Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Mobile
GoPro

Re: Rename Hero 6 black

Hi all!

A new pairing design was implemented beginning with the HERO5 camera model that makes it easier than ever to get connected to your camera. This design doesn't force/allow you to change the camera name or password. Unfortunately, at this time, there is no way to change the camera information.

As previously mentioned, if this is something you'd like to see on these cameras (HERO5 Session and newer models), you may leave your feedback on this link.

Regards, 

Ej

Hiker

I understand that the feature was removed sometime in the past, and apologise that only now I've found it out - my GoPro 3+ Black has been working so well that I've skipped the 4 and 5 models, and finally caved in and go the 6.

Unfortunately I have to personally disagree that it's easier to connect to the camera. Look at the screenshot. That's the screen state I need to touch if I want to access my camera. I agree that it's easier for casual users to quickly grab some content out of the GoPro into the phone and quickly upload into some social network, but for people that have other use cases e.g. taking thousands of 1 second photos and needing the app to check if the camera is correctly pointing out in some place that can't easily be seen (e.g. on the top of the car), it's surely not easier to get there, not when compared with what the app was when the GP3 was launched.

That one is ok. GoPro needs to make money and needs to promote the additional cloud and services. I fully understand that. I can live with being much harder to access the camera. What I can't live is with the security risk that now I can't have WiFi turned on anymore because someone else knows my SSID and password and can just turn my camera on (or turn it off and kill my work) whenever that person is nearby, and there is nothing I can do besides turning WiFI off and fully forgoing the feature.

IMG_3103.jpg
Sightseer

I made an account literally just to Kudo you David. They can't disregard the case you've laid out!
Hiker

Answering to myself, to be fair with GoPro, there is a menu somewhere that allows to generate a new WiFi password. It doesn't invalidate the pain of having generic GPxxx names, making it hard to identify which GoPro is being used, but at least there is a solution, burried somewhere on the menus, that allows to generate a new password and prevent people that got physical access to the GoPro *once* to continue having control of it.

Sightseer

It's easy. Just go to "Connections", scroll down to "Reset Connections". Camera will restart. Once started again, go to "Connections", then "Connect New Device", and "GoPro App." Once it comes up in the app, you can rename the camera. 

Hiker

That's the exact procedure to make the camera generate a new "randomish" password, both on the GoPro6 as well as the Fusion.

It won't allow to rename the camera though.

Tourist

[ Edited ]

Sorry davipt but you appear wrong on this one ... I followed that procedure and renamed my Hero6 Black easily ... big thanks to the previous writer who explained the "reset connections" method for doing this ...

Explorer

The reset and then rename is a new feature that came out with the last app update.