10-20-2017 01:33 PM
I have multiple cameras and need to buy at least 5 more. as long as the camera can not be renamed, i will look somewhere else. Thats bad since I like to stay wit one brand. In the end I will be forced to retire 10 Gopros (hero4 balcks and hero5) just because there is no way to rename everything after Hero5. But on a shoot I can not deal with finding the name of a camera. GoPro will loose a lot of business over that issue!
01-12-2018 12:04 PM - edited 01-12-2018 12:08 PM
Has anyone tried using the API, to change the name or password?
The unofficial documentation here shows that it should be doable. (Note that although it says HERO4, the HERO5 web-page there refers to it, and says it's still valid).
Set GoPro WiFi name/password:
- GoPro Name: http://10.5.5.9gp/gpControl/command/wireless/ap/ssid?ssid=GOPRONAME
- GoPro Name and Password: http://10.5.5.9gp/gpControl/command/wireless/ap/ssid?ssid=GOPRONAME&pw=GOPROPASS
GOPRONAME = GoPro new WiFi name
GOPROPASS = GoPro new WiFi password
Don't forget to send a WOL packet before sending your first command (including the above). It's described in the same documentation.
01-18-2018 08:20 AM
1) Good news, I have successfuly renamed a GoPro HERO5 Session! I sent it this API command:
2) It worked fine, as when I then requested "CAMERA INFO", the LCD displayed the new name.
3) Note however that the final character was missing from the LCD display, e.g. "GOPRONAM"! There was plenty of room on the display, so that wasn't what was truncating it. It's a bug, but not a critical one, because the new SSID wasn't truncated elsewhere - it showed in full on my iPhone's WiFi settings, and also in the GoPro app.
4) In the GoPro app you'll need to add a new device, and then select your new SSID (= your GoPro's name).
5) In the GoPro app, switch on the GoPro first, before sending any API commands (including the above).
The app actually sends a WOL packet, so saving you from having to send it yourself programatically.
6) Unfortunately the API refused to change the password (despite adding a '/' to correct the URL below):
- GoPro Name and Password: http://10.5.5.9gp/gp/Control/command/wireless/ap/ssid?ssid=GOPRONAME&pw=GOPROPASS
So you need to use the password provided by the GoPro itself, on it's "CAMERA INFO" screen, something like "action1234".
7) I've proved the concept . If you're not sure how to send API commands, then sorry I leave it to someone else to volunteer a software tool. I've run out of time to make my own API tool suitable for general release.