Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Mobile
Tourist

Re: Session 5 won't reupload videos to the cloud

[ New ]
Whenever my phone connects with the GoPro it connects via mobile data, it’s always done that unless I’m doing something wrong?
I’ve gone into the WiFi settings and I can see the GoPro but it’s still connected via mobile data

The process you talk about is for uploading pictures and video from the app to the cloud, not from the camera it’s self

Absolutely rubbish system if I’m been honest

GoPro still for sale
GoPro Community Manager

[ New ]

Test it by turning off your cellular data option in your phone's settings first and then pair the phone to the GoPro. It should still be able to connect, and since your cellular data is off, it won't be used.

GoPro

[ New ]
Hello deftpeak07211,

So, the cloud feature will function as it follows:
- If the camera will upload the footage while connected to the wall, then the ecosystem will see the files as uploaded, and it won't ever reattempt to download [Imagine uploading the same footage over and over again each time the camera is plugged into the wall]
- The app will also upload all the footage that was downloaded from Camera to App tab. Now here's the catch: if you have mobile data active as you're connected to the camera, the App will fall back to mobile data for uploading files, as the Wifi connection is used to communicate with the camera.
In order to avoid this, keep the mobile data turned off as you perform activities with the camera, and afterwards connect to a WiFi AP, and the app will upload the media using Wifi connections instead of Mobile Data.

How do you know that the app is uploading?
1. Once the [non-uploaded] files are in App Media, you'll see 3 behaviors:
- If the thumbnail has a Cloud Icon on it, with a tiny watch on the cloud, that means that the media file is QUEUED for upload.
- If the thumbnail has a Cloud Icon on it, with an arrow pointing Up, then that said media file is currently being uploaded to cloud
- If the thumbnail has a Cloud Icon on it, with an exclamation mark, then the upload sequence for that media file errored out, and it'll re-attempt once you access the app again.
- If no cloud symbol is displayed on the thumbnail, then the file was uploaded to cloud.

Disclaimer: it might take some time until the media will appear on cloud tab :)

A workaround for the videos that you couldn't upload from the camera would be to:
- download them to App Tab
- Trim them with 1 second less. That will create a new video file
- That video file will be uploaded to Cloud, as it is a new media file not currently seen by our Cloud system.

Let me know if this helps, and we'll try to sort it out from there. I'm a session user too, and I've encountered these problems only with files that weren't properly concluded when recording [camera shut down, ran out of space on sd card, or out of battery issues].

Cheers,
aarlekk
GoPro

[ New ]
Also you can disable Auto Upload using Mobile Data from App>Settings> Auto Upload :), so you'll avoid wasting your mobile data on this.

Cheers,
aarlekk
Tourist

[ New ]
Thanks for the reply

I’ve turned off mobile data and connected via WiFi. I now have 3 video clips stuck on the camera/SD Card.
I managed to download the shortest clip approx 1:26 without issue however the connection dropped out on the 2nd clip and the camera turns off... Infact the camera spends more time turning it’s self off.

So I then attempted to trim the two remaining clips by a couple of seconds. It would get half way through trimming the clip before the connection drops out.

I can honestly say I’ve never felt so frustrated about a piece of tech in my life!

Surely there must be a setting so the camera stays powered on!

Again I don’t have access to a modern laptop, I’ve been editing video and uploading to YouTube (gaming channel) without issue for several years all from my smart phone
GoPro

[ New ]

Bear with me some more, we want to help:

What SD Card are you using? It does sound to me like a bad connectivity issue, because i tried to use your camera setup and connectivity, and everything works smoothly on my end :/

aarlekk