App Connectivity Issues) that might possibly be causing the issue?

Also, here's a couple more suggestions that I want you to test out:

• Toggle Wi-Fi OFF then back ON on the GoPro.
  • Make sure you are connected to the camera's Wi-Fi network before opening GoPro App.
  • If symptoms persist, please try toggling Airplane mode ON, wait ~10 seconds then turn airplane mode OFF.
  • You may also try temporarily disabling cellular data to see if that helps.

Your time and patience throughout this process are very much appreciated.

Let us know how it goes.

Ann

Highlighted
Hiker

Ok i shall try these steps too.
No the version shows 5.2.2 and that is the latest version available to me on Play Store last updated on 5th Apr 2019