Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Mobile
Highlighted
Tourist

Saving a frame from GoPro Max 360 photo doesn’t save photo at correct orientation

I’m using the latest GoPro app (6.8) on the latest iOS (13.3.1) on an iPhone 11.

When trying to save a traditional photo from a GoPro Max 360 photo, using the “Save Frame” button, the resulting photo saved to my App folder doesn’t have the same orientation as the view it was saved it from. The resulting photo is clipped from a different frame view angle, so I can’t save the photo I want. Seems like a bug with the GoPro iOS app.
Highlighted
GoPro

Re: Saving a frame from GoPro Max 360 photo doesn’t save photo at correct orientation

Hello @pbiggs. Will you be able to post a screenshot or a clip showing the issue? This will help us get a closer look at what is going on. Thanks!

Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Saving a frame from GoPro Max 360 photo doesn’t save photo at correct orientation

Thanks, you bet. Attached a screenshot when I hit “save frame” and the resulting image. The resulting saved frame is something like 10 or 20 degrees rotated upwards from what I saved, resulting in our family being cropped out of the image.

Here is a screenshot right before I hit the “Save Frame” Button: https://cl.ly/f0d439155422

And here is a screenshot of the resulting image: https://cl.ly/cbeb8e43dc9e

Since I posted, I’ve found that using Overcapture instead of Save Frame gives me the expected results (correct orientation of the normal photo pulled from the 360 photo).
Highlighted
GoPro

[ Edited ]

Hi @pbiggs

Thanks for sharing the files. We are not able to replicate this.

Are these files already on the app prior to the update?

If yes, can you do a test recording on your camera then save it on the app.

Check if the same is observed.

To help isolate the issue, would you be able to test this with another phone?

We'd also appreciate if you can send a screen recording of your workflow.

Thanks!

Ej

Highlighted
Tourist

You bet - screencast video of my workflow, here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/iiJo7Ff2MPLGVnEU6 . I just went out today and took a few photos. Here you’ll see me open a Max 360 photo, pan to the frame I want (the statue and I, centered in the frame) and then save the frame as a new photo to the App gallery. Then I scroll to the new standard photo, and you can see that the statue and I are not centered in the saved frame — I’m halfway cropped at the bottom.

I’ll try it on my iPad next and see if it’s an issue with my iPhone.
Highlighted
Tourist

Yup -- same on my iPad: https://photos.app.goo.gl/c44FZV6y1VEEbSwZ9

I centered myself in the 360 photo, hit Save Frame, and the resulting standard photo has me cut off at the bottom and slightly rotated.

It seems like the orientation of the saved photo is related to the orientation of the Max when I took the 360 photo. It's always off axis by the same amount. 

Highlighted
GoPro

[ Edited ]

@pbiggs, thanks for posting back with the details. Just to confirm, is Gyroscope turned off? or is it enabled? Click on the three (3) dots on the upper-right to see the options. Try toggling it on or off to see if it'll make a difference.

Additionally, can you please provide us the firmware version installed on your MAX camera?

Highlighted
Tourist

The Gyroscope was turned on. I turned it off, and went through the same process, and got the same results — the resulting photo was still off center.

My Max camera says it’s on version 1.40.

I did the same process using Overcapture mode to grab a standard photo, instead of the Save Frame feature, and that worked fine. Just including that here to indicate that I can get the photos saved as expected of I go that route — suggesting there’s less chance it’s user error :)