Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see if it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Mobile
Tourist

RTMP doesn't reconnect [LIVE STREAM]

[ New ]

Dear GoPro,

So unfortunately I noticed that my Gopro Hero 9 won't reconnect to the RTMP server to which I want to live stream too. 

For example when the battery is too low or the gopro dies out, I switch out the batteries and then try to reconnect on the Quick App, but when I try to go LIVE after a few seconds I get the message "Make sure your URL is correct and your streaming platform is not down"

Of course I checked if this was the case, but its not. I restarted the App, my phone, the camera and I even used a different URL feed and still won't reconnect. 

Meaning this has something to do on the app/your server its end. Weirdly enough, restarting my phone or restarting the GoPro neither work. After about 15 minutes I finaly can reconnect, but thats impossible for live streaming content to wait that long. What I think what could be the case is that you guys have some sort of a connection between the live stream function and me starting the livestream for monitoring purposes (i dont judge) or something, but this connection does not die instanly whenever I swap out batteries, thus not letting me reconnect to the RTMP live streaming server. 

Please let me know that you guys can fix this.

Here is your basic information:

Phone: Samsung A70 Android 11

Quick App version 8.4

Gopro is also very much up to date.

The GoPro has so much potential for being a wireless RTMP camera with 1080p and good enough audio comparing it to a 2000 dollar plus LiveU Solo setup. And even that setup is way to big and not as remote as the Go Pro. 

But unfortunately the GoPro's RTMP stability is a big issue. Not reconnecting and not correcting itself when it loses Bitrate for just a slight moment is a big downer. 

Hopefully you guys can help me and if you need any additional information let me know :) have a great day!

Best regards,

Sjors Versteeg

GoPro

Re: RTMP doesn't reconnect [LIVE STREAM]

[ New ]

Hi @georgefaralley

Thank you for the information shared.

Is this only happening when using RTMP?

To further isolate the issue, would you mind testing this with another phone?

We have also released an update for the app. make sure to restart your phone after updating.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

Hey @aragon1006 

I just updated the app (always happy with updates keep them coming :) )

Restarted my phone of course, but unfortunately I still get the same message when changing batteries or in other words losing GoPro power and then restarting it again to go live via RTMP, but it will say: "Make sure your URL is correct and your streaming platform is not down"

To answer your question: "Is this only happening when using RTMP?" I am not sure if that has the same problems, but I will not be using those options for quality reasons. I can include overlays and notifications with the RTMP option (well all of that happens on OBS running on my PC of course) and you can't do that with the regular Twitch option.

It tested it also on another phone that has:

Samsung S20 

Quick App version 8.5

But the same occurs. It I think it has to do something with the GoPro and the way it toggles Live streaming on the Gopro itself.

GoPro

[ New ]

Thanks for getting back to us.

We'll have this shared with the team.

Would you mind testing if the same happens when streaming to a different platform? Ex. Facebook

Regards,

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

Hey EJ,

Sorry I can't help you guys with testing to another platform, because I don't care about those platforms for my usage it needs to work with RTMP. 

Maybe the question would be better: is GoPro server/net/internet wise connected between me and my RTMP server? So another words:

FIRST:

Gopro livestream app: connected

Gopro network server: connected

RTMP server: connected/gives feed on media source on OBS

EVENT:

"Battery dies (unforseen) or Changing batteries without proper turn off"

SECOND:
Gopro livestream app: trying to reconnect to RTMP server thus connecting but will fail after 8 seconds (no proper feed mind you)

Gopro network server: still thinks it is still connected from previous session after battery dying thus gives ERROR.

RTMP server: reconnect because loss of feed, but won't receive feed because gopro network server doesn't work properly?

Thus what I think that needs to happen is that the Gopro network server needs to know it is no longer valid even when the battery dies.

Best regards,

Sjors Versteeg