Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Mobile
Highlighted
Tourist
Accepted Solution

Redering 360 video flips image 90 degrees

First off, i love the GoPro app for editing 360 footage as it has been fantastic at enabling quick reviewing, editing and producing of my kitesurfing footage.  In the last few days both before latest update and after, i appear to be having an issue of rendering an edited video where it flips the horizon 90 degrees ignoring my key frames.  I am reviewing downloaded footage and adding manual key frames and selecting transitions to prepare a 20 sec cut of video footage.  I am doing this all in landscape mode and then when I hit Save and Render Video it has always flipped my app but kept my video and key frames fine. A few days ago, my video edits started doing this weird anomaly.  I am keeping the horizon lock on.  I have tried multiple times to re-render, re-doing all keyframes and cut marks.  Still i get the same flipping of the image.  I have even tried doing this all in portrait orientation as well as landscape.  I am using 16:9.  

Thank you for your help..  

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Redering 360 video flips image 90 degrees

SOLVED it!  I turned off Horizon Leveling but left World Lock on and the 360 video rendered perfectly maintaining all of my keyframes.  I did have to re-set all my keyframes after turning off Horizon Leveling.  I have now created three separate videos with Horizon Leveling off and it works great.  I wonder if the issue has to do with my camera being mounted on my kite lines and in these maneuvers I am looping the kite 360 or 180 degrees rotating the camera.  Setting keyframes I am able to maintain the viewpoint but with horizon leveling on it was rotating the entire video 90 degrees.  Thank you very much for your help and effort diagnosing.  

Love my GoPro Max and GoPro app!  

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
GoPro

Thank you for the details that you provided, @bravejump2178. We'd like to take a closer look at this issue by attempting to replicate it. May we know which phone you are using and which OS is it running on? Do you have the latest version of the app (v6.17) installed? Does it matter which resolution setting was used for the capture? A clip or photos showing the issue will be greatly helpful. Thanks!

Highlighted
Tourist

Wow! Thank you for getting back to me to help so quickly.  I am running the latest GoPro app 6.17 on an iPad Pro (9") with the latest iOS 13.5.1.  This was happening on the previous version of GoPro app and I upgraded but still happening.  I am baffled b/c it wasn't doing this weeks ago so not sure if I did something wrong or if software related.  

Here are two pictures of a video that demonstrates the issue - note I can only include one attachment so I will respond a 2nd time with the other image.  The first picture shows my keyframes and the view of me kiting in the center of the screen when editing and setting the cut in/out marks.  Then the second picture is what my screen looks like if i hit the Save and then Render Video buttons without moving my iPad at all.  Note in the second picture it shows how the video is rending flipping the image 90 degrees, puts me out of the view and then when I watch the video its as if no keyframes are present b/c the entire video continues from this  turned viewpoint.  Again i am editing in landscape and then the app switches to portrait mode but previously that never impacted the video itself.  I have tried editing in portrait mode and switching to 4:3 and this issue continues to repeat.  Thank you for your help.

7645D6F7-B982-4743-A660-B66851372964.png
Highlighted
Tourist

Here is the 2nd pic - when rendering

5DC47283-D19C-4C8A-8CD9-41DEF22457FD.png
Highlighted
GoPro

Thank you for these, @bravejump2178. We will try to replicate the issue on our end and will share your feedback with the App team. We will keep you posted through this thread. 

Highlighted
GoPro

[ Edited ]

Hello @bravejump2178. I'm also using an iOS device (iOS 13.5.1) and I tried this on my end, but I can't seem to replicate the issue.

By the way, I have the GoPro App v6.18 installed. If you haven't installed the latest update yet, please make sure that you get your app updated.

Just to share my workflow, I start by adding a keyframe to the very first frame of the clip.

Next, I added more keyframes.

Then, rendered the video. What I've noticed was that the first frame is taken as the media's thumbnail when rendering the video.

So, as for your video, what's does the first frame looks like? Does it also happen to all the 360 media on your app?

If you continue to experience issues with your video, we'd like to gather a few more details to help us further isolate the problem. Could you please share with us a screen recording showing the issue?

Highlighted
Tourist

I am still having this 90 degree rotational issue.  Thank you for the thorough explanation of your steps - I am doing the exact same.  I just upgraded both my iOS to 13.6 and GoPro to latest 6.18 but still having the same issue.  I even downloaded a new video from my camera and edited 3 more clips.  I always set a keyframes at beginning of video as well as at beginning of clip I am cutting.  I noticed this time that the first two videos worked perfectly.  Then my third video I edited all of a sudden started rotating 90 degrees again.  In the third video i had one key frame that zoomed out, more distorted, to see my kite loop and then ended with a keyframe back like initial focuses more closely on me.  The other two videos my keyframes didn't change much during the video other than to zoom in a little or re-center.  After this third video had this distortion and started rotating again it continued to do it on every video I edited afterwards.  I would love to send you a screen recording of my workflow to show the error but how do I send to you b/c the Attachments button below doesn't let me pick video files?

Highlighted
Tourist

SOLVED it!  I turned off Horizon Leveling but left World Lock on and the 360 video rendered perfectly maintaining all of my keyframes.  I did have to re-set all my keyframes after turning off Horizon Leveling.  I have now created three separate videos with Horizon Leveling off and it works great.  I wonder if the issue has to do with my camera being mounted on my kite lines and in these maneuvers I am looping the kite 360 or 180 degrees rotating the camera.  Setting keyframes I am able to maintain the viewpoint but with horizon leveling on it was rotating the entire video 90 degrees.  Thank you very much for your help and effort diagnosing.  

Love my GoPro Max and GoPro app!