Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Mobile
Highlighted
Sightseer
Accepted Solution

Rename Hero 6 black

Why the hell wouldn't you allow people to rename the hero 6 black? Now creators with multiple heros have to remember the stupid name given to it at the factory? I used to be able to assign my own name. Makes no sense. Why would you go backwards?

Accepted Solutions
GoPro

Re: Rename Hero 6 black

Hi all!

Personalizing the camera's WiFi information has been changed to a default camera name and password which is provided by the camera itself. This option started since the launch of HERO5 Session.
This is intended to make things easier for the customer in the event of forgotten passwords.

Regards,

EJ

View solution in original post

All Replies
Hiker

The app has a menu that says “rename gopro” that does nothing. Makes no sense. The GoPro has a menu that says rename ssid that only shows the camera name / ssid and the password. It looks like they forgot to finish the implementation.
GoPro

Hi all!

Personalizing the camera's WiFi information has been changed to a default camera name and password which is provided by the camera itself. This option started since the launch of HERO5 Session.
This is intended to make things easier for the customer in the event of forgotten passwords.

Regards,

EJ

Hiker

I'm sorry to hear that. What GoPro means "is intended to make things easier for the customer in the event of forgotten passwords." in reality is a major security risk and a huge painful process. Anyone with access to the camera can easily read the camera name and password and get access to the camera… forever. The only solution is to turn WiFi off and give up the feature for good. As the iPhone app is broken anyway, and it's so painful to turn WiFi on and off (compared with the dedicated button on the GoPro 3+ Black), I've personally forgotten my GoPro has WiFi.

It's ok to have a screen on the GoPro that quickly shows the SSID and even the password *in clear text*. Just make sure the other settings menu that says "change camera name" or "change ssid" does eventually get implemented and allows advanced and security aware people to change both the camera name (to intend to really make things easier, like call them GP6-01, GP6-02, and know which is which), and to change the WiFi password.

Even better would be the GoPro cameras to be able to connect to an WiFi network in client mode, so they could all connect to an existing WiFi network, and have the apps managing all cameras in an easy way. Even Canon, which came late to the game, did implement it properly on e.g. the 800D, so why can't GoPro do it?

Tourist

I hope they consider these comments for firmware update.

GoPro

Hi everyone!

If this is an option you'd like to have in the future, you may leave your feedback here.

Thanks!

EJ

Hiker

It's not a feature we'd like in the future. It's a feature we *HAD* in the past, and was removed.

"

GoPro 6 (and 5 it seems) does not allow to change the camera name, hence the WiFi SSID, nor the password. This means that anyone with a quick physical access to the camera can go to the wifi menu and take note of the SSID and password for that camera, and have permanent access to such camera. The owner has no other choice than turning WiFi off forever and forego the camera feature.

Please allow to at least change the WiFi password, and ideally also change the camera name/SSID, so we can call them proper names when using multiple cameras, instead of having to write down the serial of each model.

This is a regression from at least my old GoPro 3 black. It allowed me to change the camera name to something more discreet, to change the password to something more secure, and it even allowed me to turn WiFi on and off with a click of a physical button.

The new GoPro can quickly enable/disable Voice control (which is great), but requires a lot of swiping and touching to reach the WiFi on/off settings.

These two issues means WiFi is kind of worthless for many people, either because it's not functional, or because it's a security risk.

"

Sightseer

Well said Davipt. Agree 100%.