Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Mobile
Hiker

Slicing videos by time & playing in reverse

[ New ]
Hello there everybody & the gopro staff !
How are you doing today ?
I hope everything is going well if not great .

This is a request for the GoPro software developers -
I don’t know how many people I would represent / or / can relate to this, but I’m quite sure that many many people, if not all GoPro users, that or NOT - professional videographers - would be really thankful and would really love it if you would make this thing happen.

This will enable us - the amateur videographers - who have their GoPro cameras but lack the knowledge and skills (and expensive softwares that needs to be studied) to - make our videos a little bit cooler and more interesting, and I believe it shouldn’t be a too complicated feature to add.

This feature I’m talking about is actually 2 features, plus one that I’ve already spoken about in the past.
The first feature I’m talking about is - the option to slice (or trim, as it’s called in the app) a section of a video - NOT by dragging a bar manually (untill i see the parts that I like and then sometimes when I lift the finger off the screen that bar moves and I need to do this again and again, and it gets even more complicated when I want to trim the same video, twice, at the same location, to make a smooth transition for example between real speed and slow motion, without getting the video to jump or skip parts, or replay a previous second or two),
But instead of doing that manually like that, as it is the only way possible today, I ask you to enable us users - to select the parts that we want to trim by typing in that timeframe within the video (for example from 01:25 -to- 01:30 - is the part I want to trim, so I will just type in these numbers instead of dragging that bar). That’s one.

The second feature I request you to add to the app, is the ability to run a video in reverse .
Just for what it is, but also - if for example I have a footage that only about 3 or 5 seconds or so of it - turned out well, which is very short for a video, but I still really like these 3-5 seconds and I don’t want to throw the video away, then with this ‘run-in-reverse’ mode - I can create a ‘boomerang’ like effect, where the video is being played forward and backwards in a loop.

The last thing I would like to ask, which is something that I’ve already suggested in the past, but now, if the ‘trim-by-time’ thing will be enabled, then it will kind of fix it, but I’ll just mention it anyway - it’s the option to select a certain part within a video section that with a press of a button will go slow-motion. We already have that in many smartphones, but as of today - in the GoPro app - you need to manually trim the video that you want - in the parts that you want to be played on regular speed, then - duplicate the video and trim the next bit EXACTLY where the previous bit ended (which is extremely difficult without the option to just type in the time frame, but rather you have to manually move the bar, like I mentioned in the first request), then you make this bit go at half, 1/4th or 1/8th the speed, then - duplicate the video AGAIN, and trim the next bit - again - EXACTLY where the previous part had ended.
And right now it is practically an impossible thing to do.
And although - with selecting a timeframe to trim - by typing in that time within a video (like I mentioned in the first request) - it would be easier to do so — it will be way more user-friendly to - let the video run (while editing), press a slo-mo button whenever you want it to go slo-mo, and then press the button again when you want to go back to normal speed, like the way it is on many smartphones nowadays.

That’s about it .
So please make that happen if it’s not too much to ask.
And have an awesome day 😎

Accepted Solutions
GoPro

Re: Slicing videos by time & playing in reverse

[ New ]

@eladdale 

Thanks a lot for taking the time to share your detailed feedback. I can tell you that on all aspects that you mentioned we will be working on some new things and improvements :) Good for us to know that we are on the right track!

I don't have any timeline on those things though, some as you can guess are big projects requiring lots of UI and backend work! But we've heard you (and other users) :)

Thank you!

View solution in original post

All Replies
GoPro

[ New ]

@eladdale 

Thanks a lot for taking the time to share your detailed feedback. I can tell you that on all aspects that you mentioned we will be working on some new things and improvements :) Good for us to know that we are on the right track!

I don't have any timeline on those things though, some as you can guess are big projects requiring lots of UI and backend work! But we've heard you (and other users) :)

Thank you!

Hiker

[ New ]
@haindash
Thank you very much !
That’s great to know.
Im sure many users will be very grateful for this.
Including me :)